TaylorMade M5 and M6 Irons

Really a lack of buzz around these irons, and I'm a little surprised. I thought the M4 irons were very solid for the demo they were targeted for. For me though the M1/M3 and now M5 are the irons that seem to get missed because of the 790's.

I haven't even seen the things to hit them yet. Would like to though, just because I believe TM has been killing it in irons.

I hit the m6 last weekend. Not a bad looking iron from the top but didn’t perform well. I’m a mid-high handicap so take that into consideration. My dad got a full fitting after me and the M6 was the first to get put back as well. For us they just didn’t fit us.

I hit the m6 last weekend. Not a bad looking iron from the top but didn’t perform well. I’m a mid-high handicap so take that into consideration. My dad got a full fitting after me and the M6 was the first to get put back as well. For us they just didn’t fit us.

What didn't perform about them for you? How about your dad, what did he end up getting fit for?

They felt good with well struck balls but weren’t as forgiving as the other GI irons with miss hits. So consistency was off.

Hello - Any feedback on the M5s? How do they compare with the Rogue Pros?
Thank you

I’m wondering how these are being received. Doesn’t seem like a lot of buzz for a product that has a decent tech story.

Is it the look? The amount of choices?

I’m wondering how these are being received. Doesn’t seem like a lot of buzz for a product that has a decent tech story.

I think they kinda got lost between the Apex and F9s for the GI line and for those leaning more towards a players profile the 585s and hot metal pros.

I also think the m5s are competing a bit against the p790s.

Lastly, I feel like I haven't seen as much marketing for these irons this year compared to the m1/m2 a few years ago.

For me, these have been lost among the other ORM offerings. Honestly, I really don’t think TM when I think about irons. I know the tech is first rate and I’m probably overlooking these a bit but only so many hours in a day.

I’m still in full ponder with a couple OEM irons but plan to pull the trigger in a couple weeks ... maybe I’ll take a hard look in comparison with other OEMs I’m considering.
Thanks!

New to the site, but thought I'd chime in here since I recently was fitted and ordered a set of the M6 irons.

When I went in to a local golf studio to get fitted, I was open to any of the GI irons on the market, as my game was kind of lacking consistency since I wasn't able to play as much as I would have liked over the last few years. I spent most of my time trying out the M6, JPX 919 hot metal, and the G410 irons, and found for my swing, the M6 seemed to be the most consistent. We were testing 7 irons, and the M6 was getting about 10 yards extra carry over the others. If I remember correctly, the carry was a touch over 170 for the M6, whereas the others were right around 160. I know the lofts are slightly lower on the M6 irons, but I was getting very close launch/descent angles and spin numbers for all 3 irons, so I wasn't concerned with that. I believe the stock model M6's might be .5 inch longer than other irons, but I wasn't using stock shafts so I think all the 7 irons tested were the same length. The M6 also seemed to be staying the straightest on my mishits, even with the extra distance.

I ended up ordering them in 5-PW with Project X 6.0 shafts, and while I've only hit them outdoors once due to weather, I thought they felt great so far.

I’m guessing we will have quite a bit of feedback soon. 20 THPers. That was fun today.

TaylorMade M5 and M6 Irons

I’m pretty pumped to have this opportunity. I’m proactively looking at changing up my irons (again) so between test irons for the M5, M6 and the BH demos I have an opportunity to narrow what profiles work and which don’t for my game.

I do think there are a couple factors that have played against the hype - TM cutting down on its staff is a factor imo, with Titleist and Callaway dominating driver counts. That may have had a trickle down adverse effect on interest in the brand as a whole. Also, I’m not sure the speed bridge is a compelling technology despite its potential benefits.

Curious to see how they perform vs prior iterations too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am excited to get the opportunity to try these out. I love trying out new equipment and will give my honest opinions and feedback once they come in.

Looking forward to testing out both the M5 and the M6. It’s going to be fun for sure

Looking forward to taking both for a spin. I’m in the market for new irons so this was good timing.

I'm looking forward to the reviews. Been curious about the Taylormade brand in general for quite some time.

Sadly I just missed the opportunity yesterday...

Hello any feedback on the M5s?
Looking at these with Tensei or Atmos shafts
Thank you

A few weeks back a few of us lucky THPers were selected to be testers of the M5 and M6 irons. Today I received the 7 iron from each line. Here are a few side by sides, along with my current gamer, Mizuno JPX900 Forged.

Initial impression - the M5 is calling me. The top line is thicker than JPX900, but not a distraction. Seems like it will be easy to hit.

I will have these on the range this weekend, and at the TaylorMade event next week. Let me know if you have any questions.
(No comments on my handwriting please)
b009fcb0ce712a5deb892dae6db32114.jpg
de96076850cf09c30ec515fb1d55f1e5.jpg
eaa7e94aa629254eb57efff5d179eab7.jpg
3ae0d5ce38d30b32a4730feca6664ab3.jpg

I was just about to make this comment BriMac. My wife just sent me a message, that there are 2 Taylormade boxes that arrived today. Just in time for my round tomorrow morning!

I was just about to make this comment BriMac. My wife just sent me a message, that there are 2 Taylormade boxes that arrived today. Just in time for my round tomorrow morning!

Mine arrived today, too.

I’m down for a week or so but will take the M5 out soon and get a review of it together. I was fit into the M6 shortly after being selected for this test and will have something up on it in the next couple of days.

Love the looks of the M5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Received my demo 7 irons of the M5 and M6
Here’s a photo of my from left to right Edel, M5, and M6.
ee5a79b9839092e2337711c2da8b8e7d.jpg

M5 is definitely better looking to my eye
dee2a5ba518bf80c1aa17c02052c3ec8.jpg

M6 has a thicker top line and a little more offset.
f9a8acedb243a0694b6a113c436818fa.jpg

Shaft in the M5 is XP100 S300 and in M6 KBS Max 95S. I don’t have any experience with either shaft so we will see. I recently picked up a Garmin Approach G80 so I will get some numbers on these with the launch monitor feature and see what these babies got. Thanks THP & Taylormade for the chance to review these.

Got home from work and mine were on the porch. I honestly forgot about signing up for them. Hit a couple balls with each in the backyard. I couldn’t tell distance or ball flight because I run out of flat ground after about 40yds. I definitely prefer the sound and feel of the M5. The XP100 feels better than the KBS Max, IMO. I like the GP grip on the M5 better than the Lamkin on the M6 also. I should get to the range tomorrow and course Sunday. If so I’ll share some more thoughts on them.

Got home from work and mine were on the porch. I honestly forgot about signing up for them. Hit a couple balls with each in the backyard. I couldn’t tell distance or ball flight because I run out of flat ground after about 40yds. I definitely prefer the sound and feel of the M5. The XP100 feels better than the KBS Max, IMO. I like the GP grip on the M5 better than the Lamkin on the M6 also. I should get to the range tomorrow and course Sunday. If so I’ll share some more thoughts on them.

Yeah the grip on the M6 screams cheap. Like the GP Tour Velvet on the M5.

THP Forum Testing: M5/M6 Irons

THP Forum Testing: M5/M6 Irons

These showed up today and didn’t see a thread started yet. (Feel free to re-title or move this if need be)

Just unpacked everything and wanted to throw up some initial pictures.

9d719e577fe344bb3c9936b7056cd849.jpg

2067272e3d43c6c3a3d39b097a4cb014.jpg

M5:
9b96d3e934cdeb0c90041437ec7be1cc.jpg

M6:
64e50c885f9fbb7ae3d181088a86dae0.jpg

Already notice a difference in the face. The M5 is brushed on the edges while the M6 is a traditional chrome/polished look.

734dc2747c63239874baac1eb90263d1.jpg

Good to see these are starting to show up. I received notice that mine shipped today and should be here next week. Looking forward to testing these and providing any information I can to help others here.

Back