Rolling the Ball Back For Good?

I predict a freeze at current-ish levels...not a "roll-back" of any significance.

But by all means, let the outrage begin...
They won’t be happy with that.. and I kind of get it. As @Jman can attest the level of speed that will be hitting the tour soon will be eye opening..

Would be reckless on the USGA’s part, and how do they then decide where to draw a line in the sand on the ball and seemingly ruin the growth of the game in recent years. Another idea is what would it take to create a new governing body in golf? They’ve benefited from being the first but who’s to say that OEM’s or the like couldn’t push to instate a new governing board for golf.

If they do roll it back, it will be interesting to see if the effect is linear across all swing speeds.

I know that people don’t care about Joe Blow, but I truly believed that the large OEMs would be powerful enough to prevent a rollback as a universal standard.

I predict a freeze at current-ish levels...not a "roll-back" of any significance.

But by all means, let the outrage begin...
Deserved outrage.

I’m just not a fan of choosing to not embrace technology and advancement.
My thoughts exactly.

I don’t have strong feelings about many things, but this is one where I think they’re trending in the wrong direction. Embrace the technology. The game will grow with it.

It blows my mind at how terrified this governing body is of skill, talent, and athleticism.
THIS. And there is NO way around this fact. They are TERRIFIED.

Gatekeeping ********.

Based on that passage, it doesn’t seem like it will be rolled back for pros only. To me it sounds like all or nothing
I read it the same way.

I don’t trust them.

So, i assume the manufacturers already have a plan. But what’s the test, the criteria.

Compression?
Ball speed?
Spin?
Distance?

I get that these are unknown, still, well, strange.

So, i assume the manufacturers already have a plan. But what’s the test, the criteria.

Compression?
Ball speed?
Spin?
Distance?

I get that these are unknown, still, well, strange.
I’d bet they don’t have any plan, because the governing body hasn’t given them a clue at what they’re going to do, other than say no to altheticism.

Stupidity pure stupidity

Just so so stupid

I’d bet they don’t have any plan, because the governing body hasn’t given them a clue at what they’re going to do, other than say no to altheticism.
Nah, i think OEMs start making contingency plans when things look like they can get weird. That said you, and others here, know the OEMs much better than me!

I hope they have a plan. Looks like they may need it!

1700776631418.gif

Nah, i think OEMs start making contingency plans when things look like they can get weird. That said you, and others here, know the OEMs much better than me!

I hope they have a plan. Looks like they may need it!

View attachment 9223806
Last year we asked about this at the grandaddy. They said “we are ready”. This is the one thing that has me less worried. The OEMs are smart. They unlocked the wedge spin code. They can do it again. It is almost as if when restrictions tighten, they do better..

To me the body that needs to bifurcate is the PGA. Every other pro sport does…MLB with wooden bats, NFL has both different rules and larger footballs, NBA the 3 point line is farther out plus some different rules. The PGA could easily put in something like 330cc max ahead size for drivers or a rolled back ball without touching the amateur game at all.

To me the body that needs to bifurcate is the PGA. Every other pro sport does…MLB with wooden bats, NFL has both different rules and larger footballs, NBA the 3 point line is farther out plus some different rules. The PGA could easily put in something like 330cc max ahead size for drivers or a rolled back ball without touching the amateur game at all.
Based on their theory it’s not a PGA Tour problem. It’s all elite golf. That is a very large number of golfers

THIS. And there is NO way around this fact. They are TERRIFIED.

Gatekeeping ********.
They are stupid is what they are..

Clutching at their ‘gems’ of courses that were designed fine for the time when golf didn’t consider power to be an asset.

GTF over it, honestly.

The PGA Tour already plays a different game than everyone else does.

Crazy firm fairways, perfect bunkers and greens, etc etc - It’s already a different game.

Based on their theory it’s not a PGA Tour problem. It’s all elite golf. That is a very large number of golfers
I think they think it is a “good” problem. Period full stop. They just say the elite, or pros to try and not scare the masses..

Last year we asked about this at the grandaddy. They said “we are ready”. This is the one thing that has me less worried. The OEMs are smart. They unlocked the wedge spin code. They can do it again. It is almost as if when restrictions tighten, they do better..
Ready or not, it shouldn’t happen, and if it does I hope some companies have the stones to produce non-conforming golf balls.

Ready or not, it shouldn’t happen, and if it does I hope some companies have the stones to produce non-conforming golf balls.
Of course. You know I agree. Just because there is a backup plan. Does not mean you should ever need it.

Back