Royal Albartross SoHo Storm Golf Shoes

@sunshine the pair you wore today. Is the your replacement pair, or did you repair the original pair?
65E9E686-F9A2-4212-AB72-2F54D0021704.jpeg
honestly, they seem to be holding up nicely
The separation is there but i can’t imagine it getting deeper or bigger.
Time will tell as I keep wearing them

View attachment 9202928
Seems to be isolated to the one spot. You're a 13 as well, correct? I wonder if it was a bad run in our size.
Or maybe that's not how it works. I don't know anything about the shoe manufacturing business 😂

Seems to be isolated to the one spot. You're a 13 as well, correct? I wonder if it was a bad run in our size.
Or maybe that's not how it works. I don't know anything about the shoe manufacturing business 😂
Yea, size 13. Could be….

I would think the longer the shoe, the larger lever / opportunity for points of failure
Like you, I know nothing about shoes. Just a thought.

I’ll be honest - mine still look great. I’ve been fortunate on the build, perhaps?

Also, for those interested - they have some amazing deals on their website right now. Some crazy prices on shoes and belts.
That's awesome.
Curious. What size are yours?

I can honestly say mine are no worse from where they separated in the back and i have worn them every round since they were received. I seriously love the grip on these in this parched Texas soil. Played a few courses also that have really nice grass and greens, the grip is still awesome.

I walked 13 holes tonight after work and my feet felt amazing. What a great pair of shoes. Thankfully I can also report that I have not experienced any issues with the soles or the stitching to date.

These are actually really easy to slip on and off, which is a nice feature

Hit my drive into a really soft mud hole on the 1st yesterday.

I got them dirty!
IMG_5667.jpeg

Softest/wettest conditions I've had them in yet and these held up nicely. Great grip.
Also no additional damage

Hit my drive into a really soft mud hole on the 1st yesterday.

I got them dirty!
View attachment 9204122

Softest/wettest conditions I've had them in yet and these held up nicely. Great grip.
Also no additional damage
I bet they rinse right off, lol....I like to use the Mr clean sponges on mine to keep them clean around the soles

Wore my Royal Albatross Shoes again for 3 rounds since Friday. 2 walking and one riding. So good. We had a light shower over night Friday and i walked Saturday and the soles gripped just fine, love these shoes

Gonna be a rainy week here leading up to Club Championship and wrap up for the mens group, the shoes will get a true test this week as i have 2 mini events and then head to the Beach

Tonight was my first round using the Soho Storms on a wet soggy course after the torrential rains we got this week. They held up like an absolute champ in both traction and keeping my feet dry.

Going into this I was a little leery of using them when it gets really wet up here, but today was a sign that the traction comes very close to, if not meeting, spiked shoes. I know I'll have more opportunities to use them in wet conditions, there's one very hilly course in particular I want to get to and see how they fare.

So good news/bad news today.

Good news:
most bunkers had standing water in them today, so I took the opportunity to walk into one to test the waterproof capabilities. Only went until about 3/4 The way up the shoe because I didn't want water to come in the top. This was on the second hole. Feet stayed dry. EXCELLENT performance in the puddle test. And the grip remains top notch.

The bad news:
I am starting to get more sole separation behind where I super glued the original split. Not as bad, but it does collect grass and I have to clean it out every now and then.
IMG_5685.jpeg

The leather is still separating from the sole, and has moved more toward the toe.

IMG_5684.jpeg

I'm so conflicted on these shoes. On the one hand, they are super premium as far as material, comfort and performance...but the durability during normal use for a golf shoe has been...poor.

So good news/bad news today.

Good news:
most bunkers had standing water in them today, so I took the opportunity to walk into one to test the waterproof capabilities. Only went until about 3/4 The way up the shoe because I didn't want water to come in the top. This was on the second hole. Feet stayed dry. EXCELLENT performance in the puddle test. And the grip remains top notch.

The bad news:
I am starting to get more sole separation behind where I super glued the original split. Not as bad, but it does collect grass and I have to clean it out every now and then.
View attachment 9205671

The leather is still separating from the sole, and has moved more toward the toe.

View attachment 9205672

I'm so conflicted on these shoes. On the one hand, they are super premium as far as material, comfort and performance...but the durability during normal use for a golf shoe has been...poor.
In a couple of tournaments i have played in, i have hit into spots where ball had to be retrieved from standing water as i have said in the past. They are super water tight and do not leak, now where mine sp[lit on the upper part of the shoe, and it has gotten a little larger, i would not go in again.

I wanted to post a quick update here - I wore these this past weekend during a cold, damp round on a very hilly course known for not having the best drainage.

Not only did my feet stay perfectly dry, I didn't have a single moment where I didn't feel 100% stable. Not once did I feel like I might slip given the course and conditions.

Hands down the best golf shoe I've ever owned.

I'm sitting right at the 90 day mark of receiving these shoes, so I figured id wrap up here.

I will say that they are probably the lightest, most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. and I don't just mean golf shoe - I mean any kind of shoe. the packaging is premium, the materials are premium and they look really good in person. I was a little worried about the traction when I first saw the sole, because I put a lot of force into the ground and tend to slip a lot. I had zero issues. the sole seems to be well thought out and is built for function rather than just throwing a cool looking pattern on there and hoping it works. I like that.

I did not get to play much in the rain, but I did test the waterproofing in some wet grass and some puddles, and they performed very well.

I did have some quality issues unfortunately. I am not sure when it happened, but I noticed it after the 6th hole of my second round with them. the sole began to de-laminate.

1697638349164.jpeg

this was heartbreaking because as I mentioned earlier in the thread - these were my favorite shoes.

I know one other tester had the same issue, but I believe all the other tester's shoes held up just fine.

SO do I recommend the shoe?
Hard to say. I struggle with this because its a really great shoe, but at the premium price I would expect more than 24 holes out of them without having to superglue the sole.

If my (and sunshine's) issue was a one off, I would say yes. 1000% go buy these shoes. they would be a steal at full retail price if they hold together.

@sunshine maybe you can shed some light on this (see what I did there?) did your replacement shoes hold up or did you have the same issue again?

I have always said these shoes are awesome with the grip and turf interaction. Right around the end of the first month, the seam on the top of mine broke and started to come loose. I never had the delimitation like a couple of others, my rear sole came a little loose but never got worse.

I love the comfort and durability of the shoe and the material it's made of. I S T I L L wear them and especially when i walk, which is most of the time, and they are still a great shoe.

I will wear them until the sole wears out

I'm sitting right at the 90 day mark of receiving these shoes, so I figured id wrap up here.

I will say that they are probably the lightest, most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. and I don't just mean golf shoe - I mean any kind of shoe. the packaging is premium, the materials are premium and they look really good in person. I was a little worried about the traction when I first saw the sole, because I put a lot of force into the ground and tend to slip a lot. I had zero issues. the sole seems to be well thought out and is built for function rather than just throwing a cool looking pattern on there and hoping it works. I like that.

I did not get to play much in the rain, but I did test the waterproofing in some wet grass and some puddles, and they performed very well.

I did have some quality issues unfortunately. I am not sure when it happened, but I noticed it after the 6th hole of my second round with them. the sole began to de-laminate.

View attachment 9214241

this was heartbreaking because as I mentioned earlier in the thread - these were my favorite shoes.

I know one other tester had the same issue, but I believe all the other tester's shoes held up just fine.

SO do I recommend the shoe?
Hard to say. I struggle with this because its a really great shoe, but at the premium price I would expect more than 24 holes out of them without having to superglue the sole.

If my (and sunshine's) issue was a one off, I would say yes. 1000% go buy these shoes. they would be a steal at full retail price if they hold together.

@sunshine maybe you can shed some light on this (see what I did there?) did your replacement shoes hold up or did you have the same issue again?
So I did have the delaminating sole issue on the outside of my lead foot. It really has not gotten worse. I played in them last Wednesday, plan on playing in them tomorrow. I think it makes a little bit of a weird sound when I walk on the green but I don't really notice anything in terms of performance. It was a bit of a letdown in regards to the sole starting to separate, but it mostly seems like a cosmetic issue

I never received a pair of replacement shoes, so its hard to say if it was a one-off event. Not sure what happened with that, but I'm sure it just got lost in the shuffle.

Hopefully the company addressed the wear and tear issues because they really are fantastic shoes. And very comfortable.

So I did have the delaminating sole issue on the outside of my lead foot. It really has not gotten worse. I played in them last Wednesday, plan on playing in them tomorrow. I think it makes a little bit of a weird sound when I walk on the green but I don't really notice anything in terms of performance. It was a bit of a letdown in regards to the sole starting to separate, but it mostly seems like a cosmetic issue

I never received a pair of replacement shoes, so its hard to say if it was a one-off event. Not sure what happened with that, but I'm sure it just got lost in the shuffle.
Gotcha.

View attachment 9202928
Played 27 holes in the last week In these. They are comfortable. Very, very confortable.

Great traction
Here is an update on the separation, but it really hasn’t gotten any worse. It’s really kind of just a cosmetic issue more than anything. I doesn’t really bother me, because you really have to look to even notice it

5060E306-74C9-4A90-BA14-F45F1D9A65A9.jpeg
37250CE3-6D5E-4EFC-9E45-5ECBABA58008.jpeg

played 45 holes in these this past weekend. They were awesome.

Depending on the type of white sock I wear, sometimes the in sole of the shoe will bleed a little into the sock (black in-sole). I don’t mind. Just a heads up

but finally got to test out the water resistance in a dew sweeping round. It was pretty wet. My playing partner’s shoes were dripping water in the cart

Feet stayed completely dry. It was marvelous

Back