TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si Putter Review Thread

Stupid question, but why do some of these have 36 on the bottom, and some have 72?

I believe the 72 is the single bend shaft and the 32 is the slant neck.

Using Tapatalk

Testing Review Update:
I would like to provide an update on the TaylorMade Spider Si from over the last week or so. While I've had time to put my thoughts on paper.

Grip:
The grip on the Spider Si has continued to impress me. The feel of the grip in my hands is very pleasing to me and somewhat different than the feeling I receive from my normal gamer (SuperStroke). The feel of the grip can be considered to feel almost velvety and soft, yet firm at the same time. This is compared to that almost plastic or laminate feel of the SS. IMO feel is very important in selection if the numerous grips provided these days. TaylorMade was able to select a grip that can tend to provide a feel that, for me did the trick.

At first I was curious as to how the width, weight, and length of the grip would affect my putting stroke. After my knowledge transfer session, which was provided by golffinff, on how to grip a CB all was well. The grip fits well on the pads of my fingers, while at the same time providing that feel of stability.

So far the durability of the grip has stood up to the various playing conditions it has been subjected to. (Humid, Wet, Dry, and Cold). After roughly 7 rounds and nearly as many if not more practice putting sessions appears practically brand new.

Performance:
Over the last several weeks I have seen my miss right become almost non-existent. I attribute this to the weight provided by the CB features and the ability for the putter face to be square on impact. Not only has my miss right disappeared, I am finding more tap in putts when a lag is necessary. My confidence level has increased, knowing I don't have to feel as if I am over hitting on longer putts. A flaw that was pointed on in my putting stroke, by Robman7, of jabbing at the ball is no more.

For those of you who feel you lack that pendulum putting stroke...definitely find a place to get the Spider Si into your hands.

StayTuned...

I'd be interested to hear more about your grip change for a CB putter. I have been using a jumbo grip for the last few years and the Spider Si's grip is much smaller.
I have been putting very well with it, but it still feels a little foreign in my hands due to the smaller diameter. I've been considering changing the grip to a Superstroke Slim Belly 17, but am concerned that might screw up the CB.
Opinions ?

Got 36 holes in today and the Si still impresses. First round ended up with 32 putts and 28 2nd round after the greens had dried out a bit. All that has been mentioned here remains true and no change of thoughts from was previously said. It's super stable, easy to align and just set's up so well. I've been using this putter exclusively since receiving it and am as confident as I've ever been on the greens.

Grip remains in good shape, no loss in feel or tackiness. Paint has no wear on the bottom or on the face.

Got 36 holes in today and the Si still impresses. First round ended up with 32 putts and 28 2nd round after the greens had dried out a bit. All that has been mentioned here remains true and no change of thoughts from was previously said. It's super stable, easy to align and just set's up so well. I've been using this putter exclusively since receiving it and am as confident as I've ever been on the greens.

Grip remains in good shape, no loss in feel or tackiness. Paint has no wear on the bottom or on the face.

You thinking this one will remain in the bag in the future?

I know for me, it's not going anywhere. I have been really impressed with this one from TM, and think that they have the Spider line on lock down with their past few releases.

I bought one of these bad boys brand new off of E-Bay for $100. I missed one on Thursday that sold for $86. If price is a factor, check the Bay!!!

I bought one of these bad boys brand new off of E-Bay for $100. I missed one on Thursday that sold for $86. If price is a factor, check the Bay!!!

Great find. I'm sure you will have good success with the SpiderSi

You thinking this one will remain in the bag in the future?

I know for me, it's not going anywhere. I have been really impressed with this one from TM, and think that they have the Spider line on lock down with their past few releases.

That's a good question and one I've been thinking about as some competitive rounds get closer this season. As part of the test I left the Spider Si in the trunk and brought out the counter balanced mFGP to compare it with.

Today I had 35 putts, but was consistently rolling it 4-6 feet past the hole, something I don't do with the Si. I also missed a few 6 footers that have become almost automatic with the Si.

In comparison, I still love the feel and sound of the milled face on the mFGP / Z3c. Nothing has come close to that feeling. That being said, the results... not just in stat's but on the green show me that the Spider Si should be in the bag now. The consistency and speed control on the Si paired with it's performance within 8 feet will cut strokes off my round.

As I was thinking about it today during my round; I compare to that sure I can hit some player's irons well at times and love the look of them but to put a good number on the card I need more help on my less than perfect swing. The Spider Si is the same way for me... there are others that feel better and look better to me, but when it comes down to getting the ball in the cup I don't know any that do it much better than this guy throughout the whole round.

Next round I play, the Spider will be back in the bag... and believe it will stay there. I'm sure I'll always want to dabble in others and am in no way ready to sell off the other putters in the collection, but when it comes to putting a good number on the card this will be the putter I grab.

I played 9 holes yesterday with the Ghost Spider Si in the bag (it's really nice just having one putter in there and a putter I trust at that).

I had 19 putts in total. Only one 3 jack. 4 putts burned the edge and should have fallen but didn't.

My reads were slightly off and on the 3 jack I total screwed up my first read and left a 10 ft putt as my second so definitely didn't make it easy.

The major point that I want to touch on though is putting from just off the green in the rough.

I haven't done that before with this putter but it was great. In the past I've had issues with my blades twisting open or getting caught.

The stroke was just as easy as if I was on the green and putting. Definitely my gamer for this year.

I played 9 holes yesterday with the Ghost Spider Si in the bag (it's really nice just having one putter in there and a putter I trust at that).

I had 19 putts in total. Only one 3 jack. 4 putts burned the edge and should have fallen but didn't.

My reads were slightly off and on the 3 jack I total screwed up my first read and left a 10 ft putt as my second so definitely didn't make it easy.

The major point that I want to touch on though is putting from just off the green in the rough.

I haven't done that before with this putter but it was great. In the past I've had issues with my blades twisting open or getting caught.

The stroke was just as easy as if I was on the green and putting. Definitely my gamer for this year.

How does 19 putts compare to your previous average?

How does 19 putts compare to your previous average?

Looking at my last year average I was around 40 putts per round.

This year my average would be 36-37 (my two extra rounds in LC I was 32-33 putting) so there is at least a 3 stroke improvement which I feel will get better with more practice time with the Ghost and just general game improvement for me as well.

I'll have to update you come July when my game should be peaking :)

Using Tapatalk

Another stellar day of putting yesterday at Circling Raven. 26 putts, 14 on front, 12 on the back.
The Spider Si really saved the round. (7 over - 79)
I was not making good contact on the ball with the approach shots on a windy day and really had to depend on the chipping and putting. This putter is not leaving may bag ANY time soon.

Had the Ghost Spider Si on the putting green yesterday.

I worked on putting from the fringe short range putts (practice green was busy because it's school vacation week here in MA, which means golf camps)

The weight and stability is great with this putter from the fringe. With my previous gamers I would have to get a good stroke on it to make sure I didn't leave it short (which did affect my accuracy). With this putter the stroke stays the same, nice and consistent. I also noticed with that my mishits of the toe didn't have significant distance lose and also didn't end up to far right of my line.

Short putts are becoming almost automatic, and I can't help but comment again on how great this putter sets up with the ball and helps with alignment. I love it.

I will have this on the course Saturday for 18 so more to come.

I received my putter today, still wrapped up in plastic. My camera batteries are dead, so no pics. I have always felt really confident with the Spider line of putters every time I practiced with one. The few putts I made on the carpet were very close to my intended line. The alignment aid on this family of putters is second to none IMO. I think it will take a little practice to get used to the True Roll insert. This is also my first counterbalanced putter as well. I will have elbow surgery on Friday, so I will not be able to practice for a couple weeks.

Had this back in the bag tonight for 9 holes; Seemore... I do love you but sorry to say the Spider will be in the bag for a while. This putter sure won't help me find the line, but does go where I'm aiming. Gone are the running it 6feet by the hole; those I missed were all left with tap in's. I'm getting more comfortable with longer puts and made 2 over 10ft today both for birdies. This club is becoming a sure fire way to drop a couple strokes per round the more confident I get with it. Just can't beat the forgiveness, alignment and balance of this putter.

Only bad thing I can say about it is the THP headcover's won't fit on it. :alien:

I got a chance to mess around with CJs this week, his was a bit short for me at 35", but I think a 38" version would be perfect for me, I loved the white/black contrast between the head, wings and alignment lines, it has a nice feel to it while holding it, but the insert for me was a bit different than what I was used to, I couldn't get comfortable with it, but it was a short test run, I'd love to try a TM CB in a blade!

Any updates fells?

I am working on putting some thoughts together Ryan, will have something shortly!

I had this one in the bag all weekend, and while I love this flatstick, I struggled with it. I was hitting a good bit of greens, but can only think of 1 or 2 big putts I made outside of 8 or so feet.

This has little to do with the putter, and more to do with the puttee. My goal is to spend some practice green time really working on my putting stroke and really fine tuning this one. My putting has to improve, and I believe I can get it done with the Spider Si.

It seems that we all struggled with this one today. I am in the same boat with War that I honestly love this putter.

My speed was just off today and felt I was just unable to control the counter balance swing today which effected my distance.

One thing I did notice today was on one shot where my ball ended up tucked next to the fringe, about 3 inches. On my backswing the putter caught that fringe and caused me to mishit the ball severely. That is definitely one thing I've never had to deal with. The width of the putter in those situations could end up posing a problem. But then again who aims for tucking the ball close to the fringe. :alien:

I played Tobacco Road in Sanford, NC on Saturday.

I had 30 total putts for the round (which is awesome for me) however, I shot a 90 I didn't have to many FIRs and GIRs so my short game was getting my putts in pretty close.

My longest putt I had was a 20 footer. Great lag putting though, no 3 jacks at all. WOOHOO! I had 3 one putts on each side a couple for pars and one birdie!

I struggled early though, we had the 7am tee time and we got there at 6:45 so I didn't get to spend anytime warming up and the first few holes I was getting used to the speed of the greens.

I love this putter, once I have a good feel of the greens, I do t have issues with distance control with this putter that I have with past gamers.

It really is a confidence booster knowing that I just need to have the right line and the putts will drop. Instead of three thoughts running through my mine it's just one "find the right Line"

Once again it's my gamer this season, not leaving my bag anytime soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you think being off with speed is due to weight, insert or something else?

Any updates fells?

I played Saturday and of course the Si was in the bag. Very windy conditions as well as rain and a hail storm made the round very trying.
The Si still did it's job very well. I did have one 3jack, but I can blame a lot of that one on the wind and rain.
Other than that hole, I had 4 one putt greens and the rest were 2 putts. The longest putt made of the day was just short of 20 feet.
I had 3 putts of over 30 feet and got 2 of them to within 3 feet, 1 of which was within a foot the 3rd was my lone 3jack.
The confidence standing over the ball with this putter continues to grow. This weekend is supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny.
It will be the first round or rounds with this putter in temps over 55 degrees so I am really looking forward to it.

I still wish I could figure out how to put a larger diameter grip on but not mess up the CB.

My recent thoughts on the TaylorMade Ghost Spider Si:

I have played 4 rounds that I would like to give a few details and results from.
I never have felt so confident over a putt as I do with this putter in my hands, especially with putts ranging 5' or less, I will share numbers later in this post, but I am extremely happy with the results.
I just feel I will make every putt 5' and in!

Over the last 4 rounds I have putted 35,34,35, and 32 putts.
I made 3 putts over 20'
I have made 7 putts of over 15'
5 foot putts or less I was 24 for 31 which has been fantastic!

Putting from the fringe and rough is a very pleasant surprise also! I can think of numerous times I was off the green and decided putting from the rough or fringe (Chutting) was a better option for me at the time only to be pleasantly surprised with the results, many times a 1 putt would result!
I only note that one may be careful on the back swing in the rough as the spider legs may tend to grab the grass.

While I noted that the spider legs grab grass while chutting, it has also been an issue while putting near the fringe while on the green, a few times I can remember interference during the back swing.

I have had to clean the grip with a gripe grip cleaner and the light dirt that accumulated on the grip came right off and looks new, after I cleaned the grip I decided to try it on the bottom of the putter, as I and others have noted that the sole collects a green tint, this comes right off with the wipe.

The counterbalance grip continues to be such a pleasant feature as well, the putting stroke seems effortless and almost automatic!

For those looking to try something different, or are in the market for a new putter give this flatstick a look, I venture to say you will not be disappointed!

If I or other testers can answer any questions for you please let us know!
Big thanks again to THP and TaylorMade for this awesome testing opportunity!

While I noted that the spider legs grab grass while chutting, it has also been an issue while putting near the fringe while on the green, a few times I can remember interference during the back swing.

I mentioned this as well. How was the end result of the putt? Short and right I would expect.

Do you think being off with speed is due to weight, insert or something else?

Usually for me it's because I just misread the speed of the putt. This putter is very forgiving off of mishits and the insert itself is great as well.

Using Tapatalk

Back