Srixon Z 585 Driver and Z 785 Driver

Cleveland and Srixon in the past, and I assume it's the same now, have operated as independent equipment lines from one another, so which one has what isn't all that much of a concern.

Imo, we see going to see more and more glued options again as it does provide weight savings that can be repurposed in the designs.

I get ya. I have no problem with it being a glue in. It was just something I thought was curious when I saw it after the last offering being adjustable on both models. Can't wait to get the tester's thoughts on these.

I just looked at the graphic again, and those claims are for the Z785 which may not be as triangular shaped. Doesn't appear to be in the initial pics. So... yeah, you may want to go ahead and put it in your "to hit" list.

you sure? they look pretty similar to me in the pics. would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison of the look at address.

can someone help me understand why the triangle shape is beneficial? i thought it was for aerodynamics, but i didn't know if maybe there are moi or other advantages as well.

I get ya. I have no problem with it being a glue in. It was just something I thought was curious when I saw it after the last offering being adjustable on both models. Can't wait to get the tester's thoughts on these.

Its a really interesting topic. I spoke to one R&D person that says without adjustability for premium drivers, they are viewed as cheap. I think for the lay golfer, that might be the case, but the flip side for the "core" golfer is they dabble in shafts. Does it need the adjustability to be considered premium?

Its a really interesting topic. I spoke to one R&D person that says without adjustability for premium drivers, they are viewed as cheap. I think for the lay golfer, that might be the case, but the flip side for the "core" golfer is they dabble in shafts. Does it need the adjustability to be considered premium?
This is the battle line I think we will see from here on out, we have had adjustability pounded into our heads for so long now and it's become so commonplace I think you see people just expect it, and when it's not there the thoughts of cheap/etc pop up. But I do think there's also a small segment who becomes relieved with less to think about or just don't care because they set it and forget it anyways.

This is the battle line I think we will see from here on out, we have had adjustability pounded into our heads for so long now and it's become so commonplace I think you see people just expect it, and when it's not there the thoughts of cheap/etc pop up. But I do think there's also a small segment who becomes relieved with less to think about or just don't care because they set it and forget it anyways.

This is true. I believe if fitting becomes more mainstream, it does become less important, but honestly even the biggest core golfers out there, the majority are still not being fit. And FWIW, I not only understand it, I am not the biggest supporter there.

@JB, do you know why Srixon went away from the silver face? Marketing or engineering??? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

This is true. I believe if fitting becomes more mainstream, it does become less important, but honestly even the biggest core golfers out there, the majority are still not being fit. And FWIW, I not only understand it, I am not the biggest supporter there.

Totally agree, and its why I'm always curious now to see how each company is going to push their releases as far as fitting goes, or if they will at all. I'm honestly surprised more haven't taken Titleist Thursdays and made their own twist, its pretty brilliantly effective.

I absolutely don't believe it "needs" adjustability to be premium. And I believe most golfers either buy something off the rack and play it as is, or gets fit and doesn't have any desire to touch anything. For them, the added cost of adjustability isn't necessary. But for those that like to tinker, it sure is nice to just loosen one screw to swap out shafts. It is definitely an interesting topic.

@JB, do you know why Srixon went away from the silver face? Marketing or engineering??? Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

I asked about this very thing. One part aesthetics, one part cup face engineering made easier.

Totally agree, and its why I'm always curious now to see how each company is going to push their releases as far as fitting goes, or if they will at all. I'm honestly surprised more haven't taken Titleist Thursdays and made their own twist, its pretty brilliantly effective.

Honestly? I think its because it wasn't that effective. Its green grass driven, and the last release didn't do so well.
I think if it does become bigger, you will see it more often. Callaway had something very similar (smaller scale) with their test trials and of course both Callaway and TaylorMade still have demo days, which for the mainstream are similar.
My gut says for fitting to become more popular, the service as a sold service has to be accepted. We have seen Titleist thursday compared to a Club Champion/Cool Clubs/etc and called similar, but not by anybody that has actually gone through both : )

The interesting part to relate this back to these drivers is this is something that Srixon could do well if their stats hold up. That they found Rogue the longest, TaylorMade 2nd and Ping 3rd and beat all of them by 2 yards. That would mean going solely off distance, more golfers should get fit into this head, so getting out there with demo days, and places like Club Champion should see in uptick.

I'll say this, I love that they used the red accent. It really does pop.
It adds a great accent/detail to the overall dark look.

you sure? they look pretty similar to me in the pics. would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison of the look at address.

can someone help me understand why the triangle shape is beneficial? i thought it was for aerodynamics, but i didn't know if maybe there are moi or other advantages as well.

To my understanding, how you manipulate that 460cc for max MOI is to move weight low and aft. Thus, a triangle shape allows you to put weight farther away from the face of the club, increasing forgiveness. I think it got hauled to some pretty ridiculous extremes some years ago before kinda getting reined in. This driver does look a little pulled toward the back, but not bad. I could see that being a really confidence-inspiring look.

I asked about this very thing. One part aesthetics, one part cup face engineering made easier.

Honestly? I think its because it wasn't that effective. Its green grass driven, and the last release didn't do so well.
I think if it does become bigger, you will see it more often. Callaway had something very similar (smaller scale) with their test trials and of course both Callaway and TaylorMade still have demo days, which for the mainstream are similar.
My gut says for fitting to become more popular, the service as a sold service has to be accepted. We have seen Titleist thursday compared to a Club Champion/Cool Clubs/etc and called similar, but not by anybody that has actually gone through both : )

The interesting part to relate this back to these drivers is this is something that Srixon could do well if their stats hold up. That they found Rogue the longest, TaylorMade 2nd and Ping 3rd and beat all of them by 2 yards. That would mean going solely off distance, more golfers should get fit into this head, so getting out there with demo days, and places like Club Champion should see in uptick.

I was listening to Sirius XM radio (don't remember which show) and one of the hosts was talking about how much he loved his Rogue. He played with a Rep for Srixon and hit his prototype driver. He said he hit both his Rogue and the Srixon on one hole. Both piped down the middle... Srixon was 1yd farther without any fitting. He was impressed for sure.

That is a good point, didn't think of it that way, was caught thinking only about the potential of it.

I was listening to Sirius XM radio (don't remember which show) and one of the hosts was talking about how much he loved his Rogue. He played with a Rep for Srixon and hit his prototype driver. He said he hit both his Rogue and the Srixon on one hole. Both piped down the middle... Srixon was 1yd farther without any fitting. He was impressed for sure.

another site mentioned two of it's testers who are quality hitters, gained 5-10 yards using the 785 vs their gamers

I’m sad the 585 driver is only in RH. I liked the 565 driver I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same question that Shiels had in that video. Why aren't more tour pros playing Srixon drivers? I wonder if that changes going forward because I feel like even the 565 and 765 were phenomenal drivers.

I've definitely got my eye on trying a 785. Old high school colors and paired with an Even Flow shaft. Thing could knock my Epic SZ out of the bag.

I had the same question that Shiels had in that video. Why aren't more tour pros playing Srixon drivers? I wonder if that changes going forward because I feel like even the 565 and 765 were phenomenal drivers.

I've definitely got my eye on trying a 785. Old high school colors and paired with an Even Flow shaft. Thing could knock my Epic SZ out of the bag.

He didnt do his research. :D
A handful have already changed as they said they were getting more distance.
The previous one, despite what has been reported out there, lacked the punch they wanted.

He didnt do his research. :D
A handful have already changed as they said they were getting more distance.
The previous one, despite what has been reported out there, lacked the punch they wanted.

That's really cool to hear. Any idea which players we're talking about here? Hideki?

That's really cool to hear. Any idea which players we're talking about here? Hideki?

Im not sure Hideki has changed yet, but is testing. GMac, Keegan, McGirt and a few others.

It's very impressive. I know we THP Community members are pretty amped up with anything that involves 'handcrafted' and this is probably no exception.

A bit later in the week, I'll get some numbers on the driver. This is a pretty serious graphic though... I wonder if I can slide into the 170s with this head.

ac9f054b40f5ce7f230da037b4dbaa62.png

This graphic is awesome. I like the way the testing was done and I like the way they are basically telling everyone to grab their rulers, because it's d*** measuring time! Considering that the testing was done from 5 points on the face I'm actually shocked that it beat out Jailbreak tech by 2mph. Srixon might be on to something here.

I think it will be interesting to follow this one, seeing as the previous release despite being highly touted ran right into an Epic wall and seemed pretty much DOA

Im not sure Hideki has changed yet, but is testing. GMac, Keegan, McGirt and a few others.

That's really cool. Happy for Srixon. Hopefully this helps them get in the public eye a bit more.

I'll check that out tonight when I get home.

i'm not trying to be a d1ck and you're certainly free to spend your time as you see fit, but i watched his review and i'm not sure what it will tell you that srixon's press info and the info thp has provided here don't already. just my $0.02.

Back