Sporting Jersey - Hot Topic

Retirement is fine. The only jersey I own is Barry Sanders and I still wear it.

I thought he owned Charlotte - but I see your point.
Correct, but didn’t leave the team in an acrimonious way and is still involved in the league. Plus it’s Jordan.

I think a better argument to your point would be someone like Bernie Kosar. Beloved player, but not the greatest, plus peppered with off field issues but none so bad that it’s an easy answer like Vick, Rice, Hunt or Brown, etc.

I try to find the obscure player that was halfway good from my team to wear their jersey. Usually when I go to a game I get someone stopping me and saying "Wow, cool jersey. I completely forgot about that guy"

It so happened that everytime I bought a players jersey they would be gone the next season or 2, so I just did a custom one with my name on it and I can wear season after season after season

Oof. Have had a bunch of jerseys over the years from the Nats (baseball was always my first love - sports wise - soooo many memories from when I was kid - I want Senator Jerseys from Frank Howard and Mike Epstein.

Anyway still in the closet:
Soto (champion gold jersey)
Zimmerman (retired) road Grey
Strasburg - Red
Scherzer - white
Did get rid of the kid, which was hung on a wall, not worn, Harper (it was blue).

So, Sherzer and Soto both helped to bring a World Series to DC - they were both traded as the team was heading down for many prospects in an effort to make the team better going forward. Soto was offered what many think was a decent contract offer. He wants FA - can't blame him.

So, what do I know, only used to wear jerseys to the game on opening day, then almostly exclusively for beach coverups on vacation. They still hang in my closet.

The age cutoff for wearing a jersey should be somewhere in the high school range. Mind you, this is coming from a person who wore a KGJ White Sox jersey to a CHI/TEX game last year, since I sure as hell wasn't going to wear Rangers garb. And how many relevant times will I be able to sport a KGJ White Sox jersey???

I just text a friend of mine that let's just say has a few jerseys haha.
Figured his response was appropriate because he wears them often.

"The jersey has a place. Don't judge me. It has replaced the bowling shirt and Hawaiian shirt as proper fat guy attire so that we feel good in our own skin and important like we are part of the organization. Being pear shaped is important."
Lock this one up...that response address it all! Love it!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
For me it depends on the player and how they left… If it was a young guy that didn’t make it out of their rookie deal, the jersey is gone immediately… If they are one of the franchises best players I will tuck it away assuming they are still in the league somewhere. Once they retire I will bust it out again. However, I am not a huge jersey guy anyways… Much prefer to just wear team apparel.

Depends on the terms on how they leave. But in general, yea I'll wear a jersey if the player isn't still there. Jerseys cost too much to be constantly buying new ones...

I own two jerseys - a Philip Rivers /Chargers and a Troy Polamalu/Steelers. I used to wear them to fantasy football draft days or occasionally if we’d go out for beers to watch football. I owned a San Diego Gulls jersey (no name or number) I used to wear to their games, and a NJ Devils jersey with my name and number because it was my beer league hockey team’s game jersey.

My theory on wearing them is that you’re a grown-ass man or woman, wear them whenever or wherever you want. 😉

My only Packer one is a Ray Nitschke jersey. He's not being traded ;)

I like college football jerseys with numbers on them and no name. I have a Sooners jersey with 85. Never have to get another one.

I also like iconic player's jerseys. My teams are from Houston so I never felt bad about wearing my Andre Johnson or JJ Watt jerseys even after they were on other teams. I have since gotten rid of all of my Texans gear as eff that ownership group. For the Astros I have Altuve and Bagwell. I am super close to getting a Bregman or Alvarez jersey.

I would never get a random player jersey anymore as I just want a jersey that is important to me. I also have a Scott Gomez New Jersey Devils jersey because when I followed hockey a long time ago that was my team.

I’ve got quite a few Vikings jerseys, most are retired or named Adrian Peterson. My current is Danielle Hunter and there’s a chance he’s gone this year with salary cap so will be debatable if I keep or finally succumb and just buy a custom jersey with my last name. Too bad I didn’t have @MattyD-MPLS SS as now Dos is set with his custom Vikes jersey 😂😂

Only other sporting jerseys I have are a Michael Jordan Wizards jersey my Dad grabbed me when he went out there many many years ago that I don’t wear and a Joe Mauer jersey I still rock if going to Twins game

All time legends for your team are pretty awesome wearing to a game. The one bad thing is if you were to purchase someone like AP, he was loved until he did horrible things. That immediately gets thrown away.

Side note, if you wear a jersey to a game of a team that is not competing in said game, that is so stupid.

Do you think teams would be able to sell former legends of the team in the new designs of the jersey?

1674230285921.png

All time legends for your team are pretty awesome wearing to a game. The one bad thing is if you were to purchase someone like AP, he was loved until he did horrible things. That immediately gets thrown away.

Side note, if you wear a jersey to a game of a team that is not competing in said game, that is so stupid.

Do you think teams would be able to sell former legends of the team in the new designs of the jersey?

View attachment 9151806
Non playing team jerseys are the worst at games and always seems to be Packers fans that wear jerseys to Vikings games

Yea I think it’s cool that teams will throw legends names on new Jersey designs

I’ll hold onto my AP but doesn’t get worn

There was a lot of Jersey burning when KD left the Thunder. I still have a KD jersey as a gift someone gave me. It just sits in the closet. I don’t know what to do with it.

I have refused to buy jersey's specifically because of the reasons here. As a Browns fan, I own two and I'm actually ashamed to admit that I have one of those: Odell and Manziel.

No chance I wear either of those ever again.... but they are there in my closet to remind me of the factory of sadness.

I have lots of jerseys. 99% wear them only at the house during playoff games and such. That means my Coyotes jerseys have been gathering dust but I will have a KC jersey on tomorrow. I also won’t be mad if my wife wears her Tyreek KC jersey around the house

I’m not wearing a current jersey with someone else’s name on it - other than mine. Just me. Not that big a fan of these guys. Now... if it had BUTKUS, or SAYERS, or UNITAS... or someone like that... maybe.

I only have 4 player jerseys and don’t have issues with any of them 🤷‍♂️ that said, I agree with @JB that team shirts are generally the way to go (for me)
  1. Packers - Reggie White
  2. Phillies - Chase Utley
  3. Sixers - Nerlens Noel
  4. Blazers - CJ McCollum

Noel? Nice! 🤣

I've only got retired players, could wear one of a guy currently playing for another team. That said, I only wear them to group gatherings up cheer for teams.

Iverson
Wilt
LeClair
Barry
Megatron
Woodson (Michigan)

yeah, they certainly aren't form fitting. They've gotten better over the years, but it's not like a soccer jersey that wears more like an athletic shirt that's for sure.

They're the best to wear to games though!

Last edited:
Yep- Had an Andrew Shaw Blackhawks jersey.
Worn it when he was traded to the Habs.
Had it when he came back.

Back