Sand Valley Golf Resort - Wisconsin's newest destination

Have they broken ground for the new course they are building yet @vortex ?

Have they broken ground for the new course they are building yet @vortex ?

They moved some earth but nothing dramatic. Caddie on the first day, he also works in the pro shop, said they delayed the project to avoid taking publicity away from the newest Bandon course. I’m skeptical but that’s the reporting.

You may recall the new course will go along the far end of the range and behind the tennis courts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a second successful trip to Sand Valley a few weeks ago, here are some random notes about the courses if you're thinking about making a trip.

Ownership
Mike Keiser and his sons own Sand Valley and Bandon Dunes. Needless to say, this team understands the subtle nuances of a destination golf trip. The staff is friendly, attentive, and professional. The courses are challenging but fun. Bottom line...I think you'll enjoy a trip to Sand Valley Golf Resort.

Tee boxes
Courses are links style and the starting point for each hole naturally blends into the topography. Tee area is a better description than tee box. Most of the tee areas are located near the proceeding green.

Fairways
The vast majority of holes offer generous landing zones from the tee. Several hidden bunkers are reachable from the tee so make sure you have a plan. There’s plenty of fescue around but it’s thin and easy to hit out of. It takes a really bad shot to lose a ball on either course. I lost one ball in 6 rounds a few weeks ago. I’m certain it was findable but didn’t want to slow the pace so I dropped a new ball and kept going.

Greens
The biggest challenge on both courses is hitting out of the sand and putting. The greens are large, many have significant breaks, and they’re fast. Three putts are going to happen so just accept it. The practice green near the pro shop is the best place to roll a few putts before starting your round. This green doesn’t have the big breaks but you’ll get a feel for the speed.

Practice Area
The resort opened a new practice area in September 2018. The range and chipping area are massive and in excellent condition. TaylorMade Project (a) balls. Give yourself 15-30 minutes, plus 5 minutes for the bus ride, to try it out.

Caddies
You are not required to use a caddie. However, the course has about 300 of them. Staff members often work two jobs at the course. We went around with two guys who work in the pro shop and our dinner waitress did a loop that morning. The course has two levels of caddie service. If you need/want help with reading putts and selecting clubs, then get a “pro” caddie.

We played several rounds without a caddie. Just personal experience but I played better without a caddie. My advice is to use a caddie for your first round(s). If you’re playing in a group and pace could be an issue, then I strongly recommend caddies. They’ll keep everyone moving.

Pace of Play
Marshals diligently monitor pace and 4 hours is the standard. If you’re slow, then you’re going to hear about it. Every caddie group carries a GPS unit so marshals can quickly identify a problem. We played behind a slow group and the marshals spent a lot of time apologizing to everyone behind them. Just something to think about if you’re “that” group.

Food
Outstanding and affordable! Sand Valley has a full-service upscale restaurant, bar area, and patio for dining options. The same menu is served at each location. Most people opt for patio service on nice evenings. Live music, a firepit, and night putting are right in front of you.

The morning buffet includes eggs, bacon, hash browns, oatmeal, yogurt parfaits, plus numerous breads and fruits. You can’t go wrong with this pick.

There’s a large garden on site and all produce goes to the restaurant. The menu fluctuates throughout the growing season. Examples; berries in June, corn in July and squash in September.

Lodging
We stayed in the villas near the Sandbox. The rooms are new, extremely clean, comfortable bedding, and high-quality towels. Other than being a little spendy, I don’t know how they can improve the rooms.

Flora & Fauna
I’m pretty sure they seed many of the natural areas with wild flowers. The flowers were in full bloom and it really adds a nice touch to an already beautiful area.

The fauna includes birds, bees, butterflies, chipmunks, squirrels, wild turkeys, fox, deer, and there's probably a black bear or two deep in the woods. Most of the wildlife hides out in the forest during the day.

Locker Room
Pro tip - if you’re going to play three times in a day, then use the shower facilities between rounds two and three. The locker room is fully stocked, including Gold Bond. Showering before round 3 made a big difference. :good:

Weather
We had great weather for both trips. The first trip was in September and the second in June. You can’t beat September weather in WI but I really like the long days of June. The winds are typically calm in the morning and evening. We had mild to gusty winds in the afternoon.

Sand Valley course
The greens are big and fast. The 2nd hole is a short par 4 and sticking a ball on the green with your approach shot is borderline comical. The third hole is a longish par 3 and that’s a tough one too. After that, the course plays closer to what you’d expect.

Mammoth Dunes course
I have a slight preference for Mammoth Dunes over Sand Valley. The main reason is MD has more elevation and it seems to weave its way around the natural topography better. #14 is a short par 4 with lots of downhill and roll. It’s a unique hole but close to gimmicky. The rest of the holes are legit.

Sandbox
We played the Sandbox on the first trip. It’s a must-do! The starter gives you a Sunday/lightweight carry bag for the round. You only need to bring wedges and a putter. The course is ideal for a skins game. They have canoes filled with ice-cold beverages. Needless to say, it’s nearly impossible to walk by the beverage station on a warm evening without stopping. :drinks:

Excellent summary & one of the best I’ve seen on the site. Spot on & im looking forward to my return visit soon!

I just booked a day at SV for this coming July.

mid-morning tee time at the Sandbox par 3 course
- veteran's rate for me and my brother-in-law is only $15 each before 12noon (normally $75)
- junior rate for my son is...free

late afternoon tee time at Mammoth Dunes
- full rate $295 for us adults plus $100/bag plus tip for caddie to carry 2 bags
- junior rate for my son is...free, and he can push a cart

so it's only $460-ish for both me and my son to play both Sandbox and Mammoth including a caddie for me in the afternoon.

this is a bucket-list day of golf that's practically in my backyard so i'm super excited! :cool:
anyone have suggestions or advice?

- veteran's rate for me and my brother-in-law is only $15 each before 12noon (normally $75)

- full rate $295 for us adults plus $100/bag plus tip for caddie to carry 2 bags

so it's only $460-ish for both me and my son to play both Sandbox and Mammoth including a caddie for me in the afternoon.

this is a bucket-list day of golf that's practically in my backyard so i'm super excited! :cool:
This is awesome! I've been trying to get up there or convince our fire department group to book a weekend there. Had hoped to get up there before they started getting any major events.

Looks like such a great course. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

They'll tell you the yardage of the longest shot on sandbox before you start. Take only the clubs you need in one of the Sunday bags they provide for you there.

We played the Sandbox barefoot, which is part of the vibe there. Many here would frown upon that though 🤷‍♂️

Food at the trailer near the Sandbox should be the same as on course. Everything is a buck.

Soooooooo good! Make sure to get the chicken sandwich from the food truck at the par 3. Gosh I love that place. I'm going to go look at dates now 😂

They'll tell you the yardage of the longest shot on sandbox before you start. Take only the clubs you need in one of the Sunday bags they provide for you there.

We played the Sandbox barefoot, which is part of the vibe there. Many here would frown upon that though 🤷‍♂️

Food at the trailer near the Sandbox should be the same as on course. Everything is a buck.
Food trailer food was great and really inexpensive. Thankfully, they don't nickel and dime you on the course like many other pricey places.

Food trailer food was great and really inexpensive. Thankfully, they don't nickel and dime you on the course like many other pricey places.
I had heard this from others at my club who played there. That's really cool.

On the course they have food stations with candy bars, snacks and Gatorade that was free. And then the hallway house drinks and food were a buck or two. It's a really nice touch.

Spotted Cow can at Sand Valley: 3 bucks.
Same Spotted Cow can at Whistling Straits: 9 bucks

Whistling Straits was always the course I dreamed to play, but everyone I talk to says Sand Valley is so much better. The Straits I know is challenging and beautiful, but so much depends on weather and it's hard to justify paying that amount to have bad weather/wind from the lakes.

Still haven't played Sand Valley yet but I've enjoyed the property. A buddy of mine has a property on Lake Arrowhead pines so we often go up for a weekend and play golf at the Arrowhead courses. Many times we take a quick jaunt over to SV, have some BBQ and a beer at the Sandbox food truck and then head up to Craig's Porch for another beer or 2 in the adirondack chairs to watch and make little bets on the groups finishing on 18. Making me long for summer just thinking about it. 😎

great tips, thanks! i'm looking forward to using the Sandbox as a fun way to get in some short game warm-up. with Mammoth supposedly being generous off the tee, the scoring clubs are going to be the make-or-break on a round.

barefoot golf? that means i can wear my Birkenstock's to the course! 🦶 🩴
it's so easy to take for granted the freedom and liberties we have in this great country. 😄

it's awesome to hear that they're generous in their approach with the food and drinks.
i'm happy to pay a premium on lodging and golf, especially if i don't feel nickel and dimed on the other services.

we're playing on a Thursday and i was surprised at how full the tee times were already. they've got 3 courses open to the public this year (Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, and Sedge Valley) plus the limited access Lido course. the demand must be strong if they're filling up that much golf this far out.

we're playing on a Thursday and i was surprised at how full the tee times were already. they've got 3 courses open to the public this year (Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, and Sedge Valley) plus the limited access Lido course. the demand must be strong if they're filling up that much golf this far out.
I've heard nothing other than that they're doing well. The area seems to be doing nicely on the golf front. If you've never been, the Lake Arrowhead courses are also quite nice and fun to play. The Pines has a beautiful clubhouse and bar with a huge patio and very good food and drink selection.

Whistling Straits was always the course I dreamed to play, but everyone I talk to says Sand Valley is so much better. The Straits I know is challenging and beautiful, but so much depends on weather and it's hard to justify paying that amount to have bad weather/wind from the lakes.
A lot of the good caddies from Whistling went over to Sand Valley.

The caddie fee at Whistling is only $80, but the club takes at least half of it. The suggested gratuity is $60 per bag. When caddies at Sand Valley are getting $150+ per bag, its easy to see why.

Waiting for spring 2025 to open up. Taking this year’s Bandon group to Sand Valley in late May.

Heading to Sand Valley and Erin Hills in May, can't wait!
Make sure you hydrate. I played all 3 in two days back in 2022. Walking is mandatory and I found myself in the back of an ambulance after the last round from dehydration and cramping up. Would do it again however to play those 3 courses.

Have a 3 night trip coming up in May. Can't wait! Had to book in January 2023 for May 2024 and barely got lodging for our weekend.

Back