I know top line gives people some fits online, but my question is sole width. Does the size of the sole bother you? If so, do you play hybrids? And if the answer is yes to that question, why does the sole width not bother with hybrids?
Neither a wide sole width, nor topline bothers me. I started with the Cleveland HiBore XLi's and they usually don't get wider (top and bottom) than that.

Top line or sole width don't bother me. I just find a set of irons that I really enjoy and play them no matter what the style is. Also yes I do play hybrids. I have honestly never understood why these things bother people.

I game one of the widest soles presently available - Ping Gmax irons. Sole width doesn't bother me at all.

does sole width bother me? not at address, but from a payability perspective. even on my current gamers, that have arguably been the single part of my bag that has contributed to me playing the best golf of my life (which isn't saying much), the soles bother me.

why don't hybrids bother me? if they're big and chunky they do. and the smaller profile hybrids that still have wider soles than i would prefer in an iron took getting used to. also, we're not talking about scoring clubs here.

It doesn't really bother me. I've never really gamed irons with huge soles though. I'm sure if I hit them well soul width wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually like a wider sole for my game, my main miss is fat vs thin so I've found a wider sole works for me.

I've had a LOT of wide sole clubs (Di11s, Diablo Edge, D100s) and their look at address has actually given me confidence vs. bothering me.

That being said, I just have never gotten along with a single hybrid. I keep pondering one, but I've found that a 5w works far better for me than a 3h.

Doesn't bother me at all.

I prefer a smaller sole, but I'm good with anything but the largest soles.

I think wide soles are mostly designed to move weight low to improve launch. I hit the ball too high with my irons most of the time, so I don't need that kind of help.

I game Altitudes. Therefore. I like em FAT

I prefer a narrower sole which is maybe why I've never found a hybrid that I've liked. Some of the driving irons are ok but I don't see myself bagging one of those anytime soon either.

As long as I don't see the sole behind the face at address, it doesn't really bother me. I currently bag a hybrid that is about to get served, irreconcilable differences. I've never had one I could consistently hit, I may demo some this spring, but I'm fine if I don't have one in the bag.

Sole doesn't bother me at all, from altitudes to blades, I'm ok with them all.

Sole width isn't a big deal for me at address. In the bag, I like little tiny irons. But on the course, I like meaty.

I kinda prefer narrow in the shorter irons, a little wider in the mid. It makes it kinda progressive from fairway wood to wedge.

I'm with you on this

Sole width has a negative impact on my game based on my angle of attack, took me a long time to realize it so I'm not drawn to thinner soled irons that have performance packed into the head. The Ping iE1 is a good example, on the Callaway front I actually had better results with the Apex Pro then the Apex because of the difference in sole width, the Ping's however won out because of the added forgiveness.

Sole width doesn't bother me for a few reasons. One, I understand sole width is a necessity in order to put more weight low and aft of the face, which helps launch the ball. Two, I'm aware that, especially from the rough, I like most golfers of middling skill, usually hit the ball just a hair fat. My understanding is that a slightly thicker sole does help minimize club-head speed lost by this scuffing on the turf.

Also, I do play hybrids, but I figure when a hybrid is more a shrunk down fairway wood than a very fat iron. Plus as the clubs get longer and the swing gets flatter, that little bit of turf interaction can become more likely, plus the lower loft of the club makes launching the ball more difficult, so all the reasons to have a fatter sole come to the fore to the point where a small fairway wood becomes a better club than an iron of any size.

Soles don't bother me unless they are narrow and a sharp leading edge. I prefer a bit of width on the sole, doesn't have to be hybrid wide but just a bit.
I share this view.

Noissue for me. Performance tops looks, IMHO!

Wide soles don't seem to bother me and I love hitting my hybrids.

When I look at an iron I like a narrower sole. Yes I play hybrids, but I look at those more as much smaller head FW than bigger irons.
This for me. I just can't deal with wide soles on irons. I want narrower and cutting through the turf. I have a flatter through swing, think Sergio/Furyk, so don't have to worry about digging. It also happens that all the irons I am attracted to have a "player" profile, which include narrower soles. Like cbaker, I also play my hybrids like I would a fairway wood, not an iron.

I play the jpx ez's so obviously sole width does not bother me at all.

No problemo, I can play blade and SGI irons. On the green, SGI actually performed better for me.

I love thin soled irons, the wider soles just glide off the turf a little too much for me. No hybrids

Back