Sports Debate need help settling

mcrobertsjmac32

Reaction score
Handicap
Guys I need help settling a sports debate. I am a fan of the the Philadelphia Eagles and 76ers (painful I know). After Chip Kelly's firing I made the statement that the 76ers franchise was in better shape than the Eagles. My cousins argued with me in group chat about the statement, and I said it was easier to rebuild an NBA franchise than a NFL franchise.*

My thinking is that obviously easier to acquire 12 good players in the NBA than 53 in the NFL just because of the sheer number. Also if you get a Lebron, KD, Steph Curry type player your automatically a contender in the NBA, where in NFL one player cannot win you a game.*

So what do you guys think, is it easier to rebuild an NBA team or an NFL team and why. ‎

Guys I need help settling a sports debate. I am a fan of the the Philadelphia Eagles and 76ers (painful I know). After Chip Kelly's firing I made the statement that the 76ers franchise was in better shape than the Eagles. My cousins argued with me in group chat about the statement, and I said it was easier to rebuild an NBA franchise than a NFL franchise.*

My thinking is that obviously easier to acquire 12 good players in the NBA than 53 in the NFL just because of the sheer number. Also if you get a Lebron, KD, Steph Curry type player your automatically a contender in the NBA, where in NFL one player cannot win you a game.*

So what do you guys think, is it easier to rebuild an NBA team or an NFL team and why. ‎
Only problem is ... I think the 76ers have shown that from top to bottom, they're incompetent.

I'd say the Eagles are still in better shape, even if Chip gutted them over the past off season.

Both.
The NBA has less players and can win with only 3 stars.
However gambling and losing (ie free agency) cripples a team for far longer due to contracts.

The NFL has no guaranteed contracts, but does have guaranteed dollars (see dead money).
Therefore if a team gambles and loses, they can cut their losses and rebuild faster.

I don't want much NBA. But I would not be at all surprised if the Eagles hire a good coach and go to the playoffs next year. I would be blown away if the sixers did that. They are historically bad.

It depends on what you define as success, with the right QB even a mediocre football team can be a playoff contender, maybe not a SB contender but they can be respectable.

I'm a lifelong Iggles fan as well, all I asked for Christmas was 3 words "Chip's Gotta Go". The problem is he did so much damage in such a short time I think the rebuild will be a 3 year process to get back to respectability. The club has far too many holes.

Only problem is ... I think the 76ers have shown that from top to bottom, they're incompetent.

I'd say the Eagles are still in better shape, even if Chip gutted them over the past off season.

The media is really potraying them in a bad light because they are using draft flaws and exploiting them, it really is genius what they are doing. If the draft works out for them this season and they get Simmons, Saric comes to USA, and Embid is healthy the world will be shocked how good they will be.

The media is really potraying them in a bad light because they are using draft flaws and exploiting them, it really is genius what they are doing. If the draft works out for them this season and they get Simmons, Saric comes to USA, and Embid is healthy the world will be shocked how good they will be.
That's a lot of if's.

I don't want much NBA. But I would not be at all surprised if the Eagles hire a good coach and go to the playoffs next year. I would be blown away if the sixers did that. They are historically bad.

Sixers historically are much better than the Eagles? Multiple championships. Eagles have never won.

That's a lot of if's.

It is but it's a plan. Right now the Eagles don't have a GM, Coach, or QB much more uncertain of a future

I think the Eagles are in better shape than the 76ers but I think it is easier to get a NBA team better than a NFL. And then if your the Browns you should take up curling

Both.
The NBA has less players and can win with only 3 stars.
However gambling and losing (ie free agency) cripples a team for far longer due to contracts.

The NFL has no guaranteed contracts, but does have guaranteed dollars (see dead money).
Therefore if a team gambles and loses, they can cut their losses and rebuild faster.

Interesting fact 13 NBA and 13 NFL teams have never won their championships. Making your argument of both being equally difficult seem correct.

Interesting fact 13 NBA and 13 NFL teams have never won their championships. Making your argument of both being equally difficult seem correct.

It is correct.

However speaking with most salary experts, they will tell you the NFL is the easier path due to salary restrictions.
To give you an example since you brought up championships as the deciding factor. Lebron James. Best of his generation. Drafted by the Cavs and was fantastic. The Cavs have zero of those titles.

The salary cap in the NBA is an absolute joke. The contracts are a joke. Teams are basically flipping a coin now and the one and done has made the draft a borderline joke as well.

Sixers historically are much better than the Eagles? Multiple championships. Eagles have never won.
Right I meant this year, aren't they setting records for futility?

I agree with JB. The NBA seems like the obvious answer because you only need 1 superstar, etc. But there are a few big factors in favor of the NFL: 1) contracts/money; 2) scheduling - you suck you get an easier schedule; 3) the difference between good and bad is really pretty tight...a little bit of improvement can translate to several more W's.

Right I meant this year, aren't they setting records for futility?

Yes but they don't have dead contracts and are losing on purpose. And potentially will 5-6 1st round players on their team next year, placing them in my mind above where the Eagles are

Losing on purpose...NO!
Lack of talent from bad decisions? YES!

Interesting question, I think it comes down to sheer numbers. NBA teams have less players and if you hit on a draft pick that can change your whole outlook.

76ers have been in a downward spiral for awhile and until their recent hire of colangelo to help the front office and d'antoni as an assistant their org has been terrible in decision making.

The eagles took a gamble on some guys this year and got rid of a few over the last two that helped them be successful even with mediocre QBs the previous two seasons.

The nfl team doesn't need to have 53 just need a strong 11 starters on both sides with a handful of backups. The nba also doesn't need good 12 just a solid 8 with 1-3 good to great players.

Yes but they don't have dead contracts and are losing on purpose. And potentially will 5-6 1st round players on their team next year, placing them in my mind above where the Eagles are
I won't claim to be an expert, because I don't follow the NBA, but if that's the case I'd find someone else to cheer for.

Eagles fan here.

I think the Eagles are in MUCH better shape, currently, than the 76ers are. Eagles will be playoff contenders next year, no question (they were playoff contenders until the Washington game this year)! The division is not that strong and won't be next year, either. Free agency, draft, and a decent qb is all available to the Eagles to improve the roster next year.

It is not easy to rebuild basketball teams, even though there are fewer players. You cannot buy a championship very easily - the season is too long, injuries, the drop off of talent is pretty significant in all positions between #3 and #8 players on every bball team, playoff series can be altered by just a few plays.

While I used to follow all of our teams---Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots (listed in the order of their births), I've fallen away from hockey and basketball. Now, it's just the Red Sox and Patriots, and in the winter, I always have the boxing on HBO and Showtime which I enjoy.

I have no idea how to re-build a franchise in any sport.

In the case of the Red Sox, I was fifty-eight years old before I saw them win it all. (I had been watching them since Ted Williams came home from Korea in 1953!)

Then, after 2004, they won again in 2007 and 2013. But the 2013 win came after a last place finish and was followed by two more last place finishes.

I'm sure you can understand why I don't have a clue.

As for the Patriots, America's most hated team in any sport, I used to go to their games in Fenway Park when I was in college. They didn't win anything until 2001 (February of 2002, actually). For the last fifteen years, however, they've been in the hunt just about every year--never having a high draft pick. They release big name players, I get furious over it, and those same players prove Saint William Belichick right as soon as they leave. How would you expect me to understand that?

I'll watch the Celtics and Bruins if they reach the finals. That doesn't exactly make me a fan. The Red Sox and Patriots are a different story. They're capable of destroying my stomach lining. I don't know why. What do I get out of it?

Losing on purpose...NO!
Lack of talent from bad decisions? YES!

They are putting an inferior product on the court to lose on purpose. That isn't a hunch it's a fact. What possible bad decisions have they made? None

Hahha. Yeah, your right, they havent made any bad decisions.
Yup, losing on purpose. :D

Teams bad for an era with high draft picks and stink every year, are all well known for making great decisions.

Eagles fan here.

I think the Eagles are in MUCH better shape, currently, than the 76ers are. Eagles will be playoff contenders next year, no question (they were playoff contenders until the Washington game this year)! The division is not that strong and won't be next year, either. Free agency, draft, and a decent qb is all available to the Eagles to improve the roster next year.

It is not easy to rebuild basketball teams, even though there are fewer players. You cannot buy a championship very easily - the season is too long, injuries, the drop off of talent is pretty significant in all positions between #3 and #8 players on every bball team, playoff series can be altered by just a few plays.

I'm an Eagles fans, Idk why other Eagles fans say so non chalantly "yea all we need is a QB, and a coach".... arguably the most difficult positions to find in any sport. Off the top of my head I can think of 10 NFL teams who have been chasing a QB for 10 years

I think you can win in the NFL with less talent than you need in the NBA. Seems like in the NBA if you don't have a star you are not a top tier team.
If you look at the NFL some will say it is the same teams that win some have great players but not all. Also how many of those great players would be great on another team? I touched on this a bit in the NFL thread but so many people judge players based on talent alone. Well how do they fit into a team? How do they fit the scheme? Do they mesh with the other guys? Good organizations go out and draft with all this in mind not just drafting talent.

I am a firm believer that with the right processes top to bottom in the NFL you can win with mediocre talent among your 53 players.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back