TaylorMade M5 and M6 Irons

Love the sound of all the tech involved in these models. From a looks perspective, I would definitely gravitate towards the M5.

I can’t think of a specific example but I feel like we’ve seen irons before where the base is connected to the top line. Is there actual tech in this one that makes it different than the rest and legitimizes the speed bridge name? Edit: or am I wrong in thinking this has been done before?

Could not find anything but the slingshots that went heel to toe. But I’ve still got this visual in my head of an iron with what looks like a wildlife bridge going top to bottom. Really wide. And yellow lettering. Hmmm.

Im honestly not sure. In speaking with them, they feel pretty strongly about the bridge and how it allows the rest of the club to work. Hollow body for instance, has a complete back that is together with a hollow interior, so my gut tells me there are some parallels there, but not with the same cut through that is in place here. If that makes any sense at all.

Does this serve the same (relative) purpose that the EXO cage does on some of Callaway's irons? A little apples to oranges as that structure is closer to the face, I think. I don't mind how the speed bridge looks and if it does provide some of what a hollow body iron does with a more traditional sound that seems like a win to me.

Liking the looks of the M5, will have to try these out at some point.

Does this serve the same (relative) purpose that the EXO cage does on some of Callaway's irons? A little apples to oranges as that structure is closer to the face, I think. I don't mind how the speed bridge looks and if it does provide some of what a hollow body iron does with a more traditional sound that seems like a win to me.

Thats a good question and honestly don't have an answer for you. They really do different things, although the cage would also provide stability.

Great preview and discussion.

With a name like Hybrar, it had better be good.

As a confirmed M4 fan, their best features for me have been the combination of outstanding forgiveness and strong, excellent feedback that is not harsh. I wasn't able to play a lot last year, and my scores showed it, but iron play was not an issue for me. I believe the M4 feedback has actually improved my ballstriking. So I'd be really interested in how testers regard the quality of the M6 feedback given the vibration-reducing changes they've made.

I'd love to see whether the variable face thickness actually reduces flyers. For example, I'm pretty consistently 145-ish with my 8 iron, but last week I hit one 178. It rarely happens, but those flyers are a little unnerving.

The M4s were the first TM irons that ever agreed with me from the get-go. It will be fun to read the early results on these.

I don't know why, but that speed bridge sticks out to me a lot, almost has the look of being brittle and I'd be worried it would break, I know that isn't the case, but almost seems too small.

Hard to tell from the pictures but on first look, the top lines of both M5/M6 look similar... is that the case? The offset of M6 looks somewhat significant but probably is same as other GI irons.... I’m intrigued by ICT and what it means for ball speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy the look of the M5 not so much the M6. Also wondering how strong that speed bridge will be and hold up.

Enjoy the look of the M5 not so much the M6. Also wondering how strong that speed bridge will be and hold up.

Its cast pretty well. I dont think too many will find issue. I wondered that myself with traveling and such, but I think they are good there.

take away that goofy bridge garbage (hey a built-in carry handle!) and they look very speedbladier

i do like what they're doing with the edge around the face and back

rip ribcor 2018-2018, we hardly knew ye

rip face slots

Function over form. Look horrendous, but I’m sure they do what they are intended to do.

Function over form. Look horrendous, but I’m sure they do what they are intended to do.

I love my M3s and MG wedges. So not a TM hater. But I would have to disagree. They have to come up with multiple sets of new irons every year. I would bet many times, for all companies, things are added just to have something new to market. How many gimmicks are here one year and gone the next?

take away that goofy bridge garbage (hey a built-in carry handle!)and they look very speedbladier

I was thinking RocketBladezier myself.

Could not find anything but the slingshots that went heel to toe. But I’ve still got this visual in my head of an iron with what looks like a wildlife bridge going top to bottom. Really wide. And yellow lettering. Hmmm.
https://www.thehackersparadise.com/adams-xtd-irons-preview/

DSCN4585-L.jpg

Good one! Not the ones in my mind, but I definitely think that counts.

I love my M3s and MG wedges. So not a TM hater. But I would have to disagree. They have to come up with multiple sets of new irons every year. I would bet many times, for all companies, things are added just to have something new to market. How many gimmicks are here one year and gone the next?

Yep, I would have to agree with that.

Slingshots for the win, 1st irons I bought new as a set.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Call that bridge what you want, it’s hideous. I’m sure it does what they want it to, but man those look horrible.
I was surprised that your comment was the first to question the design.....and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm a big fan of TM products and technology, but the "bridge" design is not appealling to me.

I like the concept of tying the top of the club to the bottom/body, but I thought we accomplished that with the RibCOR design last year....?

I'll be interested to see others comments and feedback regarding perfomance benefits, but the design looks gimmicky and a step back from the sweet line TM offered the last 2 years.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wonder if they will "woosh" like the sling shots did? I never heard it being hearing deprived but others around me did.
The tech might work real good, not my preference for looks but if it works it works.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Definitely a step back in the looks department from the P Series irons.

When you put these irons next to some of the clean looks they did last year it makes the family picture looked kind of weird.

Nobody gaming these yet?

Really a lack of buzz around these irons, and I'm a little surprised. I thought the M4 irons were very solid for the demo they were targeted for. For me though the M1/M3 and now M5 are the irons that seem to get missed because of the 790's.

Back