TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Awesome man. I saw a great improvement moving to 44" after struggling for awhile at stock length. No seemingly loss in distance but much better dispersion.

I play all my clubs 1" over however i cut all my TM woods down 1/2" to get better control

Brianbigoats, I saw in another thread that you added cotton balls to the head to improve the sound. Can I asked how you did this as I would like to give it a go. I take it there are no side affects?
I gamed the R1 for ages but switched to the RFX just because I preferred the sound which I think affected my perceived feel on the R1. Would be great to have both in action so I could switch between them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianbigoats, I saw in another thread that you added cotton balls to the head to improve the sound. Can I asked how you did this as I would like to give it a go. I take it there are no side affects?
I gamed the R1 for ages but switched to the RFX just because I preferred the sound which I think affected my perceived feel on the R1. Would be great to have both in action so I could switch between them!

I add them through the weight port you pull them apart and push in the small peices with a screw driver i added 4 total conton balls 2 through each port

here is an old thread about it
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?34426-Filling-R11S-with-Cotton

There were no ill effects of adding cotton to the Driver there is a slight increace in weight but very minor swing weight stayed the same

I add them through the weight port you pull them apart and push in the small peices with a screw driver i added 4 total conton balls 2 through each port

here is an old thread about it
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?34426-Filling-R11S-with-Cotton

There were no ill effects of adding cotton to the Driver there is a slight increace in weight but very minor swing weight stayed the same

Thanks for tip I will give it a try this weekend. One reason I love THP is for knowledge like this! :)

Thanks for tip I will give it a try this weekend. One reason I love THP is for knowledge like this! :)

No Problem good luck on stuffing that R1 hope it works as well for you as it did for me

No Problem good luck on stuffing that R1 hope it works as well for you as it did for me

I will keep you posted on the outcome. I checked out the thread you gave the link to and Thainer added 11 cotton balls worth, how many did you add to your R1 or how many would you recommend?

I will keep you posted on the outcome. I checked out the thread you gave the link to and Thainer added 11 cotton balls worth, how many did you add to your R1 or how many would you recommend?

I only add 4 you can always add more but a pain to get them back out

I'm amazed at how many of these are hitting the market place as of late.

THP is a unique subset of golfers. We are far more inclined than average to jump to the next new thing. Some members are going to get a solid piece of gear on the cheap, others are going to finance their next purchase. Win, win.

THP is a unique subset of golfers. We are far more inclined than average to jump to the next new thing. Some members are going to get a solid piece of gear on the cheap, others are going to finance their next purchase. Win, win.

Oh I know that. I just think it's funny that so many came up at the same time. More of a comment about people wanting to have the new one ready to go when the season starts to kick off. Solid club for some no question about it and the price is more than reasonable.

Oh I know that. I just think it's funny that so many came up at the same time. More of a comment about people wanting to have the new one ready to go when the season starts to kick off. Solid club for some no question about it and the price is more than reasonable.

I just bought one for one of my friends off the marketplace Tuesday. Lots of great deals right now on these things.

There are some great deals out there as some people (me include ) chase newer tech

I had another great round with the R1 yesterday. It's going to be hard for me to give this thing up come July!

The R1 performed well for me in the Invitational yesterday.. hit some bombs and put myself in manageable second shot situations. I started getting lazy on the back and had few drives leak right on me which were costly, but overall I feel like I've got this thing pretty dialed in right now.

I still like my R1 a lot, the only thing I would change is the how loud it is (but im not stuffing cotton in it :act-up:) Used the driver 10 times yesterday, hit 7 fairways, the other 3 were just off in the first cut all with clear 2nd shots

Maybe it's because I have a slower swing speed, but I don't find the R1 to be loud at all. I've owned both the Cleveland HiBore XLS and the Mizuno MP560, now those were loud drivers!

TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Maybe it's because I have a slower swing speed, but I don't find the R1 to be loud at all. I've owned both the Cleveland HiBore XLS and the Mizuno MP560, now those were loud drivers!

I agree. It's not quiet, but I don't think it's louder than many drivers I hear out on the course or that I've gamed in the past. There are a few that are less noisy, but it's not something that bothers me. Even if it was, if it gives me plenty of distance and is fairly forgiving, I'll live with the noise.

I agree. It's not quiet, but I don't think it's louder than many drivers I hear out on the course or that I've gamed in the past. There are a few that are less noisy, but it's not something that bothers me. Even if it was, if it gives me plenty of distance and is fairly forgiving, I'll live with the noise.

I think they did a better job with the R1 than the r11s with the sound

Court is still out for me on the R1, haven't been able to get to the range and use it some more...may go back to my R9

I've read somewhere on this massive thread that some of you have the R1 with the Oban Kiyoshi white in it, do you guys still love it? I am really wanting to buy this shaft since it seems it is a smooth feeling stick, I've been taking lessons all this winter and my pro shortened my swing a lot so one concern for me would be if this shaft feels like it loads even with a short swing but slow tempo, my SS is right now about 100 MPH give or take 2-3 MPH, and like I said I'm on the slower tempo side.
Anyone with any of the other Oban shafts in your R1?

I should've mention that this would replace the stock R flex I have on my R1 now, and how do you compare the stock option with it.

Court is still out for me on the R1, haven't been able to get to the range and use it some more...may go back to my R9

Really??

Gonna give it a go tomorrow, anybody used the iphone tunning tool?, is it worth trying?

Gonna give it a go tomorrow, anybody used the iphone tunning tool?, is it worth trying?

I have used the app but found with all the options of changing the set up I was always chasing the perfect shot every time. I know a lot of guys love everything about this driver but I don't like a single thing about it.

Back