Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Hearing how many sets of clubs people go through just amazes me. Especially since I'm still playing my ping zings that I bought in like new condition in 1993. Definitely not knocking anybody, it just shows how cheap I am :). That and I never had any problems spinning my zings back when I played a lot, now that I'm getting back into it it might be a little more difficult
Well, thanks to THP, Ben Hogan, and UST Mamiya, I was given my current set of irons. IT's been quite the ride with them. My game has improved a lot, so I feel it's time to seek out something even better for my swing.

Hearing how many sets of clubs people go through just amazes me. Especially since I'm still playing my ping zings that I bought in like new condition in 1993. Definitely not knocking anybody, it just shows how cheap I am :). That and I never had any problems spinning my zings back when I played a lot, now that I'm getting back into it it might be a little more difficult

Your Zings have no doubt gotten worse - luckily your body is the same as it was in ‘93.

oh wait, reverse that ;)

I came back to the game a few years ago after a couple decades off. ‘93 was probably my last year of regular play before 2018 or so. Back then I was hitting DCI irons and carried a 1i. Times (and my back…and knees…and…) have changed.

1i, is that the fabled iron of the gods? ;) yes to be honest I'm just a wee bit older now and these clubs, well I don't think there's a whole lot of GrooVe left in the face

1i, is that the fabled iron of the gods? ;) yes to be honest I'm just a wee bit older now and these clubs, well I don't think there's a whole lot of GrooVe left in the face

I think the joke was from Lee Trevino. When out on the course during a lightning storm delay, he grabbed a 1-iron. When asked by his playing partner why he did that, his reply was, "even God can't hit a 1-iron."

FedEx just delivered this bad boy. Can’t wait to add it to the bag!

2F02AB0A-C7AD-4E46-97EE-3BBB2824BF56.jpeg
379C62D4-8A26-40EF-8CEE-8830B8ACDB26.jpeg

Haven't been swinging all that great lately. Getting a bit punished with the longer irons. I've been looking at a number of different irons that are a bit more forgiving in the longer irons....but can't get away from Srixon. Switching to set of ZX5/ZX7 combo. Found a great conditioned set online.

Not the classifieds section but if someone wants a 4-P set of ZX7s, hit me up!

So you're saying you were originally played the ZX7 and now you found a combo set online used of the ZX5 and ZX7?

So you're saying you were originally played the ZX7 and now you found a combo set online used of the ZX5 and ZX7?
yes that is correct!

Had the zx 7- 5 combo for a couple of months now, they are really really good. When you catch one out of the middle, you ask yourself, was that me ? Kudos to Srixon, coming from mizuno, these feel great, look great and I couldn't be happier.

My iron friends are getting new shafts this next week, but I'm not sure what I want to put in these beauties. Thinking maybe I should stick with a Modus since that's their stock. I've never played the 125's... :unsure:

My iron friends are getting new shafts this next week, but I'm not sure what I want to put in these beauties. Thinking maybe I should stick with a Modus since that's their stock. I've never played the 125's... :unsure:
Excuse me for being naive since I do not know your background, but wouldn't it be safer just to be fitted the proper shaft?

Excuse me for being naive since I do not know your background, but wouldn't it be safer just to be fitted the proper shaft?
Nothing proper about @OldandStiff give him a broom and pool cue and he will still shoot 69.

Yeah, that's generally good advice. I've shafted my main sets the same for the first time just about ever this summer, to good effect, but am wanting to change things up with new stuff coming out and just to try some other stuff. Wanting a little more weight, and I like X100 so I'm thinking Modus 125 might be a fun try.

I love me some ZeXy time with the 7's. Switched bags to play with the wife and technically missed 2 GIRs, but one GIR was already long gone before I even made the fairway so... that one shouldn't count. Despite only hitting about half the fairways too. Brilliant out of the rough, and the MF'ing A wedge was responsible for 3 easy birdies, one of which clipped the pin, so they continue to do all I ask and more. My back wasn't great to start the morning, and then after playing, and then switching clubs, and mostly taking it easy, I hauled off on the 8th & 9th tee, and then we had to wait forever on 10. Really did it in, and the easy distance and soft feels of the ZX7 were very much appreciated. I love Sundays with them.

I didn't hit a lot of GIR today but the distances where spot on. I had misses left and right but most all where pin high which is a plus.

As a 10-14 handycap would a combo of zx5/7 with the 8i as the start of the zx7 be workable?

Absolutely. No problem at all. I've had the ZX7s and the ZX5s. The ZX5s are more forgiving but both provide an awesome, soft forged feel. Can't say enough good things about the ZX iron series.

As a 10-14 handycap would a combo of zx5/7 with the 8i as the start of the zx7 be workable?

I'm a 12 and have no problem with zx7 up to 5i. I find them super forgiving while also looking fantastic behind the ball. One of my best shots all weekend was with the 6i.

I don't have the ZX range, but I was a 12 handicap when I moved to the Z785 / Z-Forged combo set in my bag, so I don't see why a ZX5/7 combo shouldn't work for you unless your iron striking is a problem

Still have these on my radar probably go ZX5 5-pw bent a degree weak! Some waiting times in the UK are currently out to December tho

So today I headed out to play an actual round - I typically can only do about 2 a month, though trying to get to once a week. I do manage to get to the course every day at this point, but it is range every other day and putt/chip every day.

It has been a slow return to form from both elbows with tendonitis. I still have it, but it is manageable and I'm really careful with stretching, ice after, sleeves during, etc. Sometimes it is one step forward, two steps back, but the swing coach has gotten me back on-track and the last few weeks while I've been inconsistent with my irons, I've been fairly consistently inconsistent - typically a toe strike. The last lesson he had me takeaway more outside, then drop inside on the way down while covering with my chest. When I tighten up, I don't drop inside and/or I don't cover - and it it toe-city. TBH the ZX7 actually does put the ball out there on bad strikes but I have to give the club a fighting chance to do its job.

Anywho, I get to the course and there is some tournament thing so no-go. Sighing, I head to the range. Since I have my full bag, I figure I'll run through the clubs, focusing on my swing issues as I change clubs. Hit/miss ratio was up, and when you are anywhere close to the sweet spot, the ball flight is inspiring. Worked my way up and down from AW to 6i, with a few 5H and SW thrown in for good measure. I've tried to knock the ZX7s out the bag, experimenting with i210 and Apex 21 along with some different gap/PW clubs. Those experiments have all led back to the conclusion that ZX7 wins for me, and any issues are mine and are correctable/manageable.

A properly hit 6i is wonderful thing...

Still have these on my radar probably go ZX5 5-pw bent a degree weak! Some waiting times in the UK are currently out to December tho
I’m waiting on my set to be built. Also going 1 degree weak.
Sorry about that crazy wait time. My delay is just my builders queue.

There is no honeymoon with the 7's...it's a long term relationship. Took my son out again to the range and had him start with the PTXpro's and he was doing okay. Gave him the ZX 7I just to see how it worked for him as they are a bit heavier. He was hitting it better...blown away. He's only starting to hit balls too and just couldn't believe it. Granted, they weren't consistently great...but he was actually hitting them better than the PTX.

I went out and played a round with my BIL while they were here visiting our Marine and celebrating his own FCancer results. This is the first time I actually swung the 4I on course and it was off the tee. We were playing up with the group we were paired with and driver wasn't the best call so the 4I and my DI got a lot of play.

Man-O-Man was this thing a beast and my DI was getting a little nervous as it started to keep up with the distance.

The rest of the irons held true to what I was seeing thus far. I actually pulled a 9I at par 3 that normally would have been a 7. I knew I had to get all of it and gave it a go anyway. Pulled it a touch left but pin high and just off the green! Crazy crazy irons!

Hit that 4I so well I just ordered the 3I for giggles and fun.

Back