Rotator Cuff Surgery

Thanks!

With all the crappy shots I've been hitting, does mental pain count? :angry:

I should have added that the first surgery was in April and the second was in November of last year. The club did carry over my membership for an additional $200 which took some of the hurt away because all I could do was watch the golfers from the parking lot.

Sometimes the mental pain is worse, you know you can hit a shot, but the body won’t cooperate. That was good of the club to do that, some would have said tough luck. Keep your head up, and I wish you a good recovery going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got to hit some balls yesterday, longest I have gone without hitting balls in over 10 years. Hit some chips, then hit half wedges, then some easy irons. All felt good, I was a little worried about hitting the ground and if my swing would come back. No worries, all went well, feels so great to practice again.

Finally got to hit some balls yesterday, longest I have gone without hitting balls in over 10 years. Hit some chips, then hit half wedges, then some easy irons. All felt good, I was a little worried about hitting the ground and if my swing would come back. No worries, all went well, feels so great to practice again.

Slow and steady!

Well done RA! Did you finish all your PT?

Well done RA! Did you finish all your PT?

Thanks, yes I did, still doing the workouts at home, but good to be finished going there. Just have to keep building strength and stamina in my shoulder.

Roger that - are you consulting anyone to get new exercises? I'd like to find a trainer who can help a senior golfer like me. I've read some names of the various technical professions for assistance but really don't know which IO should contact...

Roger that - are you consulting anyone to get new exercises? I'd like to find a trainer who can help a senior golfer like me. I've read some names of the various technical professions for assistance but really don't know which IO should contact...

I asked for a few exercises ahead when I finished. I am doing a full band workout, using some dumbbells, swinging a weighted club, I figure that’s enough. I will increase the resistance and reps until I am back to normal. I feel pretty good now.

Sounds great. I did some full swings yesterday with my 60 wedge and paid the price with some severe soreness - almost thought I tore something but it was ok today. And maybe I got a bit more range of motion. Isn't part of this stretching also breaking up scar tissue from the surgery? Most of my pain is in the muscles of the upper arm now. Sometimes sore, almost always stiff, and sometimes a sharp jabbing pain. Maybe this is nerve damage getting repaired as well.

Sounds great. I did some full swings yesterday with my 60 wedge and paid the price with some severe soreness - almost thought I tore something but it was ok today. And maybe I got a bit more range of motion. Isn't part of this stretching also breaking up scar tissue from the surgery? Most of my pain is in the muscles of the upper arm now. Sometimes sore, almost always stiff, and sometimes a sharp jabbing pain. Maybe this is nerve damage getting repaired as well.

Good for you! Yes the stretching will break up the scar tissue. I have some soreness everyday, but no bad pain. My range is back to normal, but my strength and muscle stamina needs work.

I played a couple of 9 holes rounds this week, felt good to get back on the course, used a lot of ice after each round.

Hi RA, how is it going? Have you been able to play a round yet?

I too just got cleared for full swings - in factm he said I should play 36 holes a day! Well, I hit about 50 balls on the range, full swing. Generally a pull-hook on most shots, but I was already working to correct that as I worked my way through the bucket. Distance was about 20% off, I was actually surprised it was that good. Even hit a few drivers, mixed bag there.

The best part - almost no pain!! When I saw the doc he was concerned that I still have some frozen shoulder symptoms. He urged me to redouble my efforts at stretching and exercises 3x per day.

Anyway, I was so happy I paid my dues for my local course today. No I have to get out there and play. Scheduled Friday 8 AM. We'll see how it goes.

Hi RA, how is it going? Have you been able to play a round yet?

I too just got cleared for full swings - in factm he said I should play 36 holes a day! Well, I hit about 50 balls on the range, full swing. Generally a pull-hook on most shots, but I was already working to correct that as I worked my way through the bucket. Distance was about 20% off, I was actually surprised it was that good. Even hit a few drivers, mixed bag there.

The best part - almost no pain!! When I saw the doc he was concerned that I still have some frozen shoulder symptoms. He urged me to redouble my efforts at stretching and exercises 3x per day.

Anyway, I was so happy I paid my dues for my local course today. No I have to get out there and play. Scheduled Friday 8 AM. We'll see how it goes.

Glad to hear you are hitting balls. I have played a few 9 hole rounds, it’s been good so far, no pain.

The first few range sessions were interesting, but my swing is coming back. It took me quite a few balls to trust it and swing away. I am going to try and play 18 holes this weekend and see how it goes. Glad to be back playing.

Round one: 102 with two OB.
Round 2 Today: 97 with 1 OB, 2 Water balls and 1 Unplayable Lie.
No pain!! Some soreness along the way, but that's the new normal....

Round one: 102 with two OB.
Round 2 Today: 97 with 1 OB, 2 Water balls and 1 Unplayable Lie.
No pain!! Some soreness along the way, but that's the new normal....

Glad to hear there is no pain, it’s easier to play that way for me too . I need ice on my shoulder after I play or it gets sore.

Round three - shot a 92 - almost back to normal! 1 Birdie and three pars! No Penalties, which on my tight little course, means no OB. Distance off the tee is 85%, but that's ok. Gotta keep practicing.....

Round three - shot a 92 - almost back to normal! 1 Birdie and three pars! No Penalties, which on my tight little course, means no OB. Distance off the tee is 85%, but that's ok. Gotta keep practicing.....

Good for you!

Glad to hear there is no pain, it’s easier to play that way for me too . I need ice on my shoulder after I play or it gets sore.

What kind of shafts are you guys playing?
I moved to Graphite this year and my shoulders which I have had surgery on both do NOT bother me anymore after playing golf. Just a thought.

Make sure you keep doing your rehab to keep those muscles strong.

What kind of shafts are you guys playing?
I moved to Graphite this year and my shoulders which I have had surgery on both do NOT bother me anymore after playing golf. Just a thought.

Make sure you keep doing your rehab to keep those muscles strong.

I am using the AMT Black stiff shaft, no issues for me.

I use graphite too - Recoils on Tour Exotics. They are stiff, and I actually lost some distance (about 10 yds) from my older regular graphite shafts. I hope to improve my clubhead speed so I should be able to take advantage of the stiff flex.

I have steel shafts on my Callaway wedges. Not sure why....

Last edited:
Ack - After a Hawaii vacation and a week away from home working, I'm in a slump. Two rounds over 100! Even my putting has gone, from 30 putts to 40 last round. I did a tuneup with our local pro, and learned I was not making a full shoulder turn. This was causing massive pushes to the right, and the occasional hard pull left as I tried to correct the problem. Anyway, I'm going back to the range again (and again) to work on this fix. Moving on!

My right shoulder hurts when I keep my arm higher than shoulder level but it's never hurt during the golf swing. I'm hoping it doesn't need surgery but it's been this way for two years now.

Best of luck homie.

anyone looked at Stem Cell or Prolo therapy??

lots of incredible things with those for shoulders and backs....

Just checking in with good news. It's 16 months after surgery, and a super wet winter that didn't allow much play. No shoulder pain, decent ROM - plenty for golf.

The good news? Today I shot a personal best 85!! There is life after getting stabbed 5 times :)

Back