Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Some interesting engagements around the golf world this week, with Weiskopf saying a few things about a few things..

“I look at Rory McIlroy and I think golf is something just for Rory to do,” Weiskopf said
“I don’t see any frustration,” Weiskopf said. “Life is good and it should be – he’s a multi, multi-millionaire and has a kid now – but I don’t see the Tiger attitude. It’s like he’s satisfied all the time. The guy is not a good putter.

Full Article here

Rory definitely had some feedback..

“I’ve never met Tom Weiskopf in my life, he’s never met me, so he’s obviously making a statement based on what he sees from the outside, but I don’t think that’s a fair assessment,” McIlroy said. “I’ve shown throughout my career that I care, that I want to win, that I want to be the best. And I’ve been the best. It’s not as if I’m out there in the clouds and not thinking about it. I try my heart out on every single shot, every single tournament that I play.

“I maybe deal better with disappointment than I used to. I saw the interview where he said he sees no frustration. Like, I don’t think that’s a bad thing. I mean, look at the Zozo. I’m breaking clubs, so there’s a bit of frustration there [Laughs]. Obviously, he didn’t watch that round of golf.”

Full Article Here

What do you guys think? Does Rory still 'care' about winning?

I think Rory is a great golfer.

I think Brooks is the closest to the Tiger mentality.

I think the competition is that much better know where Rors can’t win the majors on talent alone he needs to put more work in, but I do feel the focus isn’t 💯 golf, not that it should be

he does. he just processes differently now.

Weiskopf is a troll. The reality is today’s tour is light years more competitive and difficult for these guys to win on consistently, let alone dominate. Very high road, fair response by Rory. Surprised he even bother to entertain a response.

I’m on team Rory here. Not sure what Weiskopf is basing his assumptions off.

I think he definitely cares about winning. He won 4 times (including the FedEx cup) in 2019. I think he may be suffering a bit from people that expected him to be the next Tiger, and those are impossible shoes to fill from a winning perspective.

Weiskopf is a troll. The reality is today’s tour is light years more competitive and difficult for these guys to win on consistently, let alone dominate. Very high road, fair response by Rory. Surprised he even bother to entertain a response.
I don't blame him for addressing it, because I've heard it a few times. It's an interesting take to sort of accept the good with the bad and not rage over it - and if that's not good enough for others, whatever haha! For a guy with an impressive career regardless of what happens from here on out, I kind of appreciate it.

Who is Weiskopf? Chamblee jr?

I have problem with what either of them said. Everyone is entitled to have opinions. And professional athletes should not expect to be immune from criticism. Further, the closer one is to the pinnacle of that sport, the likelihood of scrutiny or criticism is greater.

Besides, Weiskopf was correct, Rory is not a great putter

I have problem with what either of them said. Everyone is entitled to have opinions. And professional athletes should not expect to be immune from criticism. Further, the closer one is to the pinnacle of that sport, the likelihood of scrutiny or criticism is greater.

Besides, Weiskopf was correct, Rory is not a great putter
It's one thing to critique someone's game... But I don't think he's got the inside scoop on how hard Rory is or isn't working on his game.. How does he know that the two are correlated?

I know there are all the comments out there about the money in the game today being so much larger than in years past that guys are less hungry than they used to be. I'm not sure I buy that. At the end of the day money is the outcome but these guys have pride and ego that needs to be fed. I know Rory has been saying different things to play down the significance of e.g. the Open in Ireland but that to me is more just either a protection mechanism or trying a different approach. I think he is still veery hungry and as we've seen he can get on some serious heaters. I see the next 3-4 years give him 1-2 more Majors and then one more when he hits the twilight year's of his career.

It's one thing to critique someone's game... But I don't think he's got the inside scoop on how hard Rory is or isn't working on his game.. How does he know that the two are correlated?

I agree that he likely has no idea how hard Rory works or what Rory’s current passion for the game is. My point is that’s not going to stop Weiskopf from having an opinion. And Rory should expect to hear opinions about his game and his passion from people who may be misinformed or wrong.

Last edited:
I actually agree with all of this.

The whole thing reeks of “back in my day!”

He is just trolling Rory. I mean the guy is 78 and talking about Rory, is he just looking for some spotlight? I'll take Rory's 4 major wins compared to a guy with one in 1973.

He is just trolling Rory. I mean the guy is 78 and talking about Rory, is he just looking for some spotlight? I'll take Rory's 4 major wins compared to a guy with one in 1973.
While I don’t necessarily agree with him, I will never understand this argument. Basically that if one wins they are above critique because nobody will have a resume to allow it.

It would make being a sports fan rather boring if you can’t say anything other than grabbing Pom poms and saying go team go.

While I don’t necessarily agree with him, I will never understand this argument. Basically that if one wins they are above critique because nobody will have a resume to allow it.

It would make being a sports fan rather boring if you can’t say anything other than grabbing Pom poms and saying go team go.
I mean is the guy saying Rory should show more emotion? I am a Rory fan and enjoy watching him play, but he is just a guy who doesn't get overly excited about anything. Just seems to be his demeanor which I think keeps him grounded.

Back