Do you remember our round when we were behind the juniors. Each one with the exact same pre shot routine. Each one taking a full 90 seconds to get set. They are teaching them this now at higher level juniors and it is terrible.

I have told so many people about that experience. That was mind blowing. And like you said, its what the top juniors are being taught, and they believe its the best way to be successful and as they make their way up the ranks they just keep on doing it. Until the PGA Tour starts enforcing a clock on ALL players, with fines and potentially strokes, nothing will change. It's almost pointless to keep talking about because we know that aint happening.

I like the idea of assessing stroke penalties better. It is kind of tough to assess a fine that is larger than the amount of money she made. Maybe there should be a cap of some sort like you can't be fined more than you made in a particular week for slow play.

I have told so many people about that experience. That was mind blowing. And like you said, its what the top juniors are being taught, and they believe its the best way to be successful and as they make their way up the ranks they just keep on doing it. Until the PGA Tour starts enforcing a clock on ALL players, with fines and potentially strokes, nothing will change. It's almost pointless to keep talking about because we know that aint happening.
Routine: good. Shortening the routine: even better. Seems that it is that step in shortening the routine isn't being taught.

Routine: good. Shortening the routine: even better. Seems that it is that step in shortening the routine isn't being taught.

It's not just the routine though. You have the full 1 minute + conversation with the caddie before they even start the horrible routine. And thus you end up with guys taking over 2 minutes to hit a shot. Its so bad. The tv networks are able to hide it most of the time, but on pga tour live is where you really see how bad it is, and situations like the match play last week where there weren't other groups to cut to.

when i read the topic header i saw slow play IS fine....lol....definitely read that wrong.

you would almost think that the PGA would be ok if the play is a little slow, more TV time

Why isn't the PGA doing this? You hear about how slow they are all the time but nothing seems to ever happen.

My biggest issue with this is, That some players get preferential treatment while others do not.
They should put individual players on the clock and not the whole group.
a 10k fine seems excessive to me.

I won't respect the PGA Tour until they respect their own rules.

Stroke penalties on the spot are the way to go. Have a timer with each group. Players will adjust after 1 event.

I don't disagree with the concept and think every group out needs a referee/rules official/time manager. For the PGA, $10K is nothing, but to the LPGA that is a lot of money, especially for a rookie and they should rethink the fine scale and how it's applied.

I don't disagree with the concept and think every group out needs a referee/rules official/time manager. For the PGA, $10K is nothing, but to the LPGA that is a lot of money, especially for a rookie and they should rethink the fine scale and how it's applied.
Fines could be prorated by finish position.

But that's assuming the PGA Tour cares about slow play, which it doesn't.

Considering she only made $4200 it cost her money to play in the tournament.

How about these ideas? They're probably too severe and would never happen

Controversial take #1: Concerned about slow play? If, in the playing season, a player has been warned 3 times or more for slow play, they'll enter probation. If during their probation they are again warned for slow play, they're barred from entering the next 5 events. If their slow play continues at any point beyond that, the player is suspended for the season and their tour eligibility is revoked. They can apply for eligibility the following season after attending Q school and proving that they will play faster. If they are reinstated, they will not be allowed any instances for slow play. Any infraction and they are banned from the tour for 5 years.

Controversial take #2: Change the way the field plays. Let the fastest players go first. Every round. No more the leader goes last. Keep the slow players at the back of the pack. Allow for 3.5 hours total after the players round has started to turn in a signed score card. Anything outside of that time limit, the card is not accepted and the player is disqualified. If circumstances dictate such as weather, additional time may be added. If a player didn't finish their round because of their slow play and encroaching darkness, they will be DQ'ed.

Controversial take #3: Institute a standard time for shot preparation for all players on the tour. Take the fastest player time and the slowest player time and average the out... or give a time limit of 20 seconds. If a player hasn't hit their ball within 20 seconds from arriving to it, it's a warning. Accrue 3 warnings in a round and it's DQ. And, NO, calling for an official ruling for everything will not allow for more time. Each player will be allowed 1 official ruling per tournament. If it is abused, the player is DQ'ed. If a player is walking slow to gain more time, it's a warning.

Insert gif of that guy from the Simpson's "That's a paddlin'":ROFLMAO:

There are plenty of people that would volunteer to be time monitors for each player for this to happen.

As soon as I saw this I thought good for the LPGA and why isn’t the PGA penalizing for slow play more often.

Seeing the fine compared to her earnings seemed a bit harsh. Hate to see a young player who may be struggling financially potentially get into money trouble because of a slow play fine. I think I would rather see stroke penalties than fines. She had a great reaction to it owning the mistake rather than complaining. I hope she picks up the pace and has a great career. Hope the PGA steps up and starts enforcing pace rules.

I can only imagine the drama we'd have if Bryson or Reed or somebody like that gets a penalty stroke for slow play in the final group on a Sunday. Could cost them upwards of a half million dollars. That'd be something else to watch!

Fines could be prorated by finish position.

But that's assuming the PGA Tour cares about slow play, which it doesn't.

The bigger point I wanted to make is that the LPGA is over reaching here and isn't considering the fine pay scale given the amounts of money they play for versus PGA.

I think a sliding scale based on finish makes sense for both and should consider winnings as a factor.

You get 4 hours to finish your round (time stamped.) Over that, you get docked a stroke per minute.

That Euro Event with a shot clock seems to work and players accept the conditions. If not, then don’t enter. They get 40 seconds(?) for their shot after their playing partner makes theirs. I THINK they get 60 seconds on the tee if they go first or something. But there is none of that taking 2 minutes in the fairway beginning the routine after the other guy goes. As I mentioned before, they get 2 “timeouts”, but it isn’t a free pass to take forever to decide about going over a tree or under it. And I think that certain rule issues don’t count either.

oh, and what would be better is, the last 10 seconds are marked with a series of countdown beeps. Getting louder the last 5 seconds.

I wish both tours would institute a 30 second time clock. Once you get to your ball, you have 30 seconds to hit it or it's a 1 stroke penalty. On putts, you get 45 seconds.
Only one warning and there should be a time keeper with every group.

I think it's cruel as hell to fine a player more than twice their winnings for a pace of play issue.

As much as I think pace of play is an issue and needs to be regulated, this isn't the way.

I've got so much to say on this, but I think it's important to isolate the tours as separate discussions based on the money being made out there.

That in mind, regardless of tour, fining dollars is a slippery slope. 10k to an aspiring player does NOT mean the same thing to the player winning numerous tournaments a year (ignoring of course the selective nature of these clock violations).

Pace is a problem, but I think unless the solution is served equitable for ALL players, it's pointless to even warn/fine one of them.

Read about this earlier. Good to see one of the tours is actually taking this rule seriously and enforcing it. $10,000 for her may very well be like $10 million for a top PGA Tour pro. She won a little over $4k at the Kia.

Back