Votes: 46 65.7%
  • I mean ... I guess they're okay

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Only if the other option is starvation

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Loose meat sandwiches - never gonna happen

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Wife has a secret recipe. I prefer it to the manwich sloppy Joe’s.

@GolferGal If I can suggest a mix. Brown Sugar, Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, diced onion, garlic powder (unless you have fresh then mince), stone ground mustard and salt and pepper. Since I don't usually use a recipe it's hard to say amounts, enough ketchup to get it to mix, enough brown sugar to make it sweet, enough Worcestershire sauce so you can taste the tang of the dissolved fish (just kidding until you get the savory end notes), mustard for a flavor kick. Nothing most home cooks don't have in their pantry, though you might not have a stone ground mustard you like and would need to substitute a regular dijon - white wine dijon being my favorite of that class.

Yep, I enjoy a sloppy joe! Haven't had one in forever though!

I was having breakfast at a little bar/restaurant that is within walking distance of my house. While waiting for my food I decided to peruse their menu. They are known for very good food. Low and behold, they make sloppy joes! I have to try them. I stopped in one Friday and ordered a fish sandwich with mac & cheese. Real macaroni with actual melted cheese made from scratch! Sloppy joes may be the ultimate comfort food!

I really like them as long as they can be stable and not soup consistency.

I agree. You don't want them too loose.

Last edited:
@GolferGal If I can suggest a mix. Brown Sugar, Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, diced onion, garlic powder (unless you have fresh then mince), stone ground mustard and salt and pepper. Since I don't usually use a recipe it's hard to say amounts, enough ketchup to get it to mix, enough brown sugar to make it sweet, enough Worcestershire sauce so you can taste the tang of the dissolved fish (just kidding until you get the savory end notes), mustard for a flavor kick. Nothing most home cooks don't have in their pantry, though you might not have a stone ground mustard you like and would need to substitute a regular dijon - white wine dijon being my favorite of that class.

The recipe I make is actually pretty close to that, but I also add diced green pepper in there.

Yes, I will use turkey meat and make my own sauce rather than a can, although I still do love a good Manwich sloppy joe, but that doesn’t really fit my clean eating haha.
Hey now there’s a full serving of vegetables in every serving of Manwich!

The key (to me) in producing a good Manwich/Sloppy Joe, etc…. Slam a couple pieces of American cheese on top of the mix, and stir in, just before serving. Makes for a creamier, more subtle Sloppy Joe experience. Pairs nicely with a Super Tuscan… 🤣

I was having breakfast at a little bar/restaurant that is within walking distance of my house. While waiting for my food I decided to peruse their menu. They are known for very good food. Low an behold, they make sloppy joes! I have to try them. I stopped in one Friday and ordered a fish sandwich with mac & cheese. Real macaroni with actual melted cheese made from scratch! Sloppy joes may be the ultimate comfort food!

All of that sounds simply amazing. Not in this thread, but I always like scratch mac and cheese, some of the greatest and richest comfort food - I always like mine with meatloaf.

The key (to me) in producing a good Manwich/Sloppy Joe, etc…. Slam a couple pieces of American cheese on top of the mix, and stir in, just before serving. Makes for a creamier, more subtle Sloppy Joe experience. Pairs nicely with a Super Tuscan… 🤣
"Pairs Nicely" is not a common phrase when you are talking about Sloppy Joe's. :LOL:

The recipe I make is actually pretty close to that, but I also add diced green pepper in there.

There you go. I was wondering where the green pepper was in his recipe.

OMG! Sassicaia Sloppies! Maybe drizzle a little of the wine in there as well.

"Pairs Nicely" is not a common phrase when you are talking about Sloppy Joe's. :LOL:

Sloppy joe and mac n cheese pair nicely with... black box cabernet boxed wine.

Might be one of the worst foods out there. Right next to potato soup and 💩 on the shingles.

There may be a day when I can read “Sloppy Joe’s” not in Adam Sandler’s voice, but it is not this day.

And yes they’re great, especially with Frito’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy them. Nice easy meal to make and is flavorful. However, I only eat them a couple times of year. If I am cooking ground beef my wife is throwing taco seasoning on and we are eating tacos.

There may be a day when I can read “Sloppy Joe’s” not in Adam Sandler’s voice, but it is not this day.

And yes they’re great, especially with Frito’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts of eating a sloppy joe, mom would make a batch for dinner long ago, ah No

My wife makes incredible sloppy joes. Then we had a spicy version at Torrey Pines and she now makes that.

it's great on a tortilla with venison hotdogs!!!

Thanks for starting this thread @Daluteh! Took your recommendation and made my own Sloppy Joe’s tonight! I forgot how much I enjoy these! Made mine on alpine bread though instead of buns.

Just a PSA for anyone ordering a sloppy Joe when visiting northern NJ(which I’m sure is in the 0% to fat chance range…and don’t get me started on fat sandwiches lol) but you’ll get something entirely different than the traditional ground beef version.
Here, it’s a deli meat sandwich on rye(choice of turkey or roast beef traditionally), with Swiss cheese(I usually swap out for American), thousand island dressing and cole slaw, then another layer of bread and another layer of all the above then closed up with another slice of rye. One of NJ’s best kept secrets along with Taylor Ham.

That feels very close to a Reuben sandwich. Add kraut and a different meat. So obviously some differences.

Good to know though!

Love my wife's family sloppy joe recipe. Ketchup, brown sugar, cream of mushroom, mustard, Worcestershire, diced onion, and garlic powder. Fantastic, especially on a toasted bun with some cheese on top!

Sloppy Joe? Yeah. Not a common meal in my house but no nose gets turned up at the mention or thought of them. They're good.

Made-rite? Never heard of it.

Loose meat sandwich. This is not sloppy joe to me. This is an open face sammich with thinly sliced meat covered in cheese or gravy or something... not a sloppy joe. These are extremely rare in my house.

I loved them, but have not had a good one since my mom passed.
She made the best Sloppy Joe's ever.

Back