Should I change my swing?

Drew Z

Reaction score
Handicap
16.6 GHIN
Feel free to move this if you don't feel it's in the right spot.

I had a recent lesson with a new instructor as mine doesn't do winter lessons. My game has been off, so I wanted to have someone take a look.

That being said, I am current a "digger" with a strongish grip. The new instructor, wants to change my grip which is changing my swing to more of a sweeping swing. While I don't mind change, or the work associated with it, I am questioning this move.

I know a lot of people here are fans of tweaking your current swing, so...is this too much of a change?

I like being a digger so maybe that's why I am putting up such a fuss.

Consult your in season instructor. Get a second or third opinion. Then make a decision.

I hate it when a fresh face tries to tear down a swing. Absolutely hate it.

Consult your in season instructor. Get a second or third opinion. Then make a decision.

You don't say lol.

How do his proposed changes help you reach your goals? Does grey help you reach your goals?

Should I change my swing?

How do his proposed changes help you reach your goals? Does grey help you reach your goals?

Hey Tequila,

I don't understand your grey comment, could you clarify?

He doesn't seem to be a fan of the "modern" golf swing which is the digging swing I have. He did have a bunch of other advice/tweaks that make sense to me and he gave me some nice workouts routines to strengthen my core.

I've been researching another instructor, I think I'll end up with a second opinion on this per the recommendation here.

Hey Tequila,

He doesn't seem to be a fan of the "modern" golf swing which is the digging swing I have. He did have a bunch of other advice/tweaks that make sense to me and he gave me some nice workouts routines to strengthen my core.

I've been researching another instructor, I think I'll end up with a second opinion on this per the recommendation here.

Annnnd there is the problem. It's not about you, it's about him. instructors who are like that offer very basic and often times terrible advice (totally generalizing and I don't even care) to people who are genuinely trying to get better at the game of golf. watch the tour and you'll quickly realize that your swing is YOUR swing, and an instructor should be capable of building solid fundamentals into it.

Hey Tequila,

Dumb auto - complete. "Does grey" was supposed to be "Do they"

Annnnd there is the problem. It's not about you, it's about him. instructors who are like that offer very basic and often times terrible advice (totally generalizing and I don't even care) to people who are genuinely trying to get better at the game of golf. watch the tour and you'll quickly realize that your swing is YOUR swing, and an instructor should be capable of building solid fundamentals into it.
This^^^^

My question about your goals was loaded: was he interested in you reaching your goals or teaching a swing that he advocates.

I agree. I had my first lesson in the early 1970's with the same PGA Teaching Pro we have today and he is big on teaching you to swing "your" swing. I don't really see a grip change as a total swing change though. I change my grip slightly throughout a round depending on the shot I want to hit, some really strong, and some weaker.

I'm not a fan of instructors wanting to change a persons swing. The instructor should be working with a person to hone their swing and make it work for the golfer. I would consider Lexi Thompson a digger and her swing works pretty good.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm glad I brought this up, its changed my off season plans. Just signed up for a 12 week online/live golf school from a local reputable instructor.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm glad I brought this up, its changed my off season plans. Just signed up for a 12 week online/live golf school from a local reputable instructor.

Sounds like a great plan Drew. Keep us updated on your progress and how you find their teaching!

For myself, I had a OTT swing, but was still able to hit decent shots. It took a lot of convincing from me for my instructor to rebuild my swing as he didn't want to take away what I had already. But I knew that I couldn't really get any better than I was with the swing I had, and convinced him that I would be up to the effort. So unless you have lots of time, and the desire to practice to improve, a drastic change may not be the best for you.

I took a lesson with a local guy who I think only wanted to show me videos of Ben Hogan's swing. I, at the time, was playing a pretty strong fade - meanwhile, Hogan was a guy who fought a hook. He also complained about how many people were focused on fitness these days when I mentioned working w/ my trainer on some stuff for golf (since he's done some work at TPI). My indoor facility came with 4 lessons - that was the only one I took.

My current instructor has largely made small tweaks to my swing over time. If you look at the before and after, the differences are striking, but you'd still recognize it as "my" swing. When it comes time to find a new instructor, I will run, not walk, away from anyone who wants to completely overhaul my swing.

Drew, if you're at a 16 now, you're at least working w/ a functional swing. Unless you truly feel that you need to start from scratch (and I'm guessing your current instructor doesn't think you do), I'd be wary. I'm a big believer in the fact that your specific biomechanics make certain swings feel more natural and there's no one swing for everyone - perhaps the steeper digging swing suits you.

all great input, and hard for us to remember, it is our golf swing...they can observe and guide, but it is us who has to implement, and execute...some swings dont work for some people, and when you have an instructor teaching the same thing to each person, they are interested in their way....

good work, and keep on dropping strokes!!!

Agree with just about everything everyone is posting. I have no problem putting in the work to fix any flaws my swing has. I understand the work, practice and frustration it takes.

However when I started golfing I started taking lessons right away, which is why I don't feel that a drastic change is needed. Why should I change the stroke that another instructor started me on (now that instructor is focusing on himself for amateurs tour) when it's work well for me in the past.

I'd rather tweak the swing instead of building a totally new swing. With that said, I would build a new swing if it was needed. I'll focus on fitness exercises and mirror drills from the new instructor and worry about a live lesson come spring.

I have had a few grip changes in my time and I can tell you that it doesn't change the swing. The arms will still move the same, the shoulders will still turn and the body will do what it once did. What will happen is that your hands will be a different position throughout the swing.

If you swing changed, then he it was maybe something he suggested. Also, a grip change doesn't take away you ability to hit down on the ball. I was not at the lesson so I do not know what he did or said. But it sounds like youre not happy with the results. And if that is the case, your swing will be conflicted and changed until you get comfortable.
Feel free to move this if you don't feel it's in the right spot.

I had a recent lesson with a new instructor as mine doesn't do winter lessons. My game has been off, so I wanted to have someone take a look.

That being said, I am current a "digger" with a strongish grip. The new instructor, wants to change my grip which is changing my swing to more of a sweeping swing. While I don't mind change, or the work associated with it, I am questioning this move.

I know a lot of people here are fans of tweaking your current swing, so...is this too much of a change?

I like being a digger so maybe that's why I am putting up such a fuss.

I don't believe in changing anyone's swing unless they ask. But how well was the other swing working? You carry a 15 hdcp so maybe a fresh perspective is needed to get you into a lower cap and better golf. From what I have read in this thread, you are not pleased and are looking for validation. It's your swing and your dollar, I would do what you feel is right for you game.
Agree with just about everything everyone is posting. I have no problem putting in the work to fix any flaws my swing has. I understand the work, practice and frustration it takes.

However when I started golfing I started taking lessons right away, which is why I don't feel that a drastic change is needed. Why should I change the stroke that another instructor started me on (now that instructor is focusing on himself for amateurs tour) when it's work well for me in the past.

I'd rather tweak the swing instead of building a totally new swing. With that said, I would build a new swing if it was needed. I'll focus on fitness exercises and mirror drills from the new instructor and worry about a live lesson come spring.

I don't believe in changing anyone's swing unless they ask. But how well was the other swing working? You carry a 15 hdcp so maybe a fresh perspective is needed to get you into a lower cap and better golf. From what I have read in this thread, you are not pleased and are looking for validation. It's your swing and your dollar, I would do what you feel is right for you game.

I was definitely looking for validation, the instructor had some good points but once he mentioned that he's a huge hogan fan and was not a fan of the modern digging swing, that's when I began to search for validation.

I'll definitely go for a second opinion in the spring and maybe this instructor was right, maybe my swing does need a change. I just didn't have confidence in some of the things he mentioned which is an issue I've never had with my current instructor.

He mentioned some other flaws that I understand so I can work on those in the meantime as well.

Thanks for the help.

When I go to the doctor I tae what he says pretty seriously, because he knows best. If I switch to another doctor and he says something different, I think about it but I don't question. These guys are professionals for a reason.

When I left Portland and started taking lessons with Brian Mogg, he taught me things I had not heard. I trusted him and became a better player for it. When I used to teach this game for 12 hours a day in the Miami sun I had all types of students. All of them had one thing in common. They did not know the golf swing the way I did or do.

it common to question and its our right to question. But if I don't know better than the person doing the teaching, I tend to listen. That being said, he could be dead wrong or he could be the second coming of Moses, we don't know. Just keep a open mind and take bits a pieces of golf knowledge along the way to make your game whole.
I was definitely looking for validation, the instructor had some good points but once he mentioned that he's a huge hogan fan and was not a fan of the modern digging swing, that's when I began to search for validation.

I'll definitely go for a second opinion in the spring and maybe this instructor was right, maybe my swing does need a change. I just didn't have confidence in some of the things he mentioned which is an issue I've never had with my current instructor.

He mentioned some other flaws that I understand so I can work on those in the meantime as well.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

As a different voice, I went thru a complete swing change this year (I did ask for it) and it was probably the best decision I have made for my golf game. I was also digger with a motion that was steep with high hands, and a little over the top. My new motion has the hands getting deeper on the back swing with the club coming from the inside with a much shallower path. My divots are much shallower now and ball always starts left (I am left handed). Which eliminates one side of the golf course and gives me a one way miss. Eliminating one side of the golf course, I believe is one of the secrets to shooting low scores.

I decided to make the swing change because while I played what some would say was good golf. My swing would not hold up under pressure. It was great playing with the guys, but under the gun I just could not count on it. If your happy with your original instructor stick with him. But a swing change doesn't always mean doom and gloom. It can also lead to lower scores and more confidence on the course.

Quick Update: As mentioned previously, I signed up for a 12 week golf training/school from a very reputable instructor. During the class, you establish three goals and work towards them with drills/practice during the 12 weeks. There is a weekly checkup/call along with videos submission.

I took a 1 hour lesson to help establish some goals and what we can work on during the 12 weeks. I have multiple drills to work on my over the top swing and keeping my lower body more stable in the back swing.

I also have multiple stretches to help with hip flexibility which have shown results already. In the past, my right leg (I'm a lefty) would bend in a bunch during my back swing. During practice of some drills, I would find it very hard to keep that right leg from bending less than it has in the past. However, since doing the stretches, I've noticed a HUGE difference on how much I can easily control that left leg from moving as much as it did before.

It's always nice seeing results, looking forward to continuing this 12 week program and seeing where I end up in March. I am in a better place now with this instructor and I have more confidence in what I am learning/fixing.

Last edited:
Been a while since I've updated this but I continue to practice and go to a monthly lesson. Recently went for a lesson this past Saturday and prior to arriving I hit the range since it was so nice out. I am definitely seeing the results of my practice and my ball striking is back and better then before.

We now are working on controlling the club face and once I can get the club face under control we will move on to short game and putting. Can't wait to get this swing out on the course soon and I am very happy with where my swing is now compared to December.

I would have to have played a lot of golf with this guy before I would take his advice. He needs to get to know your swing much better than one lesson before he starts making significant changes to a method you obviously like and have had success with. Like others have said before me contact your regular teacher!! Good luck!!

Back