St. Louis Area thread

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think hit up Peoria Ridge in OK first which will be about a 6 hour drive. Depending on what time we are done with that round try and hit up Rivercut which is about an 1.5 hours away. Finish up and have a little 3 hourish drive to the hotel.

I am playing Tapawingo on Saturday, has anyone played out there this year? It is usually in good shape, just haven’t played out there in a while.

The floods over the last couple of years have really taken a toll on the conditions. Lots of weeds/bare patches in the fairways, and the greens are spotty.

If I were to squeeze in a Saturday round on our way home should I go Pevely or Tapawingo?

If I were to squeeze in a Saturday round on our way home should I go Pevely or Tapawingo?

I haven't played Pevely this year, but I would guess that conditions are similar at both places. I think Tapawingo is the more interesting layout, and would go Woodlands/Prairie if possible. The Meramec nine is forgettable.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think hit up Peoria Ridge in OK first which will be about a 6 hour drive. Depending on what time we are done with that round try and hit up Rivercut which is about an 1.5 hours away. Finish up and have a little 3 hourish drive to the hotel.

Lots of 'ifs' here, but if you do have time for that second round on your drive up and if you're coming through when I'm still here, I can get you guys 25% off at Rivercut. Assuming a weekday that would be $33 ($29 if your FIL is 60). We're headed up for the PGA sometime Wednesday. BTW I'm impressed with your ambition. I've squeezed 1 round in on a drive that long often, but I never tried to do 2.

Last edited:
Lots of 'ifs' here, but if you do have time for that second round on your drive up and if you're coming through when I'm still here, I can get you guys 25% off at Rivercut. Assuming a weekday that would be $33 ($29 if your FIL is 60). We're headed up for the PGA sometime Wednesday. BTW I'm impressed with your ambition. I've squeezed 1 round in on a drive that long often, but I never tried to do 2.

Go big or go home. We are leaving around 4am so I think it's possible. We also play pretty fast so as long as no one is in front of us it's doable.

Sidebar for STL peeps (and anyone else coming up for the PGA): really stoked to see Tiger play, especially after his showing at the Open this weekend. Can't wait for Sunday at the PGA.

I’ll be there Thursday and Sunday. Yeah, I’m pretty excited but given the huge crowds I’m keeping my expectations low. Hopefully I’ll learn enough on Thursday to set myself up in some key locations on Sunday. Parking logistics are a bummer, I live 10 minutes from Bellerive and I’m not looking forward to parking in Fenton. I think we’ll be mooching rides to the pick up drop off spot.

Last edited:
I’ll be there Thursday and Sunday. Yeah, I’m pretty excited but given the huge crowds I’m keeping my expectations low. Hopefully I’ll learn enough on Thursday to set myself up in some key locations on Sunday. Parking logistics are a bummer, I live 10 minutes from Bellerive and I’m not looking forward to parking in Fenton. I think we’ll be mooching rides to the pick up drop off spot.

Yeah, my office is not far from the course... was thinking I'd park there and take an Uber or something.

Although I live just north of STL and would love to be part of a major especially since they are very rare in our parts .......with having been to several PGA Tour events, knowing the crowd capacities for a major championship, wanting to follow Tiger knowing how much of a train wreck that will be crowd wise, you would honestly see and watch more on TV from the comfort of your own home and/or favorite bar than you can in person without the expense and hassle of all the people. Unless you just have to be "that guy" that yells "baba booey!!!" after Ian Poulter tees off or just have to have a shirt or a putter cover that says 2018 PGA Championship to show your Sunday buddies that you went, to me it wouldn't be worth it.

My lonely opinion

Last edited:
Although I live just north of STL and would love to be part of a major especially since they are very rare in our parts .......with having been to several PGA Tour events, knowing the crowd capacities for a major championship, wanting to follow Tiger knowing how much of a train wreck that will be crowd wise, you would honestly see and watch more on TV from the comfort of your own home and/or favorite bar than you can in person without the expense and hassle of all the people. Unless you just have to be "that guy" that yells "baba booey!!!" after Ian Poulter tees off or just have to have a shirt or a putter cover that says 2018 PGA Championship to show your Sunday buddies that you went, to me it wouldn't be worth it.

My lonely opinion

All good; to each his own. I lived in Columbus, OH long enough to attend the Memorial a couple times and really enjoyed it. It's crowded but still fun.
Personally I find it MUCH easier to attend these events alone than with a group... that way I can walk around, see what/who I want, etc.

Watching these guys play up close is pretty amazing IMO. I don't mind the hassle. And I plan on elbowing "baba booey" guy in the kidneys if he's anywhere near me.

Watching these guys play up close is pretty amazing IMO

Ohhh no doubt, it is amazing to watch these guys slap balls. Its almost mesmerizing. I could watch them on the range for hours and not think twice. It is true, watching these guys hit shots in person doesn't come close as watching on TV. Problem is getting to a spot where you can even watch them hit shots at an event like this is the problem for me. As cool as it is, its not cool enough for me to fight the crowds and the BS. I guess once you have done it you weigh the BS over the performances which leads to watching it on TV for me. Again, my sole opinion and not digging on anyone who enjoys it or loves going.

My other problem going to these is I tend to raid merch tents / pro shops lol Im such a pro shop / merch tent junky

Ohhh no doubt, it is amazing to watch these guys slap balls. Its almost mesmerizing. I could watch them on the range for hours and not think twice. It is true, watching these guys hit shots in person doesn't come close as watching on TV. Problem is getting to a spot where you can even watch them hit shots at an event like this is the problem for me. As cool as it is, its not cool enough for me to fight the crowds and the BS. I guess once you have done it you weigh the BS over the performances which leads to watching it on TV for me. Again, my sole opinion and not digging on anyone who enjoys it or loves going.

My other problem going to these is I tend to raid merch tents / pro shops lol Im such a pro shop / merch tent junky

For sure; totally get it. I have a pathological aversion to buying overpriced merch so I usually get out without spending too much dough.

I would also guess that the Memorial is a different animal than a major. It's Jack's tourney and it's very, very laid back. Jack himself wanders around the crowd like a regular guy. I turned around once to see him and Mr. Palmer chatting a few feet away... I don't get star-struck much, but that was a bit of a moment.

Seems like the majors probably have a different sort of energy and corresponding hassle factor.

For sure; totally get it. I have a pathological aversion to buying overpriced merch so I usually get out without spending too much dough.

I would also guess that the Memorial is a different animal than a major. It's Jack's tourney and it's very, very laid back. Jack himself wanders around the crowd like a regular guy. I turned around once to see him and Mr. Palmer chatting a few feet away... I don't get star-struck much, but that was a bit of a moment.

Seems like the majors probably have a different sort of energy and corresponding hassle factor.

Man, that would be cool to turn around and see Jack and Arnie standing there.

Yeah, even though I havnt been to a major before in person you can clearly see on TV its crazy compared to most tour events. I dunno, not trying to discourage anyone from going but when I found out the PGA was in STL I was like...man I really want to go but don't want to F*&C with the crowd and the people just to say I got to watch Tiger hit a tee shot OB lol

Man, that would be cool to turn around and see Jack and Arnie standing there.

Yeah, even though I havnt been to a major before in person you can clearly see on TV its crazy compared to most tour events. I dunno, not trying to discourage anyone from going but when I found out the PGA was in STL I was like...man I really want to go but don't want to F*&C with the crowd and the people just to say I got to watch Tiger hit a tee shot OB lol

The few moments that stand out in my memory at PGA events (other than Jack and Arnie):

-It rained, hard, and there was a delay. Most of the crowd went home. We returned when play resumed and ended up watching Phil, Vijay and Fred Couples play 5 holes with a gallery of about 20 people. It was amazing to watch them up close.

-We followed Phil last time the PGA was a Bellrieve. His short game is un-effing-believable to watch. It’s like magic.

-Jack does an afternoon session on the range at the Memorial where he talks with the crowd and brings out a few tour guys to shoot the sh!t and hit some shots. Very cool.

The few moments that stand out in my memory at PGA events (other than Jack and Arnie):

-It rained, hard, and there was a delay. Most of the crowd went home. We returned when play resumed and ended up watching Phil, Vijay and Fred Couples play 5 holes with a gallery of about 20 people. It was amazing to watch them up close.

-We followed Phil last time the PGA was a Bellrieve. His short game is un-effing-believable to watch. It’s like magic.

-Jack does an afternoon session on the range at the Memorial where he talks with the crowd and brings out a few tour guys to shoot the sh!t and hit some shots. Very cool.

Haha, ok yeah you got me beat! That sounds like an awesome time!!

Haha, ok yeah you got me beat! That sounds like an awesome time!!

I do hear ya though. The parking and all that is a royal PITA. And Baba Booey Guy.

Agreed with the comment earlier regarding Tiger - it should bring a lot of buzz as people will be expecting him to be in the mix. Beside the tournament itself, I'm really excited for Tuesday and just seeing these guys hit the ball and work their way around the course.

I do hear ya though. The parking and all that is a royal PITA. And Baba Booey Guy.

I live within walking distance....about 1.5 miles and I have to drive to chesterfield and park then ride the shuttle in......that sucks. I was going to ride my bike up there and chain it up, but they won’t even allow that. I guess these are 1st world problems.

I’ll be there and the parking seems like it’s going to be a mess. Can’t wait for the tournament get to take my kids with me which is going to be awesome. I’ve accepted the fact that the crowds will be crazy but not going to get a chance to go to a major anytime soon. THP meet up at the PGA?

Have fun guys. I hope its a good one

Have fun guys. I hope its a good one

Thanks. Looks like you will be busy the following week in Chicago! Have fun as well.

What amazes me is in 92 we all parked next door at the hunter farm. Golf has grown so much that satellite parking is required for everyone.

It won’t really be too bad. There will be tons of shuttles. I will be at st Charles convention center since I have a V tag. It’s only a short 10 min ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

664b74a5f601cd0c3d6101fc34fb9110.jpg

I’ll be there and the parking seems like it’s going to be a mess. Can’t wait for the tournament get to take my kids with me which is going to be awesome. I’ve accepted the fact that the crowds will be crazy but not going to get a chance to go to a major anytime soon. THP meet up at the PGA?

I’ll be on hole 4 most of the day inside the ropes. I’m a hole captain so I will be roaming the hole most of the time.

Back