Root For or Against?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Question for the group as it is something I have been thinking about. If you are playing match play in a THP Experience and are competing, are you rooting for or against your opponent, shot by shot?

Meaning as they tee off, do you hope they find bunkers, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer, but was genuinely curious as it came up recently.

I never root for someone to hit bad shots, the golf gods will SMITE people like that imo.

I just hope I hit BETTER shots than them.

I am rooting for my opponent always. Bad shots will happen but I'm not rooting for them

I always root for my opponent to play well in match play. I play awful if rooting for bad things happen to others on the course. My perfect match is against someone playing well and I beat because I play better.

Especially at a THP experience I would be rooting for my opponent to hit the ball well. I want everyone to have a blast and playing well makes things more fun. That said, I still badly want to win if there's competition going on!

I'm not rooting for or against them. I'm reacting to their performance with my performance, plain and simple. Anyone who roots against someone has some serious issues to resolve.

It's not in my personality to root against an opponent in a golf match, especially in a THP Experience.

• Admin
Especially at a THP experience I would be rooting for my opponent to hit the ball well. I want everyone to have a blast and playing well makes things more fun. That said, I still badly want to win if there's competition going on!
Down by 1, heading to 9th. Your opponent on the tee, you are hoping for a good drive?
Asking genuinely

I am rooting for my opponent. As much as I want to "win", were all there for fun competition so i'm stoked when they hit a great shot.

even if it could hurt the chances of "winning".

In a THP experience, I'd be rooting for them. Bigger than me kind of thing.

Outside of a THP experience, I'm not outwardly rooting against someone but I don't mind one bit if they hit bad shots

I am rooting for my opponent always. Bad shots will happen but I'm not rooting for them
Yup.

Karma is real.

Golf gods karma is a real b*tch.

I never root for someone to hit bad shots, the golf gods will SMITE people like that imo.

This is almost word for word what I was going to say!

👆👆👆👆

I won’t root for someone to have a bad round. I think everyone can agree a close match is better than a blow out

I never root against a competitor as it seems to have bad juju for my own game.

I just hope I play less bad than my opponent.

While playing in the Morgan Cup I had my opponent audibly rooting for my ball to "get in" bunkers or water hazards.

He's no longer around and lonnnng gone. But, it really showed me and helped me understand how NOT to root in a match. If you beat me, you earned it. I'll root you on the whole way, even if I'm playing lousy. Cause that's not on you, it's on me.

Big ROOTER FOR. We are all there for the same reason. The trophy or reward is cool. The experience of it all together is way way way more important and the THP way.

Last edited:
In a THP experience, I'd be rooting for them. Bigger than me kind of thing.

Outside of a THP experience, I'm not outwardly rooting against someone but I don't mind one bit if they hit bad shots
If you are internally thinking it thats once thing but outwardly rooting against someone just makes you look/sound like a richard.

I want my opponent to play well, just like I want to play well. So I wouldn't intentionally root for them to hit one OB etc. Others have mentioned it, karma is real and I want no part of it.

Down by 1, heading to 9th. Your opponent on the tee, you are hoping for a good drive?
Asking genuinely
I mean, if we are competing Im never rooting for someone to beat me. Honestly I hope its hit where they can find it quickly but have a miserable chance at hitting the green. And then im immediately shifting focus to my own shot

Asking genuinely
I just put my head down and hope I hit a good one. Still wouldn't hope for them to mess up.

Never root against anybody. I just hope I make them beat me.

Since I'm always playing against people I know and the stakes are never that high, I always hope my opponents play well. It also encourages me to try to play to my best.

If you are internally thinking it thats once thing but outwardly rooting against someone just makes you look/sound like a richard.
Oh I've played against people like that in league. I still didn't say anything out loud, but I took great joy internally when they hit poor shots

Bad form to root against people in golf. Particularly in any THP events. Life's too short for that.

Back