Taylormade Penta TP - Forum Review Thread

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
They arrived yesterday in the pretty presentation box that JB posted up. It really is as cool as it looks in the pictures. I got a couple of pictures of it last night, I’ll get some more this evening. There is a lot of subtle detail in it.

I took the Pentas out of the box, and my first impression of them was that they even feel soft. Rubbing two of them together, they’ve got a slight bit of friction. The ‘thumbnail test’ also reinforced that the Penta is indeed a very soft ball, leaving a subtle impression that healed itself in a few moments.

I rolled a few across the rug with my putter and then hit the sack (I didn't get home until 22:30 last night, had a side job)

This morning, I rolled out early and hit the putting green at Tenison Park on the way to the office Dallas, TX - Tenison Park Golf Club

I spent about 30 minutes on the putting green. I compared them to what I had in my bag and in my truck: Nike Ignite and Titleist Pro V1.

The Ignite is my everyday ball for now, and I've always found them to be an acceptable performer. The Pro V1's I use for practice (I found most of them in the weeds looking for my regular ball :D). In my testing experiment this morning, the Ignite was the control ball.

The practice green this morning was wet, and a bit slow, I waited a few minutes for the keeper to finish mowing. I was the first one out there. Every roll of the ball left a subtle trail in the moisture on the green.

Striking the Penta with my putter produces a very soft, even muffled sound and feel. It is very similar in sound to the V1 off the putter, and much more muted than my Ignite, which produces a very soft ‘ping’ sound. They roll and fall very well, and seem to be a bit livelier than the V1 off the putter. Here’s what I mean by ‘lively’: It seemed as though I didn’t have to hit them nearly as hard as the V1 to get them to the hole I was aiming toward. (Do they store and transfer energy more efficiently? Is it my imagination?) The Ignite took pretty well the same stroke as the Penta, but it’s a much firmer cover material, and I’ve grown used to playing them over the last 8 months.

I’m hoping to make it out to the course this afternoon for a few holes to put the Penta through the paces. Hopefully I can sneak out of the office at a reasonable time.

Last edited:
Since I play a groove-faced putter like you, how do you feel TM's Penta performs versus "harder" balls like the Ignite? Do you feel you get more topspin?

I was hoping to get mine yesterday since I play every Wednesday and wanted to test run them today, but nothing in sight yet. :confused2:

GB,
Were you able to chip with it yet? Or just putt?

Bonk - I didn't really notice any more or less skidding before roll, re-read what I put up there since I edited.

JB - This morning was just putting. I'll get back out this afternoon after work.

Awesome stuff GB. Look forward to hearing more.

I promised pictures, and here they are:

I was all pumped up yesterday to hit the course, and walk 9 holes or so. It was 104° yesterday afternoon when I left the office; I must admit that I’m a big fat quitter. I opted not to head out and walk in that sickening heat, so I instead headed home to hit the driving range / practice facility near my house.

I spent a couple of quality hours on the chipping green with the Penta’s, and I’m happy to report that they performed beautifully. They get moving and roll true on the bump-n-run (I sunk 10 or so over the course of the session) and check up nicely on high pitch shots from a little farther away. They stop pretty cold on short flop shots from tall rough as well.

So far, color me impressed.

I’m anxious to get them out on the course for some full swing testing.

We’ll see how things look this evening. Mrs. Gummi called me a little while ago, and told me that the power was out to ½ the house, shortly after that, a utility truck pulled up; apparently the whole darn neighborhood was affected. I’m on ‘standby’ to see if I need to hurry home and check things out, if they need any repair. She thought it was funny, that she had to wait for an electrician, rather than just call one and have work done in a few minutes (I’m glad she thinks it’s funny, it’s cutting into my golf time :D)

Bigleftyinaz- Penta Experience

Bigleftyinaz- Penta Experience

These balls arrived yesterday afternoon.Sadly I was working the late shift yesterday,then working the morning shift today.Not a whole lot of time to demo these.

Thanks to Taylormade Golf and THP for the opportunity to demo this balls.

My testing so far has been launch monitor only. Hoping to chip and putt tomorrow with it.

I wasn't paying attention to the feel of the ball,my bad.But,It didn't feel like a rock or a marshmallow.

60* lw - The Penta was spinning less for me by an avg of 500rpm's.Distance is the same. The bridgestone was producing on ave 7300 rpm's.I didn't notice any scuffs or shredding with the Penta which is a good thing.I would say this would be a durable ball,but on course testing will tell more.

32* 6 iron-Spin for the Penta was higher by an avg 140 rpm's. Distance is about the same. Avg spin with the Penta was 4354 Rpm's

22* hybrid- Spin is higher on the Penta again.By an Avg of 370 rpm's. Distance increased with the Penta by an avg of 8 yards.

10.5* Driver-This is where I was hoping the Penta would shine.Unfortunately this ball was spinning by 300-500 rpms more then the bridgestone b330.Distance decreased by 4 yards.

Ball speeds off the driver were lower on the Penta by about 4 MPH.Launch angle was higher with the Penta, 1* degree higher.

I will try the Driver with both balls of the monitor another day.The tee was a touch to high for my taste.I'd say by about 1/2.

Was comparing to the ball I've been playing for approx 2 yrs.The 08 Bridgestone B330. Initial experience is,I would continue playing my current ball due to numbers only.But, I'm looking forward to actually playing this ball for the real test. Spin was lacking with the Penta with the wedge and spun too much off the driver.
I was shocked to see the Penta spin less with the wedge.I would have thought this ball was going to spin much higher with the thinking this ball is designed for the new grooves.

That is very surprising BL. We tried both balls as well as the Pro V1 on the 17th hole of my course with 4 players all hitting their own 60* and it was not even close how much more bite and spin the Penta was having compared to everything else. I mean not even close.

The two low cappers (one a teaching pro and one a former mini tour player) both saw significant increases in distance like reported in our review.

That is very surprising BL. We tried both balls as well as the Pro V1 on the 17th hole of my course with 4 players all hitting their own 60* and it was not even close how much more bite and spin the Penta was having compared to everything else. I mean not even close.

The two low cappers (one a teaching pro and one a former mini tour player) both saw significant increases in distance like reported in our review.

I wasn't able to use my own monitor for the testing.I trust the Vector over the Zelocity anyday.

Unsure how valid these numbers are with this machine.That's why I'm looking forward to on course testing.

I agree with you about the vector. We have one coming our way for use in our future reviews. We all appreciate and look forward to your feedback from the on course testing.

You have definitely left me waiting for more Lefty!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of the Pentra....I'm an absolute addict to new balls!!

You have definitely left me waiting for more Lefty!!! I can't wait to hear what you think of the Pentra....I'm an absolute addict to new balls!!

Didn't mean to leave you hanging.

So tonight, I got out to play a few holes.

Sliced it something amazing right off the tee (par 5). Sliced it again with my 4 wood, missed the green by about a yard with my pitching wedge. Chip and 2 putt for a crowd-pleasing bogey.

Then it was off to the next hole (long par 4). Slight slice, managed to keep it a few yards off the fairway. Hybrid to about 70 yards. Chunked my first shot, then greened it with my lob wedge. 2 putt for a double.

Fast forward a few holes, I hit a piercing drive about 260 yards (pretty dang good for me) from an elevated tee box, just right of center of the fairway. Caught a 9 iron a little thin, but managed to leve the ball about 8' out for a birdie putt. Missed it, but tapped in for an easy par.

The next hole, I hit a good drive, in the first cut of rough. A hybrid gets me up the hill, and leaves me about 140 out. A smooth 8 iron, and I leave the ball 1 yard off the green, hole high. A chip and a putt for a bogey.

It takes me a few holes to warm up, then I start to actually play better.

My impressions - I hit 2 balls off the tee on most every hole. One was my Ignite, and the other the Penta. The distance travelled was prety similar, perhaps a bit longer with the Penta. Flight was good, medium trajectory.

I hit the Penta for my second shot on every hole. It flies very well, and seems reasonably forgiving for a tour caliber ball in the hands of a high handicap amateur. Out of the bunker, I played it pretty well (I kind of impressed me a bit on that one) it came right out, and rolled up to a few feet from the hole.

Putting was nice.

I did manage to lose one of the Penta balls. It simply wouldn't listen, I tried to warn it that there was water over there, and he couldn't swim, but didn't listen. It was a good death.

I haven't noticed any scoring on the ball from full wedge shots, it seems pretty durable so far.

I'll keep playing them as long as I can, and I'll keep reporting back on my results, as tragic as they may seem.

TM Penta ball test

TM Penta ball test

I received my 5 ball pack today and I will give them my first 9 hole test tomorrow. I work in the starter booth in the morning, so I'll be playing a bit after noon.

Here are a couple of pics to get started:

Interesting read -- looking forward to your report as well, fellow big southpaw.

Almost forgot about the pics

PentaTP001.jpg

PentaTP002.jpg

PentaTP003.jpg

PentaTP004.jpg

Nice review Gummi. I like the way you write - the paragraph of the first Penta death was funny.

Good luck Fourputt. We look forward to your results.

Good stuff GB. Can you compare spin on wedge shots or were you noticing more spin than usual?

I did manage to lose one of the Penta balls. It simply wouldn't listen, I tried to warn it that there was water over there, and he couldn't swim, but didn't listen. It was a good death.
I'm with the others, good read. :laughing:

Good job GB!

Back