Tater Tots - prove me wrong.

Are tater tots closer to hashbrowns or french fries?

• You've blown my mind - I never ... you son of a gun you're right! (Hashbrowns)

Votes: 47 77.0%
  • Get out and take your food thoughts with you! (French Fries)

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • xThor...

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters
McDonald's "hashbrowns" and Arby's potato cakes are just flat tater tots.

So by this logic, meatloaf and burgers are the same, because they are the same main ingredient, despite assembled, made and eaten differently.
Makes perfect sense.
You are correct in that. However, since tots and hashbrowns are the same ingredient (there's nothing else in there except shredded potatoes) the only difference is in the form factor. Meatloaf and burgers have different ingredients (how many depends on who's mother's recipe is being used.) Therefore not a real apples-to-apples comparison. Deep fryer versus flattop is the same. Hot oil , just a different form factor.

Edit: and I have lived all over the U.S. not just the Midwest.

So by this logic, meatloaf and burgers are the same, because they are the same main ingredient, despite assembled, made and eaten differently.
Makes perfect sense.
eh, I don't think this works. Meatloaf is more like mashed potatoes, it contains other ingredients and is of a different consistency, whereas tots and hashbrowns are the same ingredients and mostly the same consistency. Either way both are awesome.

hash browns are for breakfast with eggs.
french fries are for lunch with burgers.
tots are for dinner in a casserole.

and frankly, none of them are all that good. :eek:
are you trying to achieve @xThor status with this take? :p

I think this depends on what’s being called hash browns. If it’s the cake/patty variety, then I can understand the comparison. If it’s fresh cut potato cubes or shredded potato, then there is a mile between those and tots.

You are correct in that. However, since tots and hashbrowns are the same ingredient (there's nothing else in there except shredded potatoes) the only difference is in the form factor. Meatloaf and burgers have different ingredients (how many depends on who's mother's recipe is being used.) Therefore not a real apples-to-apples comparison. Deep fryer versus flattop is the same. Hot oil , just a different form factor.
No, that is incorrect.
They are cooked entirely differently. They are eaten entirely differently. And any good cook seasons them differently.

Deep fry vs a flat top is the same? That is just not accurate. Its why the Maillard Reaction takes place hitting a hot hard surface at the temp used to cook potatoes.

Based off of taste and nothing else it's hash browns. At the end of the day all I care about is taste anyway.

No, this is not correct.
The only thing they have in common with hashbrowns is that they are both shredded potatoes.

They are not cooked the same, or even cooked in the same vessel.
They are used with dipping sauces unlike most hashbrowns.
They are not eaten the say way, unless you are a weirdo.

So is the mc'ds hashbrown really just a large tator tot?

in this instance I would say yes.

It does seem more tator tot the hash brown. Hash brown should be loose shredded or diced potatoes.

No, that is incorrect.
They are cooked entirely differently. They are eaten entirely differently. And any good cook seasons them differently.

Deep fry vs a flat top is the same? That is just not accurate. Its why the Maillard Reaction takes place hitting a hot hard surface.
Wait, what? How they are eaten really has no bearing on whether they are different or not. As to the Maillard Reaction how is it different than the searing that takes place in hot oil versus on a flattop? The oil is the same, the temps are the same, and the potato product doesn't even touch the flattop, it rests on a layer of oil. Spices, eh, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that.

I see tots as a hybrid. Praise the tots! Alone or in some calorie laden hot dish

Wait, what? How they are eaten really has no bearing on whether they are different or not. As to the Maillard Reaction how is it different than the searing that takes place in hot oil versus on a flattop? The oil is the same, the temps are the same, and the potato product doesn't even touch the flattop, it rests on a layer of oil. Spices, eh, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that.
No the temps are not the same generally speaking. And for many the oil isn’t the same either due to smoking points of different oils. Hence hard surface to create the reaction, which creates a different texture. You can get the reaction with deep frying, usually seen with chicken, but it will not offer the same texture.

For an example, drop some butter in your deep fried hash browns next time. But as mentioned above, you do you. If you want to think it’s the same, go for it.

I agree they are much closer to hash browns than french fries are. Not the same but much closer.

This thread is also so ripe with skimmers. :ROFLMAO:

A hash brown and tater tot have pretty similar textures and flavor profiles to my palate. Application of a tater tot is more like a french fry in that I'm dipping it in ketchup and/or the sauce accompanying the main dish I'm eating. I generally prefer them to french fries especially with chicken wings as they are great for using the extra sauce.

I have to go with HashBrowns.
French fries are not shredded.

Not the same. I am not a table, despite us both having legs.

Have to like starting a Monday with a logical syllogism :LOL:, faulty as it may be.

I am fully in the Tot camp. They have more surface area so when cooked - fried or baked - there are more places to become crisp(ier) thus making them better.
I eat fries - but only when they are a side on an order wherever, I don't order them.

I am not sure I have anything insightful to add to the discussion other than I continue the quest to find a fried potato that I don’t like.

I am particularly found of the Totcho - a mashup of tater tots and nachos

Edit: and I have lived all over the U.S. not just the Midwest.
Baked potatoes and hashbrowns are the same ingredient too, but they're very different foods even though they're both potatoes cooked by heat.

Reactions: JB
Tater tots. Pfft. Originally they were made from left over taters. Maybe they're made differently now but back then they were the hot dog of taters.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back