Root For or Against?

I want to reiterate, nobody was speaking to celebrating a bad shot.
It was asking about wishing (vocally or non) upon a bad shot to happen to an opponent.
Still no. I hope they hit a good shot, but I hit a better one.

Golf gods karma is a real b*tch.
And they never forget. The comeuppance from the golf gods is hardly ever proportional.

Back to the OP, I'm not going to root against my opponent or wish for a bad shot. But, I'm also not sad if he hits one.

It was asking about wishing (vocally or non) upon a bad shot to happen to an opponent.
Still a big ole no from me.

I’d be living if I didn’t say that those thought creep into my mind. Just don’t vocalize them if and when they do. Not wishing for but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth either.

I am always rooting for other players. Even when I play hockey.

I am self deprecating and have to climb the hump to root for myself.

I want the competition to play well as I’d hope to beat them on a good day vs a bad day on the course.

Down by 1, heading to 9th. Your opponent on the tee, you are hoping for a good drive?
Asking genuinely
Maybe not a great insurmountable drive.
But never in the gunch.

Give me a shot at lordtox and taking the cup away then all bets are off. Anything could happen.

As I think more about it, I'm probably not "rooting" for my opponent to hit a good shot. I've never sat there and thought "I really hope they stick this one close" or "I would be thrilled if they sank this putt." At the same time, I have never thought "I hope they hit into the hazard." I just cannot actively root for someone to play bad, which I think is the main question. No matter the format, I view it as me against the course. I either have done enough to set myself up to win, or I know exactly what I have to do to win. Ultimately its on me.

I will never route for bad shots. I want everyone (especially my opponents) to play their best because that will force me to play my best and I think when good golf shots happen, everyone is happier. Bad golf shots bring out the inner hulk and some can't handle it which leads to diminishing the experience for themselves and others around them.

One caveat, unless it's the Callaway guys at The Grandaddy, then I hope it's shanksville for them. Fore right! And time to open a new box of Chrome Softs

Down by 1, heading to 9th. Your opponent on the tee, you are hoping for a good drive?
Asking genuinely
I've always "talked to the ball" and muttered some alternate outcomes on occasion... if it's heading there, I'm hoping for in the bunker vs bounce to safe... then waiting to praise the good/great shot that takes me down :)

I agree with @Jman 2nd post. I’ve been to a few experiences, and really just want to hit better shots than them. The matches that come down to the end with both sides hitting some good shots is more fun to me.

Question for the group as it is something I have been thinking about. If you are playing match play in a THP Experience and are competing, are you rooting for or against your opponent, shot by shot?

Meaning as they tee off, do you hope they find bunkers, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer, but was genuinely curious as it came up recently.

Let me go back and maybe try to clarify a little. The original question stated "in a THP Experience" in that case, yes I'm rooting for my opponent to play well and I want to win, not for him to lose. If it were a match play event of some kind outside of THP they yes, I might honestly feel different about that answer because I would be more win at all cost. The THP Experience caveat does make a difference to me.

Would one prefer to have you and your opponent play really great and you lose 1 up, or both play really poorly and win 1 up?

I never root against a playing partner or opponent. With THP members, my hope would be that all could shoot a PB, and I'd be lucky enough to witness it.

In formal competitive matches at the club, I similarly won't root against anyone. I just become very automated, stoic. I'll adapt my approach when necessary due to an opponent's good play or mishap, whatever the case may be. But, I just take things as they come, viewing their play unemotionally as if later watching a replay of the day's events.

Odd, maybe. But it serves to keep my nerves comfortably in check.

Would one prefer to have you and your opponent play really great and you lose 1 up, or both play really poorly and win 1 up?
if I’m playing for money or in a tournament, I just care about the win. I could care less how good or bad I play in order to do that.
Once it done, I’ll shake your hand win or lose and have a beer and a laugh with you.

I'm a root for good shots. I don't want to root against my opponentst. Seems like golf karma would get me long term if I rooted for my opponents to hit bad shots.

Always rooting for a good shot no matter which side. Life's to fun to be a ...

If i am playing at a THP Experience in a Team event. I want to win, every time. I also want to beat the best you, that you have. I never root for a bad shot, but I will damn sure take advantage of one if you happen to hit one.

Karma is a mean woman and we all know what they say about a woman scorned.....

Still the same answer.

I just can't bring myself to do it. My coaches in youth sports put a lot of stress on good sportsmanship above all else, and wouldn't tolerate a sore loser or a poor winner. It got drilled into my head and is just something that has always stuck with me.

I want to win, but I'll feel better about it if I beat you at your best than I would if you beat yourself and I just happened to be the beneficiary of it.

And if I was playing against somebody who was being a dick, it would be even sweeter to beat them and act like I never saw or heard anything they said or did. For somebody like that, it's more aggravating to them when they didn't get the reaction out of you that they wanted.

Question for the group as it is something I have been thinking about. If you are playing match play in a THP Experience and are competing, are you rooting for or against your opponent, shot by shot?

Meaning as they tee off, do you hope they find bunkers, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer, but was genuinely curious as it came up recently.
Against the interest of my own team, I like to see people play good golf. So, I'll cheer on my opponent if they are executing good shots. Do I want to beat them? Of course, but I'm not going to to stoop to the level of rooting for their misfortune and especially not at a THP Experience. Golf is hard. It's fun to watch people excel at it. even if it comes at my expense. Outside of a THP Experience? Yeah, fly into that water, f***er (especially if there's skin in the game). :LOL:

FOR.
there's simply nothing like seeing great golf, even if it's against me.

i do like to talk a bit of smack, so i'll deadpan compliment some aspect when your ball goes OB. but i want to get it right back, because that's in fun and golf is fun.
and when you dagger the green from 180 out to seal a match? i'll be the first to take my cap off and offer a genuine congrats.

in any competition, on the inside i'm probably wishing for the guy on a hot streak to blink already and give me a chance.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea that if one is playing in a non-THP Expereince event it is ok to root for the opposition to play poorly but in a THP competitive event it is not, particularly with all of the trash talk coming from you know who. I'm all for good sportsmanship, not showing up the opponent etc. but as Herm Edwards once said "You play to win the game"

To me those are different.
In golf you are generally playing against the course.

I hate losing, but I dont hate getting beat. I hope THPers beat me in every single match. It means they played well.
Now if I just stink, thats me losing, not getting beat.
I think this is the way I feel with most matches. I can accept losing to someone who outplays me, I get more frustrated when I beat myself and lose. Am I rooting them to fail? I don't think so but I also want my shots to go in the hole in less attempts than theirs. I also like seeing good golf shots from people and have been on both ends of the spectrum, had people pull off great shots against me and also had comments of "you have a great round going today" as I'm beating them in league.

In my one thp experience I don't think I've rooted for someone to miss even mentally. You are definitely hoping they miss if you make them putt that short one though.

Back