SwingByte 2.0 THP Review Thread

I was watching SCHOOL OF GOLF chapter 35: The Future of Golf. Martin demoed the Srixon Swing Analyzer. I could not tell for sure if that was a SwingByte 2 on the driver he was swinging. Then they cut to the actually app and what do you know, it was definitely SwingByte something. Pretty cool stuff. 95% chance I'll be hitting the range today. Looking forward to using the SW2 outdoor for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got mine yesterday. I hope to really put this thing to the test. I'm going to get right into the virtual coach this afternoon (basement setup) to see what it has to say and if it's inline with what my pro has been working on.
I have a couple of lessons planned where I'm going to verify the data and talk about what the virtual coach is recommending. I also have a couple of Big Island layovers where I have access to the range to see if what the unit is displaying is what I'm seeing.
I will have a full summary review with all my findings by mid December just in time for Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was watching SCHOOL OF GOLF chapter 35: The Future of Golf. Martin demoed the Srixon Swing Analyzer. I could not tell for sure if that was a SwingByte 2 on the driver he was swinging. Then they cut to the actually app and what do you know, it was definitely SwingByte something. Pretty cool stuff. 95% chance I'll be hitting the range today. Looking forward to using the SW2 outdoor for the first time.

IIRC the folks at Cleveland/Srixon said it was SB2 with proprietary algorithms.

I'm really enjoying all the feedback here and now looking to buy one.

IIRC the folks at Cleveland/Srixon said it was SB2 with proprietary algorithms.
Interesting, I wonder if the normal SB2 has the Swing Action Score? Probably just developed for Srixon.

Interesting, I wonder if the normal SB2 has the Swing Action Score? Probably just developed for Srixon.

Yes, that part is proprietary for Srixon. They very much like their partnership with SB2 and spoke in detail about how good the device is when used properly.

Here is a YouTube going over the "Practice Mode" a little bit and giving a visual of the things it does, information it gives you, how it looks and how you can manipulate it. Sorry about the voice and clearing my throat, I'm fighting a cold. I sure did say "cool" a lot!

Spent some time on the range today using virtual coach. Full write up to come, but some quick hits:

- Either I have A LOT to work on in my swing (likely) or I just experienced a bit of teaching overload. My lesson plan included 3 issues with 16! Drill Videos. I'll elaborate in my review.

- I found a few times (after catching it a bit fat off the mats) that the alignment was off. Note to self and others; check alignment of device every few swings.

- I don't know if I fully understood the visual "game" to see if my swing had improved. I also noticed at this time the device was out of alignment, which could have factored into it, so more time with this is needed to judge efficacy.

- I let my son take some swings by changing user. He though it was cool (he's 11), noticed the difference between a flat and a more upright "C" in the visual, and it says he swings the driver 81mph (?!). It also showed him that his backswing was far too long, but that could have been because he was choking up on my clubs and they are a bit heavy for him to control.

- I did see improvement in ball flight after working on one of the drills, and the drill from the other day has straightened out my drives considerably (Thank you SwingByte!!).

More to come later.

Virtual Coach Part II

Okay, so not too sure what to make of this most recent Range Session. I decided I would start with the 5h and work on Lesson #3 which said that my trailing arm was ahead of my lead arm. This was the 18 vid lesson plan. I then proceeded to hit my 5h using the mini game where you hit ten balls and it tells you if you've improved. Needless to say, I topped the first 4, chunked the next three and hit 3 nicely (and straight). Well it told me that I had improved on the first 8 hits and the last two weren't great. It did say, however, that I had graduated to the next level of lessons! Woohoooo!

Scratching my head, I wiped out the lesson plan and decided to start anew. I grabbed my 9i and gave it the 5 necessary swings for the Virtual Coach to formulate a lesson. 4 out of the 5 hits were true and straight. Nice ball flight, right over the 100 yard marker.

Well, the Virtual Coach told me that I was doing the trailing arm thing again (despite my passing the "test" earlier) and showed me the same 18 vids but I was also not turning enough. 2 more vids. I did the 10 swing mini game again and 7 out of ten were true, nice distance and straight. It told me that only 6 were okay, but that was enough to pass me through to the next level.

About midway through the mini game, the Swingbyte's latch started disengaging and once almost flew all the way off after a swing. Once I was done with the 9i and lesson, I attached the device to my GW and starting swinging and the latch would no longer hold. I will contact CS again and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Initial thoughts.
I finally received this after it took forever to clear Canadian customs. The packaging is nice and simple. Easy to get to the unit. Downloading the app was easy. Setting up the clubs took some time. It would be better if they had some preset club information stored on their website that the app could access to save users some time. I had my info from #staffproto so it took about 5 minutes to enter. Connecting the device to my iPhone was a little tricky at first but the app has a nice help section and I had it paired shortly after. Aligning the unit on the club took a few minutes the first time. It actually took me a little bit to figure out how to undo the latch from the packaging. I have a nice alignment mark on my grips so I used that to align the SB2. Without the alignment line it would have been tricky to get it lined up perfectly as I find it looked odd initially. I got it right (I think) and I was ready to go.

I went right into the Swing Coach with my 7 iron. 5 swings. It found 2 faults. One was I have a low right elbow. I now this is true so +1 for the virtual coach. The other was that I was swinging down the target line too much. Huh? Looking at the help for this, Jim Hardy talks about how I need to swing inside to inside instead of inside to outside. This completely goes against what my coach has been teaching me and honestly I have a lesson booked with him and will discuss before I dive into this one. The app offers plenty of drills however it may be a little much for a high handicapper or someone without a real coach. I will play with the virtual coach a fair bit but I'm going to do it under the supervision of my pro. You also need some understanding the Jim Hardy's 1 or 2 plane golf swing. Again, perhaps a little much for some people. More on the virtual coach when I do my thorough review. I think it needs tweaking and a more specialized plan according to HCP level.

The data seems interesting. I'm working on hitting down on the ball along with my face/path combo. It seemed that I was super steep with my angle of attack but after doing a little research I found the article I was looking for. It talks about how the SB2 measures this and compares what you would see on trackman.
http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/93342853292/swingbyte-spotlight-attack-angle

The path and face info seems good although I have nothing to really judge it by other than feel as I'm hitting foam balls in my basement. I tried to really play with the face control and the SB seemed to get it right. I did a couple of out to in and vice versa exaggerated swings and the SB caught it.

The app worked great. Only once did it not register. Also, it dropped the pairing once over the last couple of days. Not bad.

One thing I wish SB had was better info on their website with the data and what a person should be looking for. The info seems scattered and difficult to find. The only pro swing I can find is a driver swing. I've done a fair bit of research on ball flight laws so the info on the app is easy to understand however a newbie might have some information overload. Again, a more organized and thorough website would help.

Anyways, I do like this unit so far but have just begun to explore the possibilities with it. I'm really going to dive into it with the assistance of my pro, flightscope and a few range sessions over the next month.

Great stuff so far guys, keep it up.

Got this out to the range to work on my driver this weekend, and I only got one swing before it powered down. Guessing a charging fail on my part. Recharged it yesterday afternoon, and am planning to get back out to the range later this evening.

How accurate have you testers found the AoA information? I remember seeing a few that were approaching or over double digits when short irons in hand, and I was just curious if that was a number that's not too far off for those who have seen that number on a flightscope/trackman etc.

On that same note, has the virtual coach made any comments about things like that?

Yesterday I got to witness just how bad my putting stroke is as I'm constantly leaving the putter blade open at contact. Ugggg, i've got some work to do.

How accurate have you testers found the AoA information? I remember seeing a few that were approaching or over double digits when short irons in hand, and I was just curious if that was a number that's not too far off for those who have seen that number on a flightscope/trackman etc.

On that same note, has the virtual coach made any comments about things like that?

That's what I thought and I found this article.
http://blog.swingbyte.com/post/93342853292/swingbyte-spotlight-attack-angle
It basically says the way the SB reads it adds about 6* to your numbers compared to Trackman.
The coach has not said anything about it yet to me but my numbers are pretty good with the AoA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spent some time Saturday at the range with the SwingByte 2 and recorded 42 swings with the PW, 6i and Driver. I used the PW to warm up with, recorded 3 shots after stretching and some ½, ¾ and full swing shots with my 54* wedge. Then it was time for the virtual coaching session, which asks you to use your 6i, although other clubs can be used as long as you are taking a full-swing, so I figured I’d do as asked of me and use my 6i for testing. (Quick note; my 6i gets VERY little use, and I will be moving to other clubs as testing continues.)
4ac18999d702e24be1349a809fd13760.jpg

The app asks you to record 5 swings, and you have the option to re-record as you go (say you top one, or hit one REALLY bad), for this exercise I re-recorded one shot as I was distracted and duffed it 20ft in front of me. I wanted to have as accurate data as possible for testing purposes. After I completed my 5-swings, I received a swing score (50 out of?) and a customized lesson plan for my 6i which identified 3 swing flaws:
Lesson 1: Spine too upright/excessive knee bend (1 Drill Video)
Lesson 2: You have a flat shoulder turn (7 Drill Videos)
Lesson 3: Your club is across the line (8 Drill Videos)
ac030e7e0d667323c4d6b34f3b67cbea.jpg

Each video drill is 1 ½ minutes – 3 ½ minutes in duration. Let’s say (for simple math-sake) that on average each video is 2 ½ minutes long (16 videos multiplied by 2.5 minutes each = 40 Minutes at the range watching videos, not hitting balls, and that’s not even taking into account time to work on each drill!!

This, in my opinion, is too much. It’s difficult to digest this much information at one time, and it is too time consuming. I think (again, my opinion) that focusing on one lesson at a time (per evaluation of 5 swings) and being able to work on that drill before moving on to the next flaw. There was a nice description of the flaws though, and most of the videos (I didn't watch all of them due to time concerns) were simple to understand, and pretty straight forward. I'll have a separate write up on those.
80205de1adcbf1c078321a76b98153cb.jpg
5705dc515070b814bf8142c0757d44fd.jpg
e33c9e35e998060cd6f7537a7564e7cf.jpg

After working on the drills for some time, it "tests" your improvement by having you hit 10 shots against some sort of dotted line. I was a bit unclear the relation between a "good" shot and one with a good result on the app at this point. I don't want to write this part off without further work, but here is what you'll see:
a701ef6d7711bcd71ddda2106a354ddf.jpg

e4565b168d742a947cdb24cf299f03a3.jpg
98f544ef920a5891fcc42497f6283e6f.jpg
77e1a62181333dd69754f57e201aeabe.jpg

I'm excited to get back out this weekend to work on some more coaching though, I feel my ball striking improving, and I'm seeing more consistent ball flight. Results always trump quirks in the process, and (so far) I'm seeing good results.

So unfortunately I saw the same issue yesterday that I did this past weekend. Email into support. I've done the troubleshooting steps and am awaiting a response. Will let you all know what I hear back.

love all the feedback, great write ups guys.

I agree with TUT, thats a lot of videos to watch at the range, I hope they have WIFI!

I really like the feedback this is giving though, when they release this for android, I think I will get it

Just reinstalled my swing byte and used swings from a year ago that were saved to it. The new drills are actually really really good.

Ok .. I tried this again . It keeps on sliding off the shaft but I have no idea what these numbers mean at all

a3046f644d0a036992c60ff450fb8b39.jpg
b4e74421a49ceec4f26e4c3086943e3b.jpg
51bd9d0115686a6c77e7591466c818e2.jpg

I kinda slowed down as i was afraid it would slip off the shaft and break. Every swing is slid down the shaft. I do like the app though , maybe I'm just not using it right as it keeps on sliding down and un hinging

a3046f644d0a036992c60ff450fb8b39.jpg
b4e74421a49ceec4f26e4c3086943e3b.jpg
51bd9d0115686a6c77e7591466c818e2.jpg

I kinda slowed down as i was afraid it would slip off the shaft and break. Every swing is slid down the shaft. I do like the app though , maybe I'm just not using it right as it keeps on sliding down and un hinging

Other people have had an issue with this, I would contact Swing Byte customer service as they seem to be quite responsive.

Are you using the version with the virtual swing coach? If so, I wouldn't focus so much on the numbers to start. Yes, numbers ARE important and will help you fine tune your swing, but creating proper swing fundamentals seems to be the idea behind the virtual coaching.

If you log onto the site, there is a better description of each data point, and what they do, although it doesn't take you all the way to answering what the ideal numbers would be for your swing.
Hope this answer helps.

Heard back from Swingbyte CS and they're shipping me a replacement unit. Emailed with Shira, went through some troubleshooting steps and determined that a replacement was necessary. Top notch service!

Sent shira an email request on clasp problem .. Literally 2 minutes later a response on helping me

great customer service. And looking at my swing from today versus almost a year and a half ago I did improve. I was 16 degrees ott versus 5 degrees from the inside. So all these lessons are working

Back