TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

I had a chance to hit my buddies M5 today and it felt really good. I didn't see any numbers with it but the sound and feel are really good. It sets up nice behind the ball also.

Another golf forum is reporting a significant 'design flaw' with these drivers that is causing these heads to 'crack' very early on.

Apparently this is occurring soon after purchase, so it doesn't take much use before new owners notice that 'cracks' appearing on their 'still new' M5/M6 clubheads.

According to what I read in the other forum, TM is supposedly now hard at work in a desperate move to get a 'Version 2 of the M5/M6 Driver' out now. The early V2 production will be for 'warranty replacement issues', (those users who have reported this cracking problem to TM). Once V2 production volume is 'up to speed', TM will then replace all existing M5/M6 Driver inventory currently being offered by it's Authorized Retailers.

If what I read on the other forum is true, then it seems to me the M5/M6 is a very 'risky' purchase right now...at least until TM is able to get the M5/M6 'Version 2' replacements out to replace all the flawed heads!

Last edited:
DJ obviously with the W as mentioned a few posts earlier but Haotong Li also with a M5 or M6 driver with his runner up finish including a sick Eagle on Saturday driving the green.

DJ put the M6 in play and won the first time out. Between this, F9 and Flash it seems like a winning party as of late.
I think Jason day also went with the m6 over the m5

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hHearing now of a significant 'design flaw' with these drivers that is causing these heads to 'crack' early on.

Apparently this is occurring soon after purchase, so it doesn't take much use before new owners notice that 'cracks' are appearing on 'still new' M5/M6 clubheads.

TM is supposedly now very 'hard at work' trying to get a 'Version 2' ready and out the door which will initially be the 'warranty replacement driver', and once manufacuring volume is sufficiently 'ramped up', the 'V2' will then replace all the 'flawed' M5/M6 Driver inventory that is currently for sale in Retail Stores

Seems to me the M5/M6 is a very 'risky' purchase right now...at least until TM is able to get the M5/M6 'Version 2' replacements out!

wait for the C version?

hHearing now of a significant 'design flaw' with these drivers that is causing these heads to 'crack' early on.

Apparently this is occurring soon after purchase, so it doesn't take much use before new owners notice that 'cracks' are appearing on 'still new' M5/M6 clubheads.

TM is supposedly now very 'hard at work' trying to get a 'Version 2' ready and out the door which will initially be the 'warranty replacement driver', and once manufacuring volume is sufficiently 'ramped up', the 'V2' will then replace all the 'flawed' M5/M6 Driver inventory that is currently for sale in Retail Stores

Seems to me the M5/M6 is a very 'risky' purchase right now...at least until TM is able to get the M5/M6 'Version 2' replacements out!

Needs more ‘quotes’ in this.

Hehe

Interesting. The one I’ve seen cracked, clearly wasn’t from a tee. Someone beat the **** out of it and then said it was from a tee.

Maybe @JB can reach out for the real dirt on this?

You, in love with a smaller cc head? I’m shocked. :alien:

The crowns are so clean. I prefer the F9, but the TM this year might be #3 for me on the heap of drivers for address looks, and that’s pretty damn good.

No alien needed, it's been a reality for a loooong time.

I think about this driver just about every day. 168.5mph ball speed (and climbing). I'm up for that challenge.

No alien needed, it's been a reality for a loooong time.

I think about this driver just about every day. 168.5mph ball speed (and climbing). I'm up for that challenge.

People are touchy, gotta use aliens as much as possible

Got my M5 in, but didn’t get a chance to try it out as we got tons of rain(in Cali? Impossible right?) Off on Friday and plan to put it through the paces. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my M5 in, but didn’t get a chance to try it out as we got tons of rain(in Cali? Impossible right?) Off on Friday and plan to put it through the paces. Can’t wait.

No more Titleist?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The TS2 is in timeout. Still using the 3 wood. I’m a club ho and never satisfied.

Needs more ‘quotes’ in this.

Hehe

Interesting. The one I’ve seen cracked, clearly wasn’t from a tee. Someone beat the **** out of it and then said it was from a tee.

Maybe @JB can reach out for the real dirt on this?
Other reports across the interwebs are seeing demo after demo show this issue. The one demo I saw had chips in this area. It would seem to be more than a one off scenario.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oh the interwebs sure are an interesting place for news. I have reached out to Taylormade for official info.

In the meantime I reached out to one of the largest golf retailers and was told they had a single issue (they have LOTS of stores).

When I get a response from TaylorMade, I will post it here.

Oh the interwebs sure are an interesting place for news. I have reached out to Taylormade for official info.

In the meantime I reached out to one of the largest golf retailers and was told they had a single issue (they have LOTS of stores).

When I get a response from TaylorMade, I will post it here.

Indeed it is. I am interested in hearing what TM has to say about it.

Another golf forum is reporting a significant 'design flaw' with these drivers that is causing these heads to 'crack' very early on.

Apparently this is occurring soon after purchase, so it doesn't take much use before new owners notice that 'cracks' appearing on their 'still new' M5/M6 clubheads.

According to what I read in the other forum, TM is supposedly now hard at work in a desperate move to get a 'Version 2 of the M5/M6 Driver' out now. The early V2 production will be for 'warranty replacement issues', (those users who have reported this cracking problem to TM). Once V2 production volume is 'up to speed', TM will then replace all existing M5/M6 Driver inventory currently being offered by it's Authorized Retailers.

If what I read on the other forum is true, then it seems to me the M5/M6 is a very 'risky' purchase right now...at least until TM is able to get the M5/M6 'Version 2' replacements out to replace all the flawed heads!

Don't look for any kind of 'acknowledgement' from TM anytime soon. If the worst case scenario turns out to be true here, then TM wil need more time to get it all sorted out. They need to figure out the best way to handle it, which could turn out to be a very expensive 'exchange' campaign. If TM even responds at all right now, it would likely be a denial of any 'statistically significant' issues with the M5/M6 Drivers. However, TM's response to the matter may change over time as more reports of M5/M6 carbon fiber cracking get reported as warranty claims.

If TM were to decide the best option is a 'Version 2 exchange program', then launching such a campaign along with a 'new and improved' M5/M6 driver introduction, would take considerable time and effort. Keep in mind also, this would not be something TM is budgeted for.

If this turns out to anything other than just a 'temporary bad batch' due to an 'early production manufacturing glitch', the potential damage to the company both in dollars and reputation could be catastrophic, and difficult for TM to swallow. One would therefore expect TM to spend whatever time is necessary to evaluate all available options for dealing with this matter.

There are pics of this 'cracking issue' at the website shown below. Click to view.

TaylorMade M5 cracking already --- - WRX Club Techs - GolfWRX

Last edited:
M5

M5

Don't look for any kind of 'acknowledgement' from TM anytime soon. If the worst case scenario turns out to be true here, then TM wil need more time to get it all sorted out. They need to figure out the best way to handle it, which could turn out to be a very expensive 'exchange' campaign. If TM even responds at all right now, it would likely be a denial of any 'statistically significant' issues with the M5/M6 Drivers. However, TM's response to the matter may change over time as more reports of M5/M6 carbon fiber cracking get reported as warranty claims.

If TM were to decide the best option is a 'Version 2 exchange program', then launching such a campaign along with a 'new and improved' M5/M6 driver introduction, would take considerable time and effort. Keep in mind also, this would not be something TM is budgeted for.

If this turns out to anything other than just a 'temporary bad batch' due to an 'early production manufacturing glitch', the potential damage to the company both in dollars and reputation could be catastrophic, and difficult for TM to swallow. One would therefore expect TM to spend whatever time is necessary to evaluate all available options for dealing with this matter.

TaylorMade M5 cracking already --- - WRX Club Techs - GolfWRX

Almost as catastrophic when Taylormade lost so much business when they discontinued the SLDR-C.

TM added more carbon fiber for the 2019 models and virtually all of it in the sole.

That appears to be the key reason for more incidents of cracking now with the M5/M6 verses previous M-Series Drivers.

There is no question that the use of carbon fiber in TM driver clubheads has led to more head 'cracking' than we previously were seeing with TM's older (Titanium) clubheads.

Whether there are any discernible differences in distance, accuracy, sound, feel or any other measurement of performance is another question entirely, but I personally haven't seen any 'evidence' in testing drivers made from both materials that makes me believe that a TM Driver clubhead constructed partially of carbon fiber has any 'advantages' over one that is made entirely of titanium. (YMMV may apply here).

That said, I do know which one is more likely to 'crack' and become unusable!

Last edited:
I got a chance to hit the M5 at Golfers Warehouse yesterday and have some fun numbers. Granted these aren’t the most accurate launch monitors, but it did provide some good insight.

I hit the regular M5 with Hazardous Smoke 70x shaft at 9 degrees. The first set of numbers has both weights up front and the second set has one up front and one out on the toe.

78a9bf1453acb0d56a662f03d4d4f568.jpg

I really liked the flight with both weights up front, but have a tendency to hook the ball so I tried the weight out on the toe as well. That made the spin jump a bit so I’m thinking the tour head might give me the best combo of low spin and more fade bias that I’m looking for.

The length of time to prototype a version 2 and get it ready for production will take months at best. If this comes down to needing a fix it's not going to be quick.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

if anyone is wondering without finding pictures, it's the carbon overhang where the track and speed slot meet

I think these look much better than the M3/M4.

Back