Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Who owns a Super Rat?

Why did you acquire it?

Do you game it?

What makes it better than a retail Scotty?

I want one... I'm just too cheap to fork up that kind of dough. I think @Canadan Has one and games it quite often.

Who owns a Super Rat?

Why did you acquire it?

Do you game it?

What makes it better than a retail Scotty?
No rat, but I have a couple Circle T’s.

Some will argue, but, the difference is minimal, as is often the case with Tour putters. Biggest difference is usually aesthetics, but materials and milling can also vary.

They’re a lot of fun, and look cool as hell. But if they’re worth it or not, is on the individual.

No rat, but I have a couple Circle T’s.

Some will argue, but, the difference is minimal, as is often the case with Tour putters. Biggest difference is usually aesthetics, but materials and milling can also vary.

They’re a lot of fun, and look cool as hell. But if they’re worth it or not, is on the individual.

Totally agree, the pictures of the Super Rat putters are way cool looking, but has already been mentioned it's way above my pay grade.

scotty-cameron-tour-super-rat-deep_1_4d8e5335cc724c142a657b45951e52ed.jpg

I have one. Some would argue that I should never even look at another putter.

Feel is outstanding for me. I love a tightly milled face with lots of audible feedback. It pairs well with the GSS insert, although I'd admittedly prefer to have a 'one piece' putter.

It's based off the 009 shape which is longer heel to toe than an off the rack Newport.

The roll is typically end over end which is a big deal for me. I'm not a plug and play guy with putters, and can be a bit finicky. Over time I can tend to figure stuff out, but I'd argue it's one of the spaces where my confidence is worn on my shoulder.

I'll openly admit I want it to be a long neck for the face balancing, but I'm not going to mess with it.

While there are plenty of Scotty's that are circle T and really are only differentiated by a stamp, there isn't an off the rack option that is equitable to a Super Rat. The last time he did GSS in an insert was the Studio Style, which lacks adjustable weights, and is in a newport shape (more compact).

I'm kind of in the middle ground of wishing the Super Rat wasn't so 'manufactured' aka using stamping on the face and sole instead of machining the details, I get why it'd be harder for them to accomplish. They are hardly unique in that regard, but, significantly more unique than something you can just buy at the golf store.

While there are plenty of Scotty's that are circle T and really are only differentiated by a stamp, there isn't an off the rack option that is equitable to a Super Rat. The last time he did GSS in an insert was the Studio Style, which lacks adjustable weights, and is in a newport shape (more compact).

I'm kind of in the middle ground of wishing the Super Rat wasn't so 'manufactured' aka using stamping on the face and sole instead of machining the details, I get why it'd be harder for them to accomplish. They are hardly unique in that regard, but, significantly more unique than something you can just buy at the golf store.
Last time I was at the gallery I asked someone there what the difference was between a circle t and an off the shelf scotty. The answer I got was for most lines, it could be a material change, or softening the edges, or different sight lines and necks... plus the custom stamping and collectibility. He did mention what you said about the super rat though.. the gss insert and the 009 shape makes it unique to anything off the shelf.

I have one, and have had about 6. They're not better than normal 009 or Tour Rat in my opinion. Insert provides a nice contrast (so some) but no real benefit as it's not dampened by anything.

I have one, and have had about 6. They're not better than normal 009 or Tour Rat in my opinion. Insert provides a nice contrast (so some) but no real benefit as it's not dampened by anything.
I still don't understand why for the Tour Rat they had just the basic SCOTTY CAMERON engraving on the face. Putting a big cherry dot with the circle T in it, or doing some sort of unique Scotty Cameron engraving/stamping there would have made it SO much better.

I still don't understand why for the Tour Rat they had just the basic SCOTTY CAMERON engraving on the face. Putting a big cherry dot with the circle T in it, or doing some sort of unique Scotty Cameron engraving/stamping there would have made it SO much better.
I think because it never made it out of "prototype" phase to begin with. Why they didn't change it up on the 2nd gen, I don't know. I agree. It's kinda dumb

I think because it never made it out of "prototype" phase to begin with. Why they didn't change it up on the 2nd gen, I don't know. I agree. It's kinda dumb
It's one of the main reasons why I don't own one. Great entry point into the oo9 shape, but way too basic from a visual standpoint. At least the presentation on the Super Rat is less 'stock'

Also, I think these are overpriced from a re-sale perspective. Great for the seller, but I don't think they should hold the value they do.

It's one of the main reasons why I don't own one. Great entry point into the oo9 shape, but way too basic from a visual standpoint. At least the presentation on the Super Rat is less 'stock'

Also, I think these are overpriced from a re-sale perspective. Great for the seller, but I don't think they should hold the value they do.
Ebbs and flows, my friend. Like I'm sure I've mentioned before, I've bought and sold rats (both reg and super unleaded) for <$1400

The hype market surrounding putters went kind of nuts over the last two years, but if ebay is any indication, it's trending down. I mean, look at the fact that lamb collectors can't give away a putter (with good reason) right now.

Ebbs and flows, my friend. Like I'm sure I've mentioned before, I've bought and sold rats (both reg and super unleaded) for <$1400

The hype market surrounding putters went kind of nuts over the last two years, but if ebay is any indication, it's trending down. I mean, look at the fact that lamb collectors can't give away a putter (with good reason) right now.
Lamb makes putters?

What do you mean by “(with good reason)?” I am just learning about these super high end putters. Is Lamb losing his sparkle?

@Canadan post a pic of yours, id like to see what it looks like, please!

What do you mean by “(with good reason)?” I am just learning about these super high end putters. Is Lamb losing his sparkle?
Lamb never had sparkle. Just because you can learn how to use a CNC machine doesn't mean you know how to make a good putter. I think, in the short period where people took him seriously, others (who possess discernible talent) began to realize the power of social media, indirect marketing, flooding the market with prop shop putters - perceived value begins to bottom out.

That's not to say the prop shop makers weren't there beforehand - they most certainly were, but without Instagram it was strictly word of mouth.

Back