Root For or Against?

For me I guess that depends on the situation. If it's a casual round with friends, we rib each other. So, yes I will tell them I'm hoping they duff it or top it or something along those lines. Another instance would be in THP competition. For me personally, I want to win. It is a competition at the end of the day. I want to bring my team home with a W. Do I wish all bad shots No. But some don't hurt. LOL Now if my opponent is a total jerk, then yes. I want all bad shots no matter what situation it is, under my breathe of course. Playing golf with someone who is just incorrigible isn't fun.

As JB said in the original post, there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm just curious about something. For those who wouldn't root against an opponent would you root against a field goal kicker who is attempting to kick the game winning field goal against your favorite football team? Or, hoping the batter from the opposing team strikes out with bases loaded?

If so, what's the difference between rooting against the aforementioned as opposed to rooting against your opponent in golf?
In those instances, absolutely and I will be vocal in rooting against. Those are all about winning in order to get to or win a Super Bowl, World Series, etc. That sport and winning is their job.

I think it just generally comes down to the question being about a THP experience. While competition is one aspect to an experience, to me its way down there in terms of important things to take away - THPers, sponsors, equipment, course, lodging, food, etc. are far more important. With those being what makes the experience, nothing changes for me whether I win or lose so no reason why I would root for someone to play poorly and root against them. Still want to win, but good golf all around makes everyone's experience a little better.

If I am competing against someone I'm not going to be their cheerleader, but I'm not hoping that they play below their ability either. Part of that is the "assume your opponent will make their shot" mentality. Hoping they hit a bad shot to me is close to expecting it.

I'm usually occupied with what I want or need to do, so for my opponent I take a "let's see what happens here" approach. If they hit a great shot, I'll say so, and I just need to answer it.

My attitude could change if I thought I was being sandbagged.

I’ve seen people come to blows on a golf course over this.Its golf…it’s not a high paced impact style of activity.So I would just sit on my hands and golf clap
quietly.Or just feel bad for anyone hacking it up really bad.For me golf and high intensity competitive vibe isn’t in my vocab.I think if I was competitive with it I would focus just on playing the course.And only ask the other player what he shot on the hole.

Now if it was a football game or a more athletic sport then heck yes I would cheer against.No awards or accolades for 2nd place.Any fan of athletics would be the same

I would be a real good fit for a THP event.Having a good time no matter what the score is what golf is for me.And if we hit a bad one just drop one if needed

Last edited:
Every time I’m out there I’m just trying to play my best. I enjoy seeing others shoot well too. Might not be the best competition mindset though

I can’t imagine rooting against someone at a THP event. There are no members on this forum I dislike. The desire to win/avoid losing isn’t strong enough to wish that on a friend.

That’s not to say I’m ok with playing poorly, and bad breaks work both ways. But if I can play well enough to at least hang in there with a better golfer, that would be a “win”.

I never root for someone to hit bad shots, the golf gods will SMITE people like that imo.

I just hope I hit BETTER shots than them.
This right here! No matter the shot, I just hope I hit the best shot i can everytime.

This right here! No matter the shot, I just hope I hit the best shot i can everytime.
There are probably a handful of people I might root against, but they’re all banned so I’m safe there hahaha

I never root for someone to hit bad shots, the golf gods will SMITE people like that imo.

I just hope I hit BETTER shots than them.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I had this with @Moore_Golf . I was rooting for him to hit a good shot and not go in the water on 18. I never thought about rooting against him our whole match.
I couldn't agree more. In my mind, I'm competitive and of course wanted to win. However, I wanted to see you crush it out there just as much.

Hopefully we get to tee it up together again sometime soon!

My philosophy is that golf is a competition against oneself. Challenges and advantages often change dramatically from shot to shot and my energy is better spent on accepting the situation and focusing on my game. I don't really root for or against an opponent, but a win against a golfer that has played well certainly is more satisfying. And as someone said....there is that karma thing.

Back