JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago we featured a Brand Story on the company. If you missed that you can find it here.

This thread will serve as a review thread for all of the thoughts on Seed golf balls.

Interesting story

I like the story a lot and the price is reasonable (if you get the free shipping 😉)

Might have to try a dozen or two. I think I'd fall into multiple golf balls of theirs. There are a couple that seem similar enough to each other that it'd be hard to choose

I decided to run home for lunch today and to my surprise the Seed golf balls had been delivered.

I choose the SD05 to test. I have attached pictures of the packaging and the ball. The finish on the SD05 is a somewhat muted white, not a bright white like some other balls. That isn't an issue, but just an observation.

When I got back to the office I rolled a few on the carpet to get a sense of how they feel off the putter. Not too clicky and not too loud, but somewhat muted of a sound. The ball felt soft, but not mushy when struck. That's about all I have now, but I'll be putting them into play this Sunday which will be my next round so I will be sure to post my thoughts then.

20221003_140128.jpg20221003_140138~2.jpg20221003_140214.jpg20221003_140402.jpg

Just curious, how many did you buy, how long did it take for shipping, what was the price per dozen? Thanks in advance

Excited to hear from the testers here!

Just curious, how many did you buy, how long did it take for shipping, what was the price per dozen? Thanks in advance

I was selected as a tester so we didn't pay for the balls we will be testing. I think the shipping tool about 5 days. They were shipped from Texas to Georgia.

I was selected as a tester so we didn't pay for the balls we will be testing. I think the shipping tool about 5 days. They were shipped from Texas to Georgia.
Nice

I wasn't planning to hit balls today but if those are on my porch when I get home I am going to hop on the sim. Excited to see how they compare.

More balls!! Going to be busy reading this fall. Really excited to hear what you testers think of these.

Interested in this - is a good story and a decent price point. If the performance is there, I’ll be giving them a look.

Not part of the THP testing but I have a subscription for 2 dozen Seed SD15 Country Mile the Jack. Have played about 3 rounds.
Performance of the driver suits me. I can spin a driver like no bodies business when I get lazy. This ball will spin off the driver, but I noticed that even bad shots hold a “straighter” line and that first bounce is mostly forward, not a hard right turn.
Iron play similar to most two-piece distance balls. Flies high and pretty straight.
Wedge play is above average, less roll out and more stopping power, in my opinion, from 50yards and closer.
The Jack alignment has been a winner. Holed several long putts and from 10 feet or closer, nearly automatic. Certainly fewer three putts. Plus Cobra 3D putter is an excellent weapon.

Just finished a practice session on the sim. I haven't had time to digest the numbers but I compared the SD-X1 The Pro X1, Titleist Pro V1 and my current gamer the MaxFli Tour. I won't tell you which ball is which at this time as I would like everyone's help in deciphering the numbers a bit with me. I will tell you I took out mishits to keep the results from getting skewed. I can tell you that mishits didn't occur in one ball more then others and was pretty consistent.

First impressions on feel is the SD-X1 is similar in feel to the Pro V1 and not as hard as the MaxFli Tour. Durability is pretty similar across all balls and I did start the test off with a new ball of each to be consistent. No issues noted so far.

Now on to the numbers. First batch is 9 irons with each ball and the second batch is driver with each balls. Please tell me what you think each ball is and which one you think would be right for my game. Feel free to pick on me for my inconsistent swing, but it is what it is.

Ball 1
1.PNG

Ball 2
2.PNG

Ball 3
3.PNG

Ball 1
1a.PNG

Ball 2
2a.PNG

Ball 3
3a.PNG

Walked 18 this afternoon and then found some Seed planted in my mailbox. Woohoo! Eager to get these on the course this weekend to see how they perform vs. Pro V1 and AVX.

C726B76B-F6E9-44DA-93A5-83B5A435A2E5.jpeg9DADFC42-F821-4614-BF95-C833A9CC034D.jpeg
Dimple pattern vs. AVX.

Got my Seed X1 for testing yesterday and got my first round in with them today. Impressed with the sound/feel and distance was spot on with my irons. The spin and control with greenside chips was also what I’m used to with my gamer. I only hit one driver on the screws so I will have to wait until tomorrow to give my thoughts on them with the driver. I hit a couple solid 4 woods from the fairway and tee and distance and trajectory were similar to the Bridgestone Tour BX that I’ve played most of the last year. Excited to do more testing and I also bought some SD 02 just so I have another ball for comparison.

4EF58176-231A-4950-A0E9-BE26AB91DA8C.jpeg

Just finished a practice session on the sim. I haven't had time to digest the numbers but I compared the SD-X1 The Pro X1, Titleist Pro V1 and my current gamer the MaxFli Tour. I won't tell you which ball is which at this time as I would like everyone's help in deciphering the numbers a bit with me. I will tell you I took out mishits to keep the results from getting skewed. I can tell you that mishits didn't occur in one ball more then others and was pretty consistent.

First impressions on feel is the SD-X1 is similar in feel to the Pro V1 and not as hard as the MaxFli Tour. Durability is pretty similar across all balls and I did start the test off with a new ball of each to be consistent. No issues noted so far.

Now on to the numbers. First batch is 9 irons with each ball and the second batch is driver with each balls. Please tell me what you think each ball is and which one you think would be right for my game. Feel free to pick on me for my inconsistent swing, but it is what it is.

Ball 1
View attachment 9124916

Ball 2
View attachment 9124917

Ball 3
View attachment 9124918

Ball 1
View attachment 9124919

Ball 2
View attachment 9124920

Ball 3
View attachment 9124921
After going back and digesting the numbers and thoughts on it I will reveal which balls were which. Ball 1 was the MaxFli Tour, Ball 2 was Seed SD-X1 and Ball 3 was Titleist ProV1. After looking at the numbers I personally thought SD-X1 and ProV1 were extremely similar. If you normalize club speed up to match what I was swinging on the ProV1 the distance would of been extremely similar and ball speed would of jumped similarly. Overall the 9 iron was very similar across all 3 balls, but when you transition to driver the extra spin you get from the MaxFli Tour causes distance loss. While the SD-X1 and ProV1 performed extremely similar when club head speed is normalized. Will definitely go back and test my gamer and SD-X1 head to head again to validate my findings.

Overall first impressions are that for similar in price point the SD-X1 is a better feeling ball with similar performance to the ProV1 which is what I am looking for out of my ball currently. If things holds true I will be making the switch over to the SD-X1 as my gamer. As a mid handicapper I still have a tendency to lose a couple balls around so having an affordable ball is important. But first we need more testing and it is out to the course on Friday for a real world test.

Got my Seed X1 for testing yesterday and got my first round in with them today. Impressed with the sound/feel and distance was spot on with my irons. The spin and control with greenside chips was also what I’m used to with my gamer. I only hit one driver on the screws so I will have to wait until tomorrow to give my thoughts on them with the driver. I hit a couple solid 4 woods from the fairway and tee and distance and trajectory were similar to the Bridgestone Tour BX that I’ve played most of the last year. Excited to do more testing and I also bought some SD 02 just so I have another ball for comparison.

View attachment 9125107
I will be very interested in you comparison of the two Seed balls. I found the SD 2 was softer feel than the ProV1x. I lost spin on irons and drive so lost distance. As I need spin help.

I'm glad I read the back story. Because the brand name just didn't fit some how. Now it does.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

After going back and digesting the numbers and thoughts on it I will reveal which balls were which. Ball 1 was the MaxFli Tour, Ball 2 was Seed SD-X1 and Ball 3 was Titleist ProV1. After looking at the numbers I personally thought SD-X1 and ProV1 were extremely similar. If you normalize club speed up to match what I was swinging on the ProV1 the distance would of been extremely similar and ball speed would of jumped similarly. Overall the 9 iron was very similar across all 3 balls, but when you transition to driver the extra spin you get from the MaxFli Tour causes distance loss. While the SD-X1 and ProV1 performed extremely similar when club head speed is normalized. Will definitely go back and test my gamer and SD-X1 head to head again to validate my findings.

Overall first impressions are that for similar in price point the SD-X1 is a better feeling ball with similar performance to the ProV1 which is what I am looking for out of my ball currently. If things holds true I will be making the switch over to the SD-X1 as my gamer. As a mid handicapper I still have a tendency to lose a couple balls around so having an affordable ball is important. But first we need more testing and it is out to the course on Friday for a real world test.
First, really good stuff, good job testing.

I reached the same conclusion on the 9i - there were smallish spin differences but not enough to influence rollout by even a yard. Since feel was good the Seed would be an obvious winner. But with Driver the 3rd ball did give you 7 more yards (not sure about normalizing For speed). I’m frugal when it comes to balls so I’d still,probably lean Seed, but 7 yards of distance isn’t insignificant so I could see people choosing the PV1 with these results, too

I'm not a tester, but I bought a couple boxes of the Country Miles last month to see what the hype was about.

The colors are pretty darn close to the Callaway Supersoft they are aiming for. The green is just a smidge lighter than the Supersoft Green, which IMO is the best colored ball in the game (maybe the gold E12). The red is bang on with the Supersoft red and really does earn the name "Red AF".

(huge picture spoiler'd)
Spoiler

Q8Nl3WX.jpg

I'm a 100 player with low swing speed and a flip, so I don't have the consistency to talk about launch windows or spin rates or anything. I can only describe it conceptually. Which basically... it's a Supersoft.

Clean hits are just as long as a SS, maybe even a few yards longer. Frankly, it's the longest ball I can remember playing. Short game checkup is SS level minimal. "Country mile" aptly describes the rollout on chips. It feels soft on the putter but not SS marshmallow soft.

Seed came out to knock off the Supersoft for 60% of the price, and they succeeded. I'm reloading on 4 dozen more once my current stash runs out. They are colorful, they are long, they are soft, and they are dirt cheap.

I played another round with the X-1 yesterday and overall performance was very similar to my normal ball, the Bridgestone Tour B X. Spin on full wedges appeared to be the same as the Bridgestone. I thought the Seed was a touch softer sounding off the putter and chip shots around the green. I only hit driver on the screws twice yesterday and the distance was very close to what I expected with a mid, flat trajectory. I’ll have to do further testing indoors with my GC3 to get a better idea of what I currently perceive to be similar spin numbers off the driver. I fight high spin with the driver so that would be good news but I haven’t hit enough drivers solidly on the course in my two rounds with the Seed to really form a strong opinion on overall performance off the tee.

I’m not sure if I’ll get a round in today but I will hit the short game practice green to gather more data. It should be empty as it is windy with a high of 52º. :)

I know the testers just got these this week, lets hear a little more about them. How does the finish hold up to wedges? Cart paths? Do you like the alignment aid, do you like the logo? etc. etc.

I know the testers just got these this week, lets hear a little more about them. How does the finish hold up to wedges? Cart paths? Do you like the alignment aid, do you like the logo? etc. etc.
I will start my on course comparison Saturday vs Pro V1 and AVX. But, I can already say that I really like the round, bullseye logo.

I don’t use straight lines on the ball for putting alignment. Instead, I use the round, blue Sharpie dot that is my ball mark. Practicing indoors with these, I like having that bullseye as the target for my putter head. :)

Last edited:
Flying back into town later today. I will get on the sim tonight before my round tomorrow and will check the durability with full wedge shots. I hit about 40 or so with 9 iron and driver so far and it has held up great with no nicks or scratches.

Ball 1
View attachment 9124916

Ball 2
View attachment 9124917

Ball 3
View attachment 9124918

Ball 1
View attachment 9124919

Ball 2
View attachment 9124920

Ball 3
View attachment 9124921