TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I played golf today with a guy that had just done a fitting at a local Southern California Club fitter that was offering free fittings on the M1. This is a high end fitter and I won't name names right now but he was telling me they fit him into the M1 with a Fujikura Pro 53 shaft and quoted him $499 for the Club and another $275 for the shaft for a whopping $800 price tag. I pulled out the iPhone and showed the guy that he can order the M1 with the Fuji Pro 53 with no up charge for the shaft so basically $499 plus tax for the exact club this fitter wanted to sell him for $800. I can tell you this guy was a little upset over that...

Now i I am assuming the Fuji Pro shaft they are selling him for $275 is the same one being offered by TM at no upcharge. Does anyone know this for sure? I also showed him where he could by the shaft for $175 brand new online...

I was amazed that the guy was looking at the M1 and had not done any research online. My guess is these guys are getting away with this, he told me the guy said they had sold 300 of the M1 drivers since they came out.

Buyer be ware!!!!!
I believe the fujikura pro is the standard issue shaft most people try. Beyond that they have a decent amount of no charge other upgraded shafts. I'd be pretty ticked off as well!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Played 12 holes today (left after 12 with a brutal sinus headache) before I left the m1 was money yet again. I was not swinging great but found all the fairways. This thing is so foregiving it should be illegal

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some good info, as fairway finder is what we all want.
Hope your sinus issues clear up quickly. Had the same issues today with allergies.

I played golf today with a guy that had just done a fitting at a local Southern California Club fitter that was offering free fittings on the M1. This is a high end fitter and I won't name names right now but he was telling me they fit him into the M1 with a Fujikura Pro 53 shaft and quoted him $499 for the Club and another $275 for the shaft for a whopping $800 price tag. I pulled out the iPhone and showed the guy that he can order the M1 with the Fuji Pro 53 with no up charge for the shaft so basically $499 plus tax for the exact club this fitter wanted to sell him for $800. I can tell you this guy was a little upset over that...

Now i I am assuming the Fuji Pro shaft they are selling him for $275 is the same one being offered by TM at no upcharge. Does anyone know this for sure? I also showed him where he could by the shaft for $175 brand new online...

I was amazed that the guy was looking at the M1 and had not done any research online. My guess is these guys are getting away with this, he told me the guy said they had sold 300 of the M1 drivers since they came out.

Buyer be ware!!!!!

While the promotions state Fuji Pro 53 is a stock free upgrade shaft, not all flexes are available for free. That tends to be the issue with some shafts that only are offered for free in certain flexes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played 12 holes today (left after 12 with a brutal sinus headache) before I left the m1 was money yet again. I was swinging great but found all the fairways. This thing is so foregiving it should be illegal
Did you get the shaft cut down yet? I would assume it would be even straighter with a shorter shaft.

It should still be a bomber even with a shorter shaft if Cace's M1 is any indication. His set up has the shortest driver shaft I've ever hit & you saw those results.

Did you get the shaft cut down yet? I would assume it would be even straighter with a shorter shaft.

It should still be a bomber even with a shorter shaft if Cace's M1 is any indication. His set up has the shortest driver shaft I've ever hit & you saw those results.
No I did not going to leave it stock as it is working so well

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Still can't stop thinking about how Cace's driver amazed me in my couple swings with it but I didn't pay a ton of attention to his setup. I know the weights were set back and to draw and it was a 460cc 9.5* head with a stiff flex Aldila Rouge. Felt light and smooth but was just a sledge hammer. So how much was it shortened? I'm almost afraid to have my wallet in the same room whenver i think about that beast.

While the promotions state Fuji Pro 53 is a stock free upgrade shaft, not all flexes are available for free. That tends to be the issue with some shafts that only are offered for free in certain flexes.

Doesn't seem to be the case, I was able to select the Fuji Pro 53 in any flex on the Taylormade web site with no upcharge. This is not the Pro series they have in the retail models it's the one with blue graphics.

Doesn't seem to be the case, I was able to select the Fuji Pro 53 in any flex on the Taylormade web site with no upcharge. This is not the Pro series they have in the retail models it's the one with blue graphics.

You are correct. Wonder if that person needed an X flex cause that's the only flex not included it appears.

You are correct. Wonder if that person needed an X flex cause that's the only flex not included it appears.

He needed a regular flex shaft. He is an older guy with a 90mph swing speed. They were just taking advantage I am sure they have done it before. Luckily enough he hadn't ordered the club yet he told me he would order it directly from TM once he discussed it with the fitter.

He needed a regular flex shaft. He is an older guy with a 90mph swing speed. They were just taking advantage I am sure they have done it before. Luckily enough he hadn't ordered the club yet he told me he would order it directly from TM once he discussed it with the fitter.

Glad you were able to help him out. Most of time I give the benefit of the doubt but this completely looks like they were taking trying to pad the order total.

He took and inch and a quarter off of him. Has it playing at 44 and a quarter inch

Still can't stop thinking about how Cace's driver amazed me in my couple swings with it but I didn't pay a ton of attention to his setup. I know the weights were set back and to draw and it was a 460cc 9.5* head with a stiff flex Aldila Rouge. Felt light and smooth but was just a sledge hammer. So how much was it shortened? I'm almost afraid to have my wallet in the same room whenver i think about that beast.

This is going on already...

Is this legal to change the weighting like this? Would this be approved by USGA as they probably didn't test the club performance in this setting.

Is this legal to change the weighting like this? Would this be approved by USGA as they probably didn't test the club performance in this setting.

I'm going to say yes because this past weekend Kisner had an extra weight in his GBB during the tournament. Different club, same premise.

I'm going to say yes because this past weekend Kisner had an extra weight in his GBB during the tournament. Different club, same premise.

I would agree, it's really no different than adding lead tape. Not creating any thru holes in the club or anything like that.

I'd say it's legal also, it shouldn't make the face any hotter or make it more cc's. It's just changing the bias even more on the head.

Hit 10 of 12 fairways with the M1 yesterday. Hit some ugly toe shots that didn't lose nearly as much distance as I would have thought. One fairway I missed was slightly pulled and the other was slightly pushed. Just high bombs all day. Absolutely in love with this driver.

A great question. I remember the weight latch from the SLDR falling off and getting Howell DQed but it's a different in this case because the DQ was regarding the latch itself, not the weight.

Callaway has submitted the "Animal Style" setup Kisner has for USGA approval. If TM hasn't submitted this configuration I doubt it's legal.

Callaway has submitted the "Animal Style" setup Kisner has for USGA approval. If TM hasn't submitted this configuration I doubt it's legal.

I imagine O'Toole will have TM submit it for approval if she plans to use it in competition.

What determines the legality of these modifications? What are they looking for?

Could you legally add a 3rd weight to the R15 track?

Let the games begin.

Testing 4 heads with three different shafts.

SLDR 430 12*
SLDR 460 10.5*
R15 430 12*
M1 460 9.5*

9e2951fc77ccc2b004343460e1d1d762.jpg

Loft settings of 10.0, 10.25, 10.5, 11.0, 11.25, 11.5

With the plan of listing results at no greater than 0.25* of difference between the four heads for each bracket.

6b09d2a53e0371ddd7c4fae4cdd8f5c8.jpg

f0130a28a3d5e73a2b32a33c90cd473c.jpg

70809dca1613c91bba2e22343ea8537c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shafts.
Fujikura Motore Speeder TP 7.3 TS Stiff
Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Aldila VooDoo XVS 7 X-Stiff

All 45.5 inches

Average Joe 12 Hcp.

SS 100-105 mph

Just really curious to see which if any out shines the rest.

Longest drives.

Most forgiving.

Best combination etc.

If it's the Indian? I'll take the blame

If there's anything to the hype the numbers would tell the truth.

If one is better than the other but only on the range I willing to put my money where my heart is.

I'm betting on the M1.

But the trials are officially launched.

May the best man. I mean club win.

Prior to now the SLDR has been my longest and lest forgiving.

Back