PackersGirl

2022 Grandaddy Alum
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm fair skin so I know my sunburns but this one I need help on. So, THP help me out. I was at the beach this weekend and something happened to my foot. Either something bit or scraped my foot or it's just a horrible sunburn. My foot is swollen and just feels awful. Anyone have a sunburn so bad that it makes that area swollen? Trying to narrow it down to what it could be causing it.

Jellyfish sting?

I'm fair skin so I know my sunburns but this one I need help on. So, THP help me out. I was at the beach this weekend and something happened to my foot. Either something bit or scraped my foot or it's just a horrible sunburn. My foot is swollen and just feels awful. Anyone have a sunburn so bad that it makes that area swollen? Trying to narrow it down to what it could be causing it.

Growing up in S. Florida I have had my fair share of sunburns and even sun poisoning a few times, I can’t say I recall it ever causing something to swell. I wonder if you were bit or stung by something.

Jellyfish sting?

I didn't feel anything but yet trying to keep track of about 15 teens in an ocean, I could have been distracted.

I have had so many sunburns and sun poisoning stories over the years, but agree that swollen is not one of them. Blisters and the skin bleeding to the touch, not swollen.

I am thinking of a cut that is infected, bitten, or stung. Check for cuts on the bottom of your foot.. Could easily get infected and hidden by sunburn

I'd look for a mark or puncture hole. I don't believe just a sunburn would cause swelling like that. The swelling is probably coming from your body fighting off an infection. On a beach, it doesn't take much ... a shell, the sand, etc. Once it opens up, bacteria can get in fairly quickly

Growing up in S. Florida I have had my fair share of sunburns and even sun poisoning a few times, I can’t say I recall it ever causing something to swell. I wonder if you were bit or stung by something.
I wonder if I was bit by something too. I don't see any puncture marks or anything though. It's the strangest thing!

I did have my the tops of my feet sunburned so bad at Lake Powell once that it caused it to swell. The top of the foot, very sensitive and sore. Had the Sun poisoning that @GolferGal mentioned with it. Bad stuff.

Sorry that happened. Sounds like a bite. Maybe sand got into it too?

I wonder if I was bit by something too. I don't see any puncture marks or anything though. It's the strangest thing!

I bet you got bit by something and didn’t even realize it. Try taking a Benadryl or something like that, if it’s an allergic reaction that will help with the swelling.

ouch.. I have had some nasty sun burns but I cant think of any time that I had swelling.

I did have my the tops of my feet sunburned so bad at Lake Powell once that it caused it to swell. The top of the foot, very sensitive and sore. Had the Sun poisoning that @GolferGal mentioned with it. Bad stuff.
Yes, it's on the top of my foot. It's very sensitive and swelling pretty bad. Been happening for 2 days now. How long did it take for it to stop swelling?

I bet you got bit by something and didn’t even realize it. Try taking a Benadryl or something like that, if it’s an allergic reaction that will help with the swelling.
Trying Benadryl now to see if that helps it. Thanks! This is horrible!

Is it possible it's something like a spider bite from back at the hotel/lodging?

Pretty sure my sister's daughter had something like that happen. Not a sting or bite, just had her feet out of the shade while she fell asleep. They swelled up quite a bit. We soaked her feet in cold water as much as she could take and it went away the next day.

Did you do a lot of walking too? That can certainly exacerbate the problem.

If its still bad, I'd see a doctor.

You could always have @Davidhibler pee on it and see if it helps :ROFLMAO:

Yes, it's on the top of my foot. It's very sensitive and swelling pretty bad. Been happening for 2 days now. How long did it take for it to stop swelling?
It was 2-3 days. Kept icing and elevating though like you would for any swelling. I think you should try that if you haven't already. I like @GolferGal suggestion of Benadryl too though.

Is it possible it's something like a spider bite from back at the hotel/lodging?
Hmm could be! Think cement floors and about 30 bunk beds....yeah, could be a good possibility.

I'm just going to eye roll that suggestion 🤣
But for real, the Benadryl is a great start. It will eliminate a ton of things it could be. I am no stranger to sunburn and I’ve gotten swelling at times. Hopefully it helps.46D5709A-CEFC-447A-AD2F-BCCC7E16ECA5.gif

Pretty sure my sister's daughter had something like that happen. Not a sting or bite, just had her feet out of the shade while she fell asleep. They swelled up quite a bit. We soaked her feet in cold water as much as she could take and it went away the next day.

Did you do a lot of walking too? That can certainly exacerbate the problem.

If its still bad, I'd see a doctor.
Yes, I was walking non stop from 7am- 11pm for 3 days straight. I finally noticed it Sunday afternoon but had to push through it. Yesterday evening was the first time I could actually rest it.
I'll go see a doctor tomorrow if it doesn't feel better after today. Thanks for the article, great information!

make sure to monitor to make sure the swelling doesn't start traveling further up your leg. That would mean you have an infection and its traveling. If it does head to urgent care or ER. sorry to hear about that.

Back