SuperStroke: A Brand Story

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is common place now, just a little over a decade ago was barely known. SuperStroke as a company burst on the scene and now in any given week 100+ PGA Tour players are using some form of their grips in the bag. To understand this rocket ship like phenomenon, we must first go back to where it began, back to even before 2009 when the first one appeared on tour in the bag of KJ Choi.

Dean Dingman has been in the golf business much of his life. Back in 1998, Dean, with his brother Darin, started producing beginner sets and licensed the name Tiger Shark for sales in the US. Shortly thereafter, they purchased the company outright. Why does this all matter? Because Tiger Shark had what many believe to be the original over-sized grip.

While all of this was taking place, the brand SuperStroke was created with a...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great read this morning and interesting to hear how explosive trajectory Super Stroke Grips took. I remember the first time I swapped out the grip on my 2-ball putter with a Super Stroke.

Cool read. I've had superstroke grips on my putter for a long time already

Interesting to read the story about how these grips became so popular.

Cool story. It's nice to hear one about a company that didn't have that mid story decline. With so many options for everything golf related it really surprises me to find out almost everyone on tour uses these putter grips. I've never tried them out and it sounds like I'm missing out big time.

I'm excited to learn about their customization tool and look forward to playing around with it when available. Perhaps that's what will make me try them for the first time.

Outstanding read. Always fun and interesting to read about the early days of companies that become wildly prosperous.

Fun story. No idea about it then once I started paying attention I have seen them everywhere it seems.

Let’s see, what could the future hold for SuperStroke? What announcements could we see in 2023?

If I was running the company and looking for ways to grow I would do the following:

1. Lamkin is a family owned company with a succession problem. SuperStroke would be a logical acquirer.

It would solve the Lamkin Family dilemma and give SuperStroke expanded marketshare, manufacturing capability while also taking a competitor out of the marketplace.

SuperStroke could probably cut their costs after the consolidation, improve margins and volume while increasing their influence in the golf world. The Swing Grip side of the business would get an immediate boost.

A win for all involved.

2. Putter shafts. The club that golfers use more than any other is starting to get some shaft love after years of being an afterthought. It is a growing area with probably decent profit margins and lots of companies are starting to take notice. As a premier putter grip maker why not add a premier shaft. Maybe buy Breakthrough Golf Technologies and then leverage the existing OEM and Tour relationships to really promote the Stability shafts.

Great write up, and what an amazing success story!

Very interesting. Thanks.

Love learning more about their origin. Love their putter grips and have used them exclusively when re-gripoing my putters for the past 8 years.

I love these brand stories! Another great one here. I can't wait to see what comes in 2023 from SuperStroke!

Love this story and didn't know until a few years ago they were a local company. IF their regular grips were even decent they'd be even bigger than they are.

:D Disclaimer, I am typing this before I read the article. SuperStroke is a grip I try real hard to go away from, but keep coming back to. Had one of the early ones, went away for a while, then to the Slim 2.0 for a few years, then spent several year trying other grips, before coming back to the Pistol GT 2.0 and not feeling comfortable the size. Trying out other grips from other manufacturers, then came back to the Pistol GT Tour on the 2022 Toulon line, only to again not like the size. Finally I settled in on the Pistol GT 1.0 and it feels like I am finally home. I won't say that I will not try other grips in the future, but I also did buy several of these 1.0s to have stashed away for future putter acquisitions, and am very very happy with it right now.

Going to give the story a read now.

Love this story and didn't know until a few years ago they were a local company. IF their regular grips were even decent they'd be even bigger than they are.
Their latest versions are actually pretty darn good. I have the S-Tech cord on a couple of wedges and might go full bag.

Their latest versions are actually pretty darn good. I have the S-Tech cord on a couple of wedges and might go full bag.
I haven't tried the latest version. I actually liked the S-tech when I first put them on but they were very thin and got slick quick. Maybe I'll have to take another look in the future

I haven't tried the latest version. I actually liked the S-tech when I first put them on but they were very thin and got slick quick. Maybe I'll have to take another look in the future
You can try mine next time we see each other too. The cords on the wedges have been a pleasant surprise.

You can try mine next time we see each other too. The cords on the wedges have been a pleasant surprise.
Cool. I like corded grips.

Great read this morning. Have used several super stroke putter grips in my time on the course. Have been considering giving their swing grips a tryout. Talk about skyrocketing sales.

I’ve been a fan of their putter grips for the last 7 years and switched to their swing grips in the last two years.

A great feature of their swing grips is their light weight.

I play midsize grips and the swing weight doesn’t change with SuperStroke grips like it does with the previous Golf Pride grips I was using.

I enjoy the brand story - thx!

As to the grips, I don't buy them ... any longer. Played several while attempting to find a putting technique. But my old-school technique does not meld well with their putting grips. And in the heat, the grips allow moisture to build. I bought their first swing grips and thought they were a horrible effort. But props to them for attempting to evolve and improve their product.

Good read. I like their putter grips a lot, and are usually the first ones I look at. I did not like the regular grips much when I tried them but that was several years ago. I'm sure they have made some improvements since then.

Very neat about the origins. I can only imagine how that wooden concept would have felt in the beginning.

Love Super Stroke, very intrigued with the "other golf technologies" and what is going to come out of that!

SuperStroke has been a putter grip of choice for a while now. The Pistol GT Tour is the perfect shape for me and the only thing that can make it better would be if they would make a corded version for the public.

For clubs I tried and really liked the Cross Comfort grips. The SE Texas humidity didn't play well and they had to be replaced. Right now I want to test their S-Tech cord grips on a couple of clubs to see how I like them compared to my NDMC Aligns

Great read! Very excited to get my SS swing grips in play as well as to get a SuperStroke back on my putter.

Back