Sauerkraut....yay!!!! Or Nay....

Look my last name is Korfmacher. It’s German . My fathers parents immigrated (legally) through Ellis Island in 1924 from the motherland just outside of Düsseldorf Germany. My mother’s side of the family is 50-60% German as well.....so I’m basically and American Kraut.

Which leads me to this topic. Some people love it...some people can’t live without it. Some people hate it and can’t stand the smell. I contend you can literally put sauerkraut on any sandwich, taco., wrap, as a side, an appetizer, a sauerkraut ball....the possibilities are endless. Cleveland being a very European ethnic town has had a resurgence of the love for this cabbagey goodness and I wondered if it’s making its way around other parts yet.

This place makes the absolute best sauerkraut I’ve ever had and it’s because they have so many different varieties that you can basically eat it cold, on its own. Lol www.clevelandkraut.com

0b5f6089dc6a8f86d300dc53699ba37f.jpg
8fab0a93c3b11a6c2684212f83870a69.jpg
c19e2877dc35b8ef067cc32294e2d607.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife is polish, pickles and saurkraut came up early, very good stuff. Especially mushroom & saurkraut pierogi.

Big YAY! My family makes it every year and it gets used for New Years dinner. Then it gets canned for use throughout the year.
Nothing beats homemade Kraut!

We have krout every so often. I like it.

My Mom use to make it, and my Wife will open a can of it up if I ask for it.

She adds bits of summer sausage to the mix.

Being an American Kraut myself, fathers side 100%, mothers side 50%. Grandparents where from Munich. But its a hard no from me. Only 3 things I despise in the food realm.
1. Sauerkraut
2. Brussel Sprouts
3. Liver

Yep, we eat a lot of sauerkraut around here. Usually Kühne brand or home made. When eating it as a side, I like a bit of fresh ground pepper on top.

1629856063611.jpeg

Never was into it. My wife likes it though.

Only on a rueben sandwich from time to time.

IYKYK
DD7B2002-98C7-4EBC-954F-884F745A425E.jpeg

I like it on a Ruebenbut that is it. I don't think i have ever put it on a brat.

🤮🤢🤢

Big fat no for me. Growing up i used to move out for a day or two when my parents made kraut. It’ll never ever be in my house. Ever.

I like (almost) all things cabbage.
Fried cabbage. Cabbage rolls. Slaw. Chow chow. Raw cabbage. But I *hate* kraut (and boiled cabbage).

It’s been a NO every New Years Day for me since I was 21 and mom couldn’t tell me what to eat.

And it’s a NO every New Years to my wife since then.

Used to hate it. Still not fond of the smell. Damn good on a hot dog.

How do you know when sauerkraut goes bad? Does it start smelling good?

nope, naw, nay

My parents were from Hanover, Germany. I got more than a lifetime supply as a child. I'll pass.

I love kraut! But, kraut does not love me back! I suffer for several days post ingestion, for internal distress! i don't like it, and realized it a few years ago, after buying some stuffed cabbage, from a local carryout. I just erupted!

Back