Root For or Against?

If I was in an event, I would root for my "opponent" to play well even if I don't.

I'm always going to be trying to win, but at the same time I would never root against anyone. I would cheer on their good shots, and pick them up when things go south. In the end we're all on the trip of a lifetime, and no win is worth more than that memory with a fellow golfer.

Feel like I'm more observing passively and reacting for most of the match, then if they have a putt to beat me I hope they miss it

I’m always rooting for them to play good. If I win, I want it to be because I played well enough to do it not because someone played bad

Good sportsmanship is absolutely important and I want them to play well. I would have a hard time saying if they have a putt to beat me on 18 I would be actively rooting for it to go in.

Gloating or celebrating over a bad shot of theirs definitely not.

Question for the group as it is something I have been thinking about. If you are playing match play in a THP Experience and are competing, are you rooting for or against your opponent, shot by shot?

Meaning as they tee off, do you hope they find bunkers, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer, but was genuinely curious as it came up recently.
I always root for the other guy(s). I assume all their shots will be pretty good.

For some goofy reason, thinking this way always has me playing better.

I always root for the folks I golf with

I am rooting for my opponent. I think it’s in the spirit of THP, and an extension of Rule #1 around here. My opponents success is not my failure, so why not hope that it comes down to the wire and makes some THP lore.

And I don’t want someone leaving an experience thinking I’m a jerk. There are plenty of non-THP events that allow me to be as competitive as I want. For me, we are all team THP.

I am rooting for my opponent. I think it’s in the spirit of THP, and an extension of Rule #1 around here. My opponents success is not my failure, so why not hope that it comes down to the wire and makes some THP lore.

And I don’t want someone leaving an experience thinking I’m a jerk. There are plenty of non-THP events that allow me to be as competitive as I want. For me, we are all team THP.
This. 1000% this.

I don't feel like I root for or against in that case. I will still applaud you for hitting a good shot and tell you that, but I don't wish you do? if that makes sense. I don't want to beat you because you imploded, but...I'm not sure if we're competing I'm completely rooting for you in general either. Now, if you are imploding, I actually may switch to rooting for you to turn it around.

I also wouldn't expect anything different from my opponent either, and wouldn't be surprised if they were actively rooting against me. In sports overall I feel like that is the vibe most people have, but most don't outwardly express it lol

Always rooting for who I'm playing against/with to play their best. I don't want to compete with someone who is having an off day and we are out there to have fun anyway, so yeah always hoping for the best for someone.

Always root for. Good play makes golf and competition fun.

Can't say I root for them since they are my opponent, but do not wish them to play poorly. I will acknowledge good play and offer encouragement will I feel they need it but that doesn't mean I root for them to beat me.

Simply put, No. I don't root for anyone to hit a bad shot or play poorly.

As JB said in the original post, there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm just curious about something. For those who wouldn't root against an opponent would you root against a field goal kicker who is attempting to kick the game winning field goal against your favorite football team? Or, hoping the batter from the opposing team strikes out with bases loaded?

If so, what's the difference between rooting against the aforementioned as opposed to rooting against your opponent in golf?

As JB said in the original post, there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm just curious about something. For those who wouldn't root against an opponent would you root against a field goal kicker who is attempting to kick the game winning field goal against your favorite football team? Or, hoping the batter from the opposing team strikes out with bases loaded?

If so, what's the difference between rooting against the aforementioned as opposed to rooting against your opponent in golf?
Of course I would root for a missed field goal. I'd also root for a strike out with the bases loaded. Because I want my team to win.

The question was about THP experiences. I want everyone at THP experiences to have the best time and play their best. I'm not going to root for someone to mess up what could be their coolest golf experience ever. If that means I lose my match, then so be it. You're already a winner by being selected and showing up.

Good golf is always fun to watch, whether it comes from me/my team or my opponent. I do always want to compete, of course, but not at the expense of poor play from my opponent.

When @blazinden and @BuffaloPlunger were on fire at Ballyhack during the first round of the Bag Boy/Budget Championship last year, it was really awesome to watch. Draining putts from 5 miles away and flagging irons was truly a spectacle to see.

Good golf is always fun to watch, whether it comes from me/my team or my opponent. I do always want to compete, of course, but not at the expense of poor play from my opponent.

When @blazinden and @BuffaloPlunger were on fire at Ballyhack during the first round of the Bag Boy/Budget Championship last year, it was really awesome to watch. Draining putts from 5 miles away and flagging irons was truly a spectacle to see.
I do remember you offering me your driver a few times though😂

Nope, I'm not rooting for bad golf from my opponent. Now, I've never really played in competitive golf but rest comfortably knowing that I'm probably not sinking a winning putt, or holing out for a winning birdie. My golf game's not that good. It's about having fun for me.

And rooting for my football team and hoping the opposing team screws up and loses at the last second? My friend, that's not how it works for my team. They suck. Badly. And lose spectacularly at times. It's just how they are and have been for the past several years. Many times over the past couple of seasons, I've found myself rooting against them because they suck so badly. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Never root against. Not upset if a shot does wind up in a tough place, but don't hope for it. Want to be friends after the round.

Like I said earlier, when playing golf, especially in match play against a tough opponent, if it comes down to a putt, I will often hope for a miss. I see a missed putt and a missed FG as very similar, both are typically pressure packed and rarely a "sure thing."

Hoping your opponent misses a putt is a bit different than watching them completely fall apart on the tee and duff it in the water or praying for a chunked wedge.

Like I said earlier, when playing golf, especially in match play against a tough opponent, if it comes down to a putt, I will often hope for a miss. I see a missed putt and a missed FG as very similar, both are typically pressure packed and rarely a "sure thing."

Hoping your opponent misses a putt is a bit different than watching them completely fall apart on the tee and duff it in the water or praying for a chunked wedge.
Yep. Im just hoping for the opportunity to go win the match. Sometimes that comes from someone else missing a putt or hitting into trouble. Im wanting to win, its not me wanting them to lose

Yep. Im just hoping for the opportunity to go win the match. Sometimes that comes from someone else missing a putt or hitting into trouble. Im wanting to win, its not me wanting them to lose
I think we all have been in a match or two where someone is hot with the putter, making everything, and thought to ourselves "cant he just freaking miss 1 putt?"

Being completely honest, if I hit a great shot and make my putt for birdie, I am not sitting there praying for a guy to sink a miracle shot to tie me.

I root for just about everyone to do well. That applies to everything in life.

I may joke about hoping someone doesn’t find a fairway or the right speed/line on the green, but honestly I’ll be very happy for them if they do.

Even when competing - I don’t root for people to fail. I might give them a good ribbing if they do though 😂

in the THP experiences..I'm rooting for...it's an experience after all...I want to win..but I want to do it by playing better. I also want everyone there to have a good time as well

Back