TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

You think we can get a 2fer deal?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Probably not. But it's a pretty good deal for a brand new R1B

Probably not. But it's a pretty good deal for a brand new R1B

I agree. I almost bought one but chose to buy a travel bag and some other stuff

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Someone at the club bought an R1 TP and din't like the shaft.
Swapped him and I got a new 65 gram shaft for free!
Seem to be hitting it even longer now.
Working on some video.

Very nice!

Purchased an r1 black driver today and all i can say is wow! I have been using the amp cell for the last few months and was happy with its fairway finding capabilities but was lacking the distance i wanted. I bought the r1 at 3 p.m. this afternoon and at 5:30 p.m. i was on the course playing. I hit 6/7 fairways with an average distance increase of 25 yards. Hole 17 is a 420 yard uphill par 4, with the amp cell a good drive would leave me with 150 yds into the green, i smoked the r1 off the tee today and had 123 yds to a back pin position. That drive set me up for an easy pw that i stuck to a foot for a tap-in birdie. Seriously impressed with the performance so far.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

wow. Today while running the juniors camp, we all had a long drive contest, including my coach and myself. he has played the same driver over the last 8 years, because he hasn't been able to find anything better. i let him hit my orange beast and the only thing he could say was "holy crap. you sellin it?"

I ordered one of these off the bay the other day and hope it gets here quick. I was hitting the G25 great in a sim and need to see this perform on the course before buyers remorse sets in. I hate international shipping.

I ordered one of these off the bay the other day and hope it gets here quick. I was hitting the G25 great in a sim and need to see this perform on the course before buyers remorse sets in. I hate international shipping.

where's it shipping from?

It's coming from Massachusetts

I'm looking at getting a new driver. Is the forgiveness of the r1 on par with the more forgiving drivers out today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm looking at getting a new driver. Is the forgiveness of the r1 on par with the more forgiving drivers out today

i have been hearing that stage 2 is more forgiving than the R1. I can't really comment on it though.

Side question for people. Anyone ever change the 10 to a different lower weight, like a 2 or 6? And what were your results besides the lower swing weight?

Im really considering doing it. I'm hitting it well I just think that with a higher swing weight I'm leaving some mph on the shelf.

Define forgiveness.

If you mean shots not in the center of the face I think it is very good, particularly on toe hits. I have had many (unfortunately) shots where I missed the middle of the face and you can see the ball turn back toward the fairway. On some particularly ugly heel misses I have had distance loss but the ball is in the middle of the FW. On normal toe misses the ball turns right and finds the middle of the fairway, this miss with very little if any distance loss.

Another part of the 'forgiveness' equation is that you can tune the club to account for your natural swing flaws. I have mine set to 11.25 or 12* (which puts the club at 2-4* closed), weights to promote draw and I think 1* open. The driver is a FW finder. I played last week with rental clubs and grotesquely blocked everything right with the original RocketBallz driver and my friends' R11S. I definitely missed the adjustability of the R1.

I have owned and hit a bunch of stuff and this one is right at the top of the list.

i have been hearing that stage 2 is more forgiving than the R1. I can't really comment on it though.

Side question for people. Anyone ever change the 10 to a different lower weight, like a 2 or 6? And what were your results besides the lower swing weight?

Im really considering doing it. I'm hitting it well I just think that with a higher swing weight I'm leaving some mph on the shelf.

Interesting question. I don't know the answer. I wonder what would happen if you took the weights out...would that damage the club?

Interesting question. I don't know the answer. I wonder what would happen if you took the weights out...would that damage the club?

I don't think it would damage it...might change the sound. Would it be legal if you took them out and played? Man that just brought up some questions lol.

Im going to take the 10 out tomorrow and throw a 2 in. See what that does. Seems a little heavy to me. I know I'm losing some swing speed and that extra 1-2 mph will let me hit a little farther and I need that.

Hi Deck, I did have play around with changing the weights in a number of different ways. I had bunch of TM weights kicking about so tried different combos, lowering and increasing and all seemed to make the head feel strange at impact (difficult to describe) When I went back to the original set up of a 10g and 1g it performed way better, 10 in the heel and 1 in the toe for me.

I know the R1 is a particularly heavy head but even though I lost a few MPH in SS my overal distance is up due to the more optimum spin, launch and being able to play a higher loft. I have gained a few MPH back by switching the shaft to a Matrix RUL.

Hope this helps but it was only my findings and maybe different for you. Good luck with the experimenting!

The R1 is defo a fairway finder and long for me!!

Thank you for the insight into the forgiveness of the club. The r1 is definitely on my list of drivers to try

Well my R1 showed up today and I'm amazed at how fast delivery was 3balls golf was fantastic. This club was my third choice (good deals on eBay sucked me in) so I hope I can get this dialed in and see some great performance because it sure is one ugly club. My Masters head cover is going to be a great hat for it.

Going to try one of these today as me and my R11 have fallen out.........will post my thoughts later....

Well I headed to the range and tryed this and a Cobra Amp Cell driver. It was interesting......:what:so here's my take on this club.
Now I have read this whole thread so I aware that it has not been love at first sight with this club for some people and it has taken an effort to get the right settings. I hit my R11 first for a base line then the Amp which launched nicely with a good flight for me. Then the R1...I literally could not get a good strike on the ball...went back to the Amp Cell and boom good strikes. Pull out an iron hit a few and back to R1 ..finally a semi reasonable strike...nice flight ..straighter than the Cell but much lower....change the settings as according to the app and try again...all in all I spent about an hour hitting both drivers, the pro came and watched me as well.
The R1 is a lovely club and the graphics soon fade into the background. It is very low spinning, so much so that I really struggled to get a good high launch . Even when it was set to 12*.
I consistantly got a better launch with the Amp Cell set to 10.5*

The fact is for me I can't get enough out of this driver to make it worth my while spending the extra money on it. In fact the money I can save by purchasing the Cobra Amp Cell could be used for some more lessons which will probably benefit me more at this moment in time. Saying that I haven't pulled the trigger and got the Cell yet, there is a Nike Covert and a Callaway X hot that need to be hit before I make a final descision.
So to all the guys who put so much time into the testing thank you for all your hard work , you gave me a good idea what this club is capable of , unfortunately my hands are capable enough for this club :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I just got shipping on my black R1. I couldn't wait for another Taylormade driver in Black to come out and I cannot wait to put it in play! Will post updates when I get a chance to hit a few.

Going out tomorrow with my pop's to Pridis Greens and playing The Raven course for the R1's maiden voyage. I'm brining my Yonex with me just in case.

All right first day is in the books. My previous driver was a Yonex and it was perfectly balanced and the smoothest club I have ever hit. The only thing on the down side is I always felt like I was leaving some distance but it was a fairway finder. I have the stock R1 and found it to be very head heavy and cumbersome in comparison. I find with the stock shaft you can't go after one but have to think about keeping a very slow and smooth swing. This driver is long if your looking for distance this driver has it. I think with a different shaft I can find the consistency and balance I'm looking for and still send out bombs.

Well, the R1 gets two more tries. I hit a bunch of balls with my J40 and this the other day on the range. I'm thinking I wasted some money with the R1. So, hopefully a couple rounds of 9 to get them side-by-side to decide, but the way it looks now, the J40 is going back in the bag.

Sounds like somebody should be playing from the blues!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

That was from the blues :p

All right first day is in the books. My previous driver was a Yonex and it was perfectly balanced and the smoothest club I have ever hit. The only thing on the down side is I always felt like I was leaving some distance but it was a fairway finder. I have the stock R1 and found it to be very head heavy and cumbersome in comparison. I find with the stock shaft you can't go after one but have to think about keeping a very slow and smooth swing. This driver is long if your looking for distance this driver has it. I think with a different shaft I can find the consistency and balance I'm looking for and still send out bombs.

Isnt the stock shaft only 55g?

Back