Spaghetti sauce or gravy?

Do you call it spaghetti sauce or gravy?

• Total voters
It's always been sauce for me and always will. But YMMV.

Only old school people call it gravy. My grandma who was sicilian did call it sugo on occasion but its always sauce to me

Sauce. Spaghetti sauce. Because it's a sauce that goes on spaghetti.:D

One of my friends calls it gravy and I really dont like how it tastes. I've always called it sauce. It's a sauce

I live in AMERICA not 1950 Sicily. It's called sauce.

I have never referred to it as anything other than sauce.

We’ve always called it sauce when with pasta.

Gravy goes on meat or potatoes, or vegetables, or bread... okay, maybe I can understand why some might call it tomato gravy.

Sauce. Sauce is red.

Gravy is brown.

Bolognese is awesome.

Gravy?!? You might as well put ketchup on a hotdog and call a couch a davenport.

Saaaaaaaaaame.

I am so lost here hahahaha
I'll clear it up for everyone.
Crazy Italian Americans that want to feel like their "real" Italians will call pasta sauce "gravy". This is my inlaws. Usually from the NY/NJ area and they want to believe they are part of the Sopranos. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sauce.

I my house gravy goes on meat and potatoes.

I'll clear it up for everyone.
Crazy Italian Americans that want to feel like their "real" Italians will call pasta sauce "gravy". This is my inlaws. Usually from the NY/NJ area and they want to believe they are part of the Sopranos. :rolleyes:

I grew up in Northern Italy. Italian was closer to a first language than English. It's sauce, or sugo. Add meat and its ragu. More meat, less tomato and its a bolognese. It's not gravy. It's only gravy in the US.

It's always been sauce to me, never heard it called gravy. Gravy was what I had on my loco moco for dinner tonight.

I love all the feedback because I really wasn't sure & it always drives me nuts when someone calls it gravy or Sunday gravy.

Sauce.

My mother was Italian and we always called it sauce and still do. All the Italians i know say they are having “sauce “ when they are having pasta. Growing up getting home from school leftover pasta in a frying pan with some oil fried. The sauce tasted even better then. Still do it, the best.

Passata
;)

My mother was Italian and we always called it sauce and still do. All the Italians i know say they are having “sauce “ when they are having pasta. Growing up getting home from school leftover pasta in a frying pan with some oil fried. The sauce tasted even better then. Still do it, the best.

I remember having something like that at my best friends house as a kid in Vicenza. Left over pasta, fried up with some garlic butter and olive oil and then mixed with bolognese and served over italian bread.

I remember having something like that at my best friends house as a kid in Vicenza. Left over pasta, fried up with some garlic butter and olive oil and then mixed with bolognese and served over italian bread.
That sounds delicious , Definitely will try that. I love leftover pasta.

So i fried up some leftover baked ziti today for lunch and used Tevenors recipe. The garlic butter was a great addition. This could be a featured item at a restaurant. Fantastic

It's sauce. Gravy is brown

Back