Stock Market & Retirement Planning

I've moved some stuff around and currently looking for some quality buys right now. Just don't know what to do. My gut says look at utilities, but I'm inclined to be more aggressive

I've moved some stuff around and currently looking for some Walcott buys right now. Just don't know what to do. My gut says look at utilities, but I'm inclined to be more aggressive

Im just standing pat. I bought a few more things last week, but this election year scares the crap out of me and my fear is having less money overall by a huge margin, so Im just keeping what I have and wont be adding anything except my IRA this year.

Im just standing pat. I bought a few more things last week, but this election year scares the crap out of me and my fear is having less money overall by a huge margin, so Im just keeping what I have and wont be adding anything except my IRA this year.

Election year scares me. Part of me says take what I've moved and throw into savings and hold tight like you mentioned

Election year scares me. Part of me says take what I've moved and throw into savings and hold tight like you mentioned

Mine is literally just sitting as cash in my Schwab account.
The beating that has been going on lately shows me where this country is.
While there will always be rises and falls, this one coming when it is gives me everything I need to realize that we are in trouble economically.
People just flat out have less money.

Mine is literally just sitting as cash in my Schwab account.
The beating that has been going on lately shows me where this country is.
While there will always be rises and falls, this one coming when it is gives me everything I need to realize that we are in trouble economically.
People just flat out have less money.

So true. The struggle is real across the country. I'm fairly insulated being here, but feeling the pinch at the register more and more where groceries and everyday goods are concerned.

Mine is sitting as cash in my Fidelity account also.

So true. The struggle is real across the country. I'm fairly insulated being here, but feeling the pinch at the register more and more where groceries and everyday goods are concerned.

Mine is sitting as cash in my Fidelity account also.

We dont have a lot, due to the structure of our business, but we take a few hundred dollars each pay day and it goes in there. (not including retirement fund).
But right now it just sits. Everything is so far down and the talk now is not when, but if. And with that if, what the heck we will see in the future.

We dont have a lot, due to the structure of our business, but we take a few hundred dollars each pay day and it goes in there. (not including retirement fund).
But right now it just sits. Everything is so far down and the talk now is not when, but if. And with that if, what the heck we will see in the future.

I have the bulk in my 401k, but that's just taking a beating and not much I can do.

My personal Fidelity account is where I maintain my portfolio and that's where it got the most cash & stocks.

I agree the outlook is bleak and won't see anything solid until this downturn hits bottom (wherever that is)

This market is weird. So many ups and downs that don't seem to correlate to the economy here in the US

This market is weird. So many ups and downs that don't seem to correlate to the economy here in the US

When they are talking about a "snow event" helping snow stocks I kinda laughed. Trying to hold onto anything to be positive.

IMO we are seeing a slight correction couples with an election year. By mid year we'll see more of what the market will be going forward.

Gosh it was good to see a day where the market was actually up 2%. I've been through these downturns before but it's still hard when the market drops 10%+ in such a short timeframe. There are some very big earnings come out this week so soon we may have some clarity if we are at the bottom or have further to go.

Last edited:
For anyone who wants to own AAPL, it's at $95 this morning. I see very little down side from here but an upside of 50% in the next 12-18 months. The big money managers are increasing their positions in Apple.

Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) had its price target decreased by Barclays from $150.00 to $142.00 in a research report report published on Wednesday morning, StockTargetPrices.comreports. Barclays currently has an overweight rating on the iPhone maker’s stock
Several hedge funds and institutional investors have modified their holdings of AAPL. EQIS Capital Management raised its position in shares of Apple by 249.3% in the fourth quarter. EQIS Capital Management now owns 54,153 shares of the iPhone maker’s stock valued at $5,700,000 after buying an additional 38,648 shares during the last quarter. EisnerAmper Wealth Management raised its position in shares of Apple by 3.3% in the fourth quarter. EisnerAmper Wealth Management now owns 12,310 shares of the iPhone maker’s stock valued at $1,296,000 after buying an additional 391 shares during the last quarter. Cullinan Associates raised its position in shares of Apple by 33.8% in the fourth quarter. Cullinan Associates now owns 164,400 shares of the iPhone maker’s stock valued at $17,305,000 after buying an additional 41,513 shares during the last quarter. Capital City Trust Company raised its position in shares of Apple by 4.7% in the fourth quarter. Capital City Trust Company now owns 53,958 shares of the iPhone maker’s stock valued at $5,679,000 after buying an additional 2,410 shares during the last quarter. Finally, Webster Bank raised its position in shares of Apple by 3.3% in the fourth quarter. Webster Bank now owns 106,489 shares of the iPhone maker’s stock valued at $11,209,000 after buying an additional 3,428 shares during the last quarter.

Last edited:
I have my eye on AMZN, and the oil players (via XLE). A test of patience to pull the trigger. In the meantime, PDI with DRIP is my steady eddie, and in Dec I piled into some BTAL which is another interesting ETF. Basically, the ETF tracks an index that longs low beta stocks and shorts high beta stocks. Positive returns when the low betas fall less than high betas; it's a spread play that's doing well in the current environment. Other than that, I'm in the house of pain/patience...I'm in KMI at $17.50 and trying to just ride it out.

I have my eye on AMZN, and the oil players (via XLE). A test of patience to pull the trigger. In the meantime, PDI with DRIP is my steady eddie, and in Dec I piled into some BTAL which is another interesting ETF. Basically, the ETF tracks an index that longs low beta stocks and shorts high beta stocks. Positive returns when the low betas fall less than high betas; it's a spread play that's doing well in the current environment. Other than that, I'm in the house of pain/patience...I'm in KMI at $17.50 and trying to just ride it out.

BTAL sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. I'm in the house of pain with Apple but most of my other individual stocks are up. Obviously our 401k's and all three of our 529's have taken a hit as well. I'm much more of a medium to long term investor than I am a trader but I'm working with my advisor to sell some intermediate term puts on Apple stock.

GoPro took a beating and suspended trading for a bit. Woodman finally made mention that they need to fix some things including creating a software that is easy and usable for the people buying GoPro.

Despite the down market, man do I enjoy dividend time.
While I dont see it as I reinvest all, its nice to see percentages of shares add up.

While I dont see it as I reinvest all, its nice to see percentages of shares add up.
Do they charge you to reinvest? Most brokers do but I think the self directed options let you do this for free

Another 50 points down on the S&P and I'll start looking to get back in.

Do they charge you to reinvest? Most brokers do but I think the self directed options let you do this for free

No sir. Schwab lets you choose the option.

Places charge you extra to reinvest your earnings???

Another reason I love Vanguard

Places charge you extra to reinvest your earnings???

Another reason I love Vanguard

"Full service" brokerage accounts usually do unless the company absorbs the fee. We use Pershing as a clearing firm and usually it's a $1 each reinvestment for stock. Nothing on mutual funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man the Steel Industry is getting hammered

my old employer AK steel (AKS) is a $6.5B company is down 45% to $2.34 a share. They were $11 a year and a half ago and a crazy $71 a share when I worked there until the recession hit.

US Steel which is like a $18B company is down 66% to $8.27 a share and they were $21 a year and a half ago too.

Both companies heavy with Debt, but they aint going anywhere anytime soon, especially US Steel as they have a ton of cash and solid liquidity.

And as I type this I see AKS is up 3% just today and US Steel is up almost 10% for the day (based on the share prices above).....kinda intrigued

It's nice to be able to watch your investment grow even in a down time!

"Full service" brokerage accounts usually do unless the company absorbs the fee. We use Pershing as a clearing firm and usually it's a $1 each reinvestment for stock. Nothing on mutual funds.

Our current financial advisor charges a 1% fee but I'm certain he's worth much more than that. It's nearly impossible to be an expert on all the different asset classes, tax implications, etc. without having some help. We managed our investments alone for most of our lives but now that we an exceptional advisor, we realize how little we knew. We took a lot of unnecessary risks and were unaware of the many different investment vehicles that are available. The problem is it's very hard to find an advisor who is worth his fee, certainly most of them put their interests before yours and can't beat the returns of a simple S&P500 fund.

[eQUOTE=tahoebum;4299899]Our current financial advisor charges a 1% fee but I'm certain he's worth much more than that. It's nearly impossible to be an expert on all the different asset classes, tax implications, etc. without having some help. We managed our investments alone for most of our lives but now that we an exceptional advisor, we realize how little we knew. We took a lot of unnecessary risks and were unaware of the many different investment vehicles that are available. The problem is it's very hard to find an advisor who is worth his fee, certainly most of them put their interests before yours and can't beat the returns of a simple S&P500 fund.[/QUOTE]
very true in the industry.

We are finally at a point that dividends add up quickly. Back in the day, a $12.20 dividend didn't exactly get me excited. Now we have enough shares that the dividend payout is pretty sweet!

Back