Scalping at the masters???? Really

KevvDogg

Reaction score
Handicap
[h=1]Richmond County deputies charge 24 with scalping Masters tickets :nono:[/h][h=2]Ticket scalping an issue at club gates[/h]
Pam Harwell expected her Tuesday would be spent walking along the rolling green hills of Augusta National Golf Club, taking in the beautiful scenery and watching the best golfers in the world practicing their trade.
Instead, she spent her afternoon sitting on a vinyl sofa, waiting for her husband to be released from the Richmond County jail.
Aubrey Harwell Jr. was one of 24 people arrested outside the gates of Augusta National on Tuesday – all charged with disorderly conduct for violating the city’s ticket scalping ordinance.
Before coming out for Tuesday’s practice round, the Atlanta couple had been informed by friends that they could easily get tickets from patrons leaving for the day, Harwell said.
She said her husband approached a man near the corner of Berckmans and Washington roads and offered him $20 for his ticket. As soon as the exchange took place, both men found themselves under arrest, Harwell said.
“We did it right there in front of the officer. We didn’t know,” said Harwell, who was waiting to hear when her husband would be released on the $500 bond she had posted. The bond amount will serve as his fine, should he decide to plead guilty to the charge, authorities said.
Harwell said this was her first Masters Tournament and she had no idea there was a law against buying and selling tickets within 2,700 feet of the event’s gates.
“I don’t think we will be coming back,” she said.
Those arrested ranged from old to young – 72 to 18 – and from as far away as Ontario, Canada. One man from Augusta and two from Aiken were among those charged.
Outside the jail Tuesday afternoon, a crowd gathered and waited for family and friends to be released on bond.
None wanted to be named, but many complained that the law was confusing with the plethora of ticket brokers doing open business up and down Washington Road. They weren’t aware there was a 2,700-foot buffer zone where no ticket transactions could be conducted.
One man said he bought a ticket last year and didn’t have a problem. This year, he said he was arrested while trying to buy a ticket for his 12-year-old daughter.
He said he was walked away in handcuffs while his daughter remained behind with a friend.
Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay said in addition to the 24 arrested for violating the ordinance, one man was charged with violating state law.
Edward Martin Testa, 47, of Hudson, Ohio, was arrested at Gate 9 and charged with ticket scalping. He was being held on $5,000 bond.
Deputies also filed a juvenile complaint against a local teen for trying to buy tickets too close to the event. Gay said the boy was released to his parents.
Gay said deputies are focusing their efforts on people who are stopping patrons outside the club gates. Even attempting to negotiate a ticket sale to take place at a different location is not advisable.
“Some are doing it inside the gates,” Gay said.
“We don’t want patrons being harassed by people asking them for tickets right as they come out,” he said.
If people would conduct their business outside the 2,700-foot boundary there will be no problem, he said.
“We are not arbitrarily picking folks out of the crowd,” Gay said.

I was waiting to read that people were selling them for triple the face value...didnt expect busts over $20 purchases lol

Well, I would have to think really hard about not buying from them if I was in the area. There is a demand.

This 'buffer' zone is pretty standard at the major NCAA bball events I've been to in recent years. Sux that they do it with guys who are with their kids, but a sign or 2 telling people about the buffer zone would help make it easier for outsiders to be informed.

I was waiting to read that people were selling them for triple the face value...didnt expect busts over $20 purchases lol

Plus whats gets me is they would be ok with it as long as its past the 2700 ft boundary???? WTH.... I guess if your past that mark thats when the ticket prices raise??? Im baffled about the boundary part,,,scalping is illegal period, or atleast I thought

Sounds like a great reason to cuff somebody and take them to jail :\

I remember when the police used to actually arrest bad people doing bad things..

Putting a guy in handcuffs for trying to get his daughter a ticket to watch golf? Please.

Tapatalking from my iPhone

I remember when the police used to actually arrest bad people doing bad things..

Putting a guy in handcuffs for trying to get his daughter a ticket to watch golf? Please.

Agreed. I'm sure there are other crimes going on in the Augusta area that need more attention than this. A simple use of signage would solve this problem but I guess that just makes too much sense, eh?

Flat out stupid on the police. You know what, if you see people doing it, why not just tell them to conduct their business another 500 feet away and that it's "legal". People being taken away from their kids because they were 300 feet away from it being ok. So stupid on the law enforcement.

It is just another way for the area to earn more revenue. Why do you think cars will never be computerized. If the states can't write any more speeding tickets they will go broke. Same principle here. 2700 foot boundary...is it clearly marked? Is there a big circle painted all over Augusta GA marked 2700 feet? This is just ludicrous. So much for to serve and protect.

It is just another way for the area to earn more revenue. Why do you think cars will never be computerized. If the states can't write any more speeding tickets they will go broke. Same principle here. 2700 foot boundary...is it clearly marked? Is there a big circle painted all over Augusta GA marked 2700 feet? This is just ludicrous. So much for to serve and protect.

exactly

Flat out stupid on the police. You know what, if you see people doing it, why not just tell them to conduct their business another 500 feet away and that it's "legal". People being taken away from their kids because they were 300 feet away from it being ok. So stupid on the law enforcement.

Or just give them a ticket for it.. Is it really something that necessitates handcuffs???

Scalping laws are state-by-state, and they are enforcing the Georgia state law which is where the 2700 feet comes from (so that people don't get accosted by scalpers between the parking lots and the venue.

There is now an entry plaza before the ticket entrances at the National, and I bet that there are in fact signs reminding patrons of that law. This has been a practice that people have done for a while, and I'm not sure why they suddenly decided to enforce the law.

Back