Sarzar's Driver Fitting

what was so different about those first 2 swings with the Rogue? Those were huge!
The first two swings with the rogue, my swing speed was a lot faster (in the high 80s/low 90s) than my average (around 75).
I am not going to be consistent at that swing speed right now so while yes i hit the sweet spot, it doesn't account for the misses.
If my swing speed was that high with my current gamer I'd probably get similar carry distance.

@Sarzar thanks for sharing you driving fitting experience. Honestly, I can believe there is there is a hint of disappointment in that there is no magic new and different head and shaft combo that will give you better driving results.

"All in all I did really enjoy seeing my true numbers and learning more about the clubs I've been using and how they perform." I think that you did achieve something even if you didn't walk away with a new driver or shaft in your future.

Best of luck with your current driver (the one that you know performs best for you).

Awesome write up @Sarzar. I really enjoy reading about everyone’s golf journeys and this was well done again. Unfortunately there was no new, shiny equipment to take home. On the bright side, you have a well fit driver that’s working well for you. Your iron gapping was interesting but I guess it makes sense.

Have you looked at swapping out your 3W with a 7W, assuming there’s a gap between your 5W and hybrid? At your swing speed it can be more difficult to elevate the 3W consistently and more loft may get you better gapping and a more usable club. Do you have a WITB thread?

Love the break down on this. Even though there was no smoking gun winner that gave you better control and better distance, the knowledge that you are in good equipment now to match your swing is gold.

I have no doubt you will be back there at the end of the season dropping bombs ready for and ready to take advantage of an upgrade.

The first two swings with the rogue, my swing speed was a lot faster (in the high 80s/low 90s) than my average (around 75).
I am not going to be consistent at that swing speed right now so while yes i hit the sweet spot, it doesn't account for the misses.
If my swing speed was that high with my current gamer I'd probably get similar carry distance.
ahh. I was wondering if the heavier weight in the head might have made it easier to swing a little faster.

@Sarzar I just want to say, you construct some very well thought out threads. It's a fun follow!

@Sarzar had her normal golf swing that I usually see from her on the range / course which was nice to get for the fitting.

I had a feeling nothing would knock out her driver but I thought maybe a new 5w/ hybrid might sneak in there but an oldie but goodie reigns supreme.

I also liked the "blacked out for national security reasons" lines.

Have you looked at swapping out your 3W with a 7W, assuming there’s a gap between your 5W and hybrid? At your swing speed it can be more difficult to elevate the 3W consistently and more loft may get you better gapping and a more usable club. Do you have a WITB thread?
I have not looked at a 7W. The gap between my 4H and woods is shown here:
Screenshot_20220428-022349~2.png
The brown is my 3W, the orange is my 5W, and the darker purple that overlaps the brown is is my 4H.
This obviously isn't all of my clubs, I was going down my bag every other club as time allowed.
The biggest gap is between my woods & driver. This graph is showing carry distance only, not total yards with rollout.

I do have a what's in the bag post: WITB - Sarzar Edition

ahh. I was wondering if the heavier weight in the head might have made it easier to swing a little faster.
One day I would like to compare the women's vs men's head weights in the rogue to see if I feel a difference or see a difference in numbers.

I have not looked at a 7W. The gap between my 4H and woods is shown here:
View attachment 9084478
The brown is my 3W, the orange is my 5W, and the darker purple that overlaps the brown is is my 4H.
This obviously isn't all of my clubs, I was going down my bag every other club as time allowed.
The biggest gap is between my woods & driver. This graph is showing carry distance only, not total yards with rollout.

I do have a what's in the bag post: WITB - Sarzar Edition
Know that the you work out based on your posts (At least I think I have that right or at least take care of what you intake)
Think you got tired at the end? Think splitting up the fitting would have made a difference?

One day I would like to compare the women's vs men's head weights in the rogue to see if I feel a difference or see a difference in numbers.

There is a point of diminishing returns on weight ... that is all.

Great breakdown @Sarzar! You didn't come out with a new driver, but from the sounds of it you weren't necessarily looking for a new one based on the love for your gamer.

In THP fashion, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest to you that a new head cover could extend the useful life of your existing driver. Maybe something by Dormie Workshop or Robert Mark?

Know that the you work out based on your posts (At least I think I have that right or at least take care of what you intake)
Think you got tired at the end? Think splitting up the fitting would have made a difference?
I was pretty consistent all the way through. I was trying to focus on what I typically do on the course and not trying to smash the ball. When I try hitting it as hard as possible, that's when I don't have as much control so there is a lot higher chance of misses.

I wasn't very tired at the end. I took short couple minute breaks in between clubs. I also swung an iron a couple times in between some of the driver setups to break up the monotony & stay fresh.

I completed all my swings with the different driver options within an hour. The fitting was an hour & a half long. That's why I was able to get some distances with my irons.

Good follow @Sarzar ! Nothing wrong with finding out you're already in the best setup for you. Great to have some baseline numbers to follow your own improvement too.

Great write-up. I really appreciate all the information. How was it decided which drivers you tested?

Great write-up. I really appreciate all the information. How was it decided which drivers you tested?
I let the fitter decide on the heads & shafts based off the numbers he was seeing and the results we were trying to achieve. He also considered my gamer since I am comfortable with it.
He is the expert and he did so well during my putter fitting and the couple other times we stopped by to ask him questions, that I put my trust in him to make the selections.

I had another driver fitting today...
Tried a handful of different combinations and I'm sticking with my current driver once again.
The outcome... working on my alignment, shoulder position being square (closed compared to what I'm used too) and foot position (where the ball is compared to my front foot and the distance I am away from the ball).

Mind you, it's been a couple months since I swung my clubs so it was nice to just be able to get some swings in. Now time to practice more.

I had another driver fitting today...
Tried a handful of different combinations and I'm sticking with my current driver once again.
The outcome... working on my alignment, shoulder position being square (closed compared to what I'm used too) and foot position (where the ball is compared to my front foot and the distance I am away from the ball).

Mind you, it's been a couple months since I swung my clubs so it was nice to just be able to get some swings in. Now time to practice more.
Sadly, I think this is where 98.74% of us really are. When I think I need a new driver, I give it to someone in my foursome who is better than I am and tell them to hit it. When they inevitably crush it 50-100 yards further than I do, I save $500.00. It's bittersweet. Knowing I'm the problem sucks, but the sweet $500 in my pocket tempers my sadness.

Did the new combinations net close to the same results as the previous fitting?

I found a new driver on sale at Tour Edge, looks in mint condition. Thay saved me $400.

Sadly, I think this is where 98.74% of us really are. When I think I need a new driver, I give it to someone in my foursome who is better than I am and tell them to hit it. When they inevitably crush it 50-100 yards further than I do, I save $500.00. It's bittersweet. Knowing I'm the problem sucks, but the sweet $500 in my pocket tempers my sadness.

Did the new combinations net close to the same results as the previous fitting?
I only did this fitting because I had a coupon for it, not because I thought I needed a new driver. The guy was great and understood this. I gave him the forewarning that I haven't golfed for a couple months so my swing probably wouldn't be the greatest.

I went in open minded knowing that I may or may not end up with something new.
All the results were in the same general area, some longer, some shorter, but not enough of a difference for it to make sense to buy a new driver.

He was super helpful and gave me some pointers to practice. It was also nice to get some swings in on all my clubs.

Tried out the new Ai Smoke line today.
I tried the Max, Max Fast, Max D, and Max D +1.
All heads were in the Decent 40g shaft except the Max Fast which was in Eldio 40L.

1000011667.png

1000011668.png

The Max Fast was a no good. Way to light and could not get timing down.
The Max D has too much of a draw for me and was inconsistent.
The Max when I swung it after my current driver was the best option and felt good, however when I went back to it at the end, i had a lot more mishits. I'm blaming this on the amount of swings. Fatigue took over there.

I'm not going to jump in right away and get it, but I'll definitely try it out again to see how performance is after I get more swings in this year.

That's a great increase and looks like a winner, just curious what driver model is your gamer now.

Back