Excited to see how my T25 work plays into my planned run tonight. Have a 10 mile run planned and will be interesting if I can keep a 7:30 min pace.

Just registered for the Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon on 4/24. Time to start pushing my training tomorrow morning.

Good luck. I know you've been training already.

What distance have you stretched out to so far? Marathon training in one month is intense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck. I know you've been training already.

What distance have you stretched out to so far? Marathon training in one month is intense!

Most I've done at one time was 20.5. I know the last 6.2 miles of a marathon rely heavily on the mental aspect.

For those that have ran a marathon in your prep did you ever run the full 26.2?

I didn't run a full 26.2 in prep. I was at 20 or 21 as my longest run before I started tapering off.

You're running way faster than I ever did for marathon prep. (I tried to keep under 9:30 pace for the full), but I would think that you're ready to go now.

The last six miles are totally mental.

I didn't run a full 26.2 in prep. I was at 20 or 21 as my longest run before I started tapering off.

You're running way faster than I ever did for marathon prep. (I tried to keep under 9:30 pace for the full), but I would think that you're ready to go now.

The last six miles are totally mental.

I would like to be around an 8 mile pace, but probably would see myself coming in just over. I think the last time I ran the 20 miles I was around 7:45.

My buddies wife qualified for Boston this past Sunday in the Shamrock marathon. She ran 3:33 in basically a nor'eastern

My buddies wife qualified for Boston this past Sunday in the Shamrock marathon. She ran 3:33 in basically a nor'eastern

That's great. I was looking qualifying times as well. This race is part of the qualifier for Boston, but don't know if I could run it under 3:15.

That's great. I was looking qualifying times as well. This race is part of the qualifier for Boston, but don't know if I could run it under 3:15.
My 4:15 time qualifies me when I'm 70

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Most I've done at one time was 20.5. I know the last 6.2 miles of a marathon rely heavily on the mental aspect.

Never ran 26.2 miles for a training run. My longest pre-race runs are based on time and the distance ranges from 21 to 23 miles. 3:30 is a common time goal for my last long run. The pace for the first 2.5 hours should feel super-easy (example 8:30). Up the pace for the last hour and see if you can hold your race pace (example 7:15-7:30). I follow a similar strategy for the race. A race goal is to have the 2nd half be no more than 10 miles slower than the first half. A small delta between halves typically means a good race. I've done 2 or 3 negative splits which isn't very common.

Good luck with your race!

Never ran 26.2 miles for a training run. My longest pre-race runs are based on time and the distance ranges from 21 to 23 miles. 3:30 is a common time goal for my last long run. The pace for the first 2.5 hours should feel super-easy (example 8:30). Up the pace for the last hour and see if you can hold your race pace (example 7:15-7:30). I follow a similar strategy for the race. A race goal is to have the 2nd half be no more than 10 miles slower than the first half. A small delta between halves typically means a good race. I've done 2 or 3 negative splits which isn't very common.

Good luck with your race!

Thanks for the information. This marathon is in just over a month. Any tips or strategy on how many times and distance to run each week?

Never a full 26.2 in prep. The most you typically see is 20, and that is at a long slow pace. Nowhere close to race pace. Ideally you'd see that about 4 weeks out, and the taper for race day goes from there. If you can do 20, you can do 26.2.

Thanks for the information. This marathon is in just over a month. Any tips or strategy on how many times and distance to run each week?
When I get home, I'm going to try to dig up some info I have from my coaching certification classes I took. This close to the race, the hay is already in the barn. You'll want to be careful not to be too aggressive pre race. On the other hand, if you haven't been following a typical build up to the marathon the past 14 weeks, your body might be able to handle higher volume and intensity with a short taper.

When I get home, I'm going to try to dig up some info I have from my coaching certification classes I took. This close to the race, the hay is already in the barn. You'll want to be careful not to be too aggressive pre race. On the other hand, if you haven't been following a typical build up to the marathon the past 14 weeks, your body might be able to handle higher volume and intensity with a short taper.

That would be great. I can say I haven't been prepping hard core the last few months. I think the longest I've went is 13miles. So I definitely need to test the waters soon to see if I can get 20 in.

That would be great. I can say I haven't been prepping hard core the last few months. I think the longest I've went is 13miles. So I definitely need to test the waters soon to see if I can get 20 in.
I had a friend do Chicago on zero training, so you're in better shape than that. I would just go in expecting to have a good time and not worry about your time.

Just finished up a ten mile run, where I caught a cramp on my 8.5 mile and couldn't shake it. Finished at a 7:42 pace. Felt good and was chilly towards the end.

First of all, I like the "go for it" attitude. You only live once! The marathon is only 4 weeks away so be very careful with your prep. It's easy to get injured if you ramp it up too fast. I also suggest making the finish line your primary goal and not your finish time. Lots of people run too fast for the first 10 miles and end up walking/jogging the last 10. I typically race with a HR monitor. The primary purpose is keeping an easy pace. Starting line excitement plus competitive juices can easily overwhelm the plan in your head (personal experience on this one). Writing out a plan is a good technique to consider.

Finishing the race with a smile and reasonable legs really depends on the first 10-15 miles. Can't stress enough that you need to start easy.

You did 13 miles last week. Suggest 16-17 this weekend at a comfortable pace (8:45 - 9:00 based on prior comments). Do 20-21 the following weekend and then 16-17 again the week before the marathon. If your legs haven't recovered from the 20-miler, then only do what's comfortable the weekend before the race. Take 1 or 2 days off after the last 16-17 and then run a couple of miles each day before the race. The runs during the last week are for your head and to keep your legs moving. They will go into recovery mode if you don't keep active before the race. You won't gain any fitness.

Additional race tidbits include grabbing water at every stop for the first 20 miles. I usually don't skip the stops until the last 1 or 2, if I'm feeling good and going for a time. You should also experiment with gels during your training runs. Taking a gel 1 hour before start, at mile 0, mile 6, mile 13, and mile 20 might work. FYI, the average athlete can digest 300 calories per hour when exercising. 300 cal/hr is too much for me when running. I usually consume 300-400 cals during the race. Each gel is ~100 calories.

Again, getting to the start line with a healthy body is really important so don't push too hard during the training runs. Running injuries happen fast.

FYI, I signed up for the Miami marathon at the expo a few years ago. The race started at 6:00 AM the next day. I was running a lot and thought it would be "easy" to jog 26.2 miles with a few thousand people. I finished but it hurt! Moral of the story is; respect the distance.

Edit: my background includes 25 marathons and lots and lots of other endurance races. Marathon PR is 3:14.

Last edited:

My tip is to eat any cookies/candy that may be passed out around mile 22. That is where I hit the wall and several times they have been passing out cookies around that mile and man it is like someone gave me a shot of adrenaline. Just enough to push you past the wall

Great information guys. Definitely going to take notes on this. So I see you suggesting long runs on the weekend, would you suggest running 4-5 miles 2-3 times outside of that large weekend run?

Previously I would run without drinking any water and realized that was insane and definitely not going to work. Ran tonight with a bottle of water and sipped ended up with about a 1/4 left when I finished. Also took a gel around mile 6.5.

You are a much faster runner than I, so my advice probably isn't all that applicable. I didn't run anything longer than 20 miles before my race, and everyone I talked to at the race didn't do farther than 22. I wish someone had told me the last 6 miles were mental because I wasn't at all prepared for how hard the last 5 miles were.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

You are a much faster runner than I, so my advice probably isn't all that applicable. I didn't run anything longer than 20 miles before my race, and everyone I talked to at the race didn't do farther than 22. I wish someone had told me the last 6 miles were mental because I wasn't at all prepared for how hard the last 5 miles were.

My sister runs marathons, but she won't give me any advice. Other than those last six Miles are all mental.

would you suggest running 4-5 miles 2-3 times outside of that large weekend run?

Yes. I've done lots of marathons averaging 35 miles per week. Monday: 5 active recovery. Wednesday: 5-7 tempo. Saturday: long run. I also bike 2x per week to gain fitness and help with recovery.

The last 6 miles is mental toughness plus what you did during the first 20. You'll see people hitting the wall around mile 16 because they started too fast. It happens at every race.

On a day that I woke up and didn't want to run because of a headache and too many beers last night. Here is to dedication with a goal in mind...
41831dcd721950bea3729212874e44e0.jpg

Had to cut it 1.2 miles short due to time and the wife having to leave for work.

On a day that I woke up and didn't want to run because of a headache and too many beers last night. Here is to dedication with a goal in mind...
41831dcd721950bea3729212874e44e0.jpg

Had to cut it 1.2 miles short due to time and the wife having to leave for work.
That route alone takes dedication, I hate runs where I split off like that.

That route alone takes dedication, I hate runs where I split off like that.

Not to mention some are running continuous circles for 2-3 miles. Limited sidewalks and that alone wears on the mental aspect. Seeing the same structures over and over...BLAH.

Not to mention some are running continuous circles for 2-3 miles. Limited sidewalks and that alone wears on the mental aspect. Seeing the same structures over and over...BLAH.
I hit a major rut when I was training around my 13-15 mile runs. I was so sick of the same routes around my neighborhood. I ended up heading downtown to run new places, and ended up joining on on group runs.

Back