Switched to a Diablo Edge Driver...results so far

cmoors

Resident Swinger
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure its no surprise to this forum, considering the club did so well in the shootout.

I'm a 10.8 with 104mph swing speed who struggles feeling comfortable with the driver. Sometimes I get 265 off the tee working it both ways, other times I feel lost hitting 200 yard shanks. My G10 w/prolaunch red and D2 w/diamana blue stiffs were the best fits for me..."were" being the operative word.

I feel like I can absolutely rip this Edge. I literally swing "hard" now (something I was scared of before), and that club somehow puts me in play.

It's amazing what confidence in your driver can do for your game. I hit one off the very tip of the toe yesterday (had to check the paint job!) and got 230 yards. Haven't measured my longest but I think I'm averaging 265-ish now...and in play!

10 degree stiff was fit to me and hits high, long bombs with just the right amount of backspin. Feel is great off the face and you get used to the setup (not as pretty as my D2); I encourage you folks to give it a try.

Big thanks to the Hackers Paradise for confirming my own personal club testing. Good luck to all you other folks hunting for your "fairway finder".

Always like to see personal validation with our Shoot Outs, because I am not part of the testing. Glad it has worked for you as well. It's funny, out of the 24 guys involved in our DSO, this year, 11 of them have already purchased a Diablo Edge driver as their own after hitting 25 different drivers. Not a bad testimony there at all.

I hope it finds fairways for a long long time! (something I can't do now that I am trying to rebuild my swing...so I cheer for others success haha.)

Always like to see personal validation with our Shoot Outs, because I am not part of the testing. Glad it has worked for you as well. It's funny, out of the 24 guys involved in our DSO, this year, 11 of them have already purchased a Diablo Edge driver as their own after hitting 25 different drivers. Not a bad testimony there at all.

11 out of 24 does say a lot! that's outstanding really. it's cool to get some information like this now that the shootout's come and gone and the magazine is here. thanks for the info.

Nice! Im gaming one with the THP contest winning Miyazaki blue shaft, its a great driver! Wish I could say I hit 265 but Im still a big fan of the Diablo series. Looking at the 3W today, just might add that one too.,

Diablo Edge Driver shaft selection

Diablo Edge Driver shaft selection

JB,

I realize how personalized shaft selection is.
However, do you know if the majority of the 11 guys that purchased, chose the standard Aldila Habanero shaft? This shaft is supposed to provide surprisingly strong performance, which is generally not the case for "stock" shafted drivers. Thanks!

BillsFanBob

JB,

I realize how personalized shaft selection is.
However, do you know if the majority of the 11 guys that purchased, chose the standard Aldila Habanero shaft? This shaft is supposed to provide surprisingly strong performance, which is generally not the case for "stock" shafted drivers. Thanks!

BillsFanBob

I can confirm that 6 of them do have the stock shaft, but have not asked the other 5. I will see most of them this week though.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

BTW, hit a 298 yard drive yesterday and had one of my best driving rounds in years. Overcooked two draws and couldn't close the face on two but the edge kept all four shots in play.

Two of my buddies bought one last week after trying mine...both from Golfsmith.

Now they're really thanking me, because they're basically free ;)

As to the shaft comment, I was tempted to reshaft myself but the Habanero has a great feel (loads well) and I'm getting awesome distance.

One thing to note: for the 3 of us, two really preferred the regular shaft as opposed to the stiff. I like both as well but the stiff "hooked" less for me, and faded a bit more (my worst miss is a hard hook).

Last edited:
Any of those the tour version?

The tour version was in our DSO, yes. The regular version won it. Surprised a lot of us, but it was liked by so many.

I know I switched to the Diablo driver late last season. I loved it. I thought it was an ugly looking club at first, but hit it the best out of all that I tried. One of the local clubs has a demo weekend with all of the big companies this weekend. I will definately give the Diablo Edge a shot, although I don't think I will be making a driver switch any time soon.

What's the consensus view of the Edge versus the prior year's Diablo? How significant were the improvements?

(I play last year's model, and certainly am not talented enough to justify a switch today... but I am more than a little curious!)

All were the non-tour Edge.

As for last year's Diablo, I didn't like it when I tried it...but it was awhile ago so I can't really compare.

I'm still shocked I'm playing a Callaway driver, always thought I was a Ping man. Just goes to show you be open-minded when you try new clubs.

All were the non-tour Edge.

As for last year's Diablo, I didn't like it when I tried it...but it was awhile ago so I can't really compare.

I'm still shocked I'm playing a Callaway driver, always thought I was a Ping man. Just goes to show you be open-minded when you try new clubs.

same for me...I never really like Callaway(prefer Ping), but when I was demoing drivers last summer, I tried the Diablo and for some reason it just felt right

ARGH!

This is the conundrum I face! G15 or Diablo Edge...#2 vs #1 in the shootout.....sheesh.

ARGH!

This is the conundrum I face! G15 or Diablo Edge...#2 vs #1 in the shootout.....sheesh.

I am THIS close to making the switch myself.

I am THIS close to making the switch myself.

The regular Edge or the Tour? I'm so tempted...especially after I got hosed on the Cobra S2 deal, money down the drain, theives suck.

You dig it over the G15 personally?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking all!

The regular Edge or the Tour? I'm so tempted...especially after I got hosed on the Cobra S2 deal, money down the drain, theives suck.

You dig it over the G15 personally?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking all!

Regular Edge. I do prefer it over the G15.

JB do you like it more than the R9 or are you just thinking of trying something new?

Um...so...before you replied....I drank the Kool-Aid...10* is on the way now.

Sheesh I've got issues! Whats worse is I've already got a new Graman S70 Shaft for it! lol

JB do you like it more than the R9 or are you just thinking of trying something new?

I have hit a lot of drivers over the last 18 months. I switched to the R9 roughly 16 months ago and despite trying a ton of great drivers, this one has always stayed in my bag. Made it through a shaft change to the Miyazaki black and again this weekend to the Miyazaki Blue. Now, I hit the Diablo Edge previously (after the DSO) and really liked it, and thought about switching, but went back to the Taylormade. I got to try a Diablo Edge again this weekend and was swinging well, and just fell in love with it.

Re: Switched to a Diablo Edge Driver...results so far

JB said:
Regular Edge. I do prefer it over the G15.

Don't let OEM Kevin see this post...he may fly back down there to get his driver back lol

I have hit a lot of drivers over the last 18 months. I switched to the R9 roughly 16 months ago and despite trying a ton of great drivers, this one has always stayed in my bag. Made it through a shaft change to the Miyazaki black and again this weekend to the Miyazaki Blue. Now, I hit the Diablo Edge previously (after the DSO) and really liked it, and thought about switching, but went back to the Taylormade. I got to try a Diablo Edge again this weekend and was swinging well, and just fell in love with it.

having seen you first hand hit some balls with the diablo edge, you're making the right decision. not that the R9 was horrible for you but the edge just had that little extra something. i'm glad that it worked out well for you, i know you were putting some thought into it.

JB,

Are you going to play the Miyazaki Blue shaft in the Diablo Edge driver? If so, how does it compare in feel, distance & accuracy versus the stock Aldila Habanero shaft?

I am going to play the Miyazaki Blue shaft in it. I did not get a huge distance gain. Maybe 5 yards, but accuracy and feel is night and day. However with that being said, I found the stock shaft quite good.

Back