TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Did you cut your normal gamer shaft Cookie or did you put an adapter on something you can experiment with?

I'm going to pick up a shaft that I can cut down too. I love this driver but I'm thinking I could use even a little more accuracy. I have been thinking that a cut down lower launching shaft paired with a 12* setting could be the way to go.

Thats what I did with mine. I got the Fuel TS shaft for the low launch and got it set at 11.25*. It did real well on the simulator, but have to much snow to try on the course. I also cut it down to 44.5"

Really liking the TP shaft in this after getting some more time with it. Not much difference distance wise but dispersion for me is night and day better.

I have a stock shaft laying around if anyone is interested

I have a stock shaft laying around if anyone is interested

What flex? I currently have stiff, and wouldn't mind have a regular to compare it to.

Ahh stiff

Still love this club.... Fairway finder for me. Some good ones and some not so good haha

6ezymyru.jpg

Around this time last year, the R1 was in the bag and it was just flat out working for me.

Today, playing with GregK, he switched from his RFE to the R1 for the last 4 or 5 holes and continued to stripe it dead down the center of the fairway. Perhaps the best tee balls I have seen him hit. We talked about his setup with this one, and how it was beneficial to what he was doing off the tee.

Made a switch from the black tie to the red tie and I am hitting it when better. Just crazy that I have it set at 12. Ever since JB and you told me take it up it has been a totally different club.

Made a switch from the black tie to the red tie and I am hitting it when better. Just crazy that I have it set at 12. Ever since JB and you told me take it up it has been a totally different club.

Amazing what a little launch will do for ya, isn't it?

Embrace the loft.

Amazing what a little launch will do for ya, isn't it?

Embrace the loft.

Loft with right shaft is completely different from my last driver if people are looking at the higher loft they are nuts

Chopped this baby down to 44" and what a freaking difference.

1) I felt more confident, just like I had more control over the ball

2) misses weren't nearly as penal as before. Toe shots were still finding the fairway with an expected loss of distance

3) hit 5/8 FW's with driver and one of those misses was well struck but went through FW on dogleg left

Excited to have a bit of confidence in the bag again with driver and quite timely also!

2) misses weren't nearly as penal as before. Toe shots were still finding the fairway with an expected loss of distance

3) hit 5/8 FW's with driver and one of those misses was well struck but went through FW on dogleg left

Excited to have a bit of confidence in the bag again with driver and quite timely also!

I'm actually thinking about doing just that. Did you try other lengths first or did you know that was the right one for you from the start?

I'm actually thinking about doing just that. Did you try other lengths first or did you know that was the right one for you from the start?

I knew I needed to take off more than a little and it needed to be a fairly significant amount. So in all honesty I just kind of guessed and went with 44.

I knew I needed to take off more than a little and it needed to be a fairly significant amount. So in all honesty I just kind of guessed and went with 44.

Great, that is the tactic I plan on employing :)

I found myself really tweaking the setting today, I think I've finally got it dialed in, but I'm wondering if I want more head weight, right now it's got the 10 and 1, I'm thinking something like 12/14 and 4.

I haven't really messed with the settings on mine yet. I set it up to what I thought would work for me, but haven't gotten it to the range yet to really dial it in. That being said, I have been really pleased with the club so far, so I'm not sure how much tweaking I will be doing.

I still can't believe I'm hitting this thing at 12 degress loft and 3 degrees open. As long as I remember to do everything I'm supposed to, it goes long and straight. I've had a couple really good practice sessions with it this past week. Want to see if I can transfer it to the course tomorrow.

Hey Cookie - can you help me out here. I'm going to cut down my Aldila shaft and want to make sure I'm doing this right. Per the website the club plays to 45.5". So I'm thinking I just need to take 1.5" off the butt end of the shaft to get it to play to 44". Is that what you did?

Hey Cookie - can you help me out here. I'm going to cut down my Aldila shaft and want to make sure I'm doing this right. Per the website the club plays to 45.5". So I'm thinking I just need to take 1.5" off the butt end of the shaft to get it to play to 44". Is that what you did?

Yes sir, that's exactly what I did. Not sure how much it affected the SW but it wasn't enough to bother me.

Yes sir, that's exactly what I did. Not sure how much it affected the SW but it wasn't enough to bother me.
Thanks, Cookie. I cut it myself with the dremmel tool last night and regripped it. I hope to get it out on the course shortly.

An interesting thing happened today. I traded out shafts, putting in the recently cut down Aldila in place of the regulation length Fujikura. I also changed loft from 11.25* / Neutral to 12* / 2* open. I can't remember the last time I drove the ball so well. I think I missed one fairway with the driver, a shot I could feel I hit low and off the heel. It went just a little shorter than normal and about 10 feet right of the fairway. Another drive was a little more than a baby draw; everything else was dead high, straight and long. I played from the back tees and drove the ball well beyond my normal positions on this course. Hmmm.

An interesting thing happened today. I traded out shafts, putting in the recently cut down Aldila in place of the regulation length Fujikura. I also changed loft from 11.25* / Neutral to 12* / 2* open. I can't remember the last time I drove the ball so well. I think I missed one fairway with the driver, a shot I could feel I hit low and off the heel. It went just a little shorter than normal and about 10 feet right of the fairway. Another drive was a little more than a baby draw; everything else was dead high, straight and long. I played from the back tees and drove the ball well beyond my normal positions on this course. Hmmm.

Awesome man. I saw a great improvement moving to 44" after struggling for awhile at stock length. No seemingly loss in distance but much better dispersion.

Back