TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Just bought the 3W and played with it for the first time today, loved it, straighter and longer than the r9

Awesome! Happy you like it. How did it work for you off the deck?

I played 27 on Tuesday and 9 today. I'll have a write up tomorrow, but here's a teaser: carried a 240 yard par 4 with the 4 wood...

Tap before talk.

Just got back from a quick nine after work, and I am really struggling with the R11. I've been fighting it on the range and it carried over to the course tenfold. I don't blame the club entirely, but this may be the most unforgiving club I've hit in quite some time. I started with a reg flex Kai'li shaft, and have since gotten the Miyazaki Kusala Blue (stiff) cut to size and been playing with it. Neither shaft is giving me a lick of control. When hit well, the distance is very nice, but I'm hitting like 1 or 2 out of 10 well.

I've still got an R9 460 head in the garage that I think is going to come out to the range with me to see if it helps me out with some forgiveness. I'm also heading to a demo day on Saturday where I really want to hit the Superfast 2.0. I really like the white clubhead and all the adjustability (and maybe I've fit myself into a completely wrong combo of settings), but I find myself craving a R11 460 for some directional assistance.

I'm loving the R11 driver. Sometimes I hit it a little off, but not very often since I've switched to a cut down 43.5" shaft. To be honest I find that the R11 directional misses are very manageable. Not nearly as bad as my Supertri was. When I hit it outside the screws I find that the distance is what really seeps, not the direction.

That being said, I got to demo an M1 Mashie from a local shop for a whole week and I can say that the R11 3 wood is gone and the M1 should be here in a few days. The driver I love and the 3 wood I love some days, but consistency is the name of this game.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

I am really enjoying my R11 driver as well. Had a pretty good range session today, took about 20 swings with the driver, except for 1 which I sliced pretty bad, they were all about 260 yards out with about 10-15 yard side to side dispersion. I will take that any day.
I am getting more consistent with the driver now and feel very comfortable setting up over the ball. My weight kit is coming in a few weeks, so I am looking forward to playing around with some weight changes.

For those struggling, are you seeing the same type of miss or different misses? My miss is 8/10 (misses) a hook and when I set the ASP to open.. What a difference. Still can hook it but its much less. Not that its a miracle worker I'm just wondering if the settings might need some adjustments. I still am hoping THP Demo day will get that squared away for me though.

It could just be the club doesn't work as well. Wouldn't dispute that at all because my two rounds with it were horrid.

I played 18 today and this club has helped me feel more confident. I did have a few mishits but they were small fades rather that monster slices. Many of my shots are hitting the fairways and on the par 5's it is giving me a chance to get on the green in 2.

For those struggling, are you seeing the same type of miss or different misses? My miss is 8/10 (misses) a hook and when I set the ASP to open.. What a difference. Still can hook it but its much less. Not that its a miracle worker I'm just wondering if the settings might need some adjustments. I still am hoping THP Demo day will get that squared away for me though.

It could just be the club doesn't work as well. Wouldn't dispute that at all because my two rounds with it were horrid.

Brother I would settle for A miss in a heartbeat! Indian>Arrow in this case. Todays round was horrendous off the tee, I had a fade swing today but couldn't accept it. The single qualm I have with the R11 is anything up a little high on the face is dead.

Brother I would settle for A miss in a heartbeat! Indian>Arrow in this case. Todays round was horrendous off the tee, I had a fade swing today but couldn't accept it. The single qualm I have with the R11 is anything up a little high on the face is dead.

I will agree. I hit a higher ball up on the face and it went straight but died about 30 yards short. I also hit a ball low (almost below the face and the ball got up real high) and it was a big sky slice. Those shots were all user error.

I'm just trying to bring my spin down with mine right now. I'm at about 3500 RPMs. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are there any comparisons between the R9 Superdeep TP and the R11? I looked for a thread but didn't find anything. Anyone used both? I love my Superdeep but am curious about the R11.

I'm just trying to bring my spin down with mine right now. I'm at about 3500 RPMs. Anyone have any suggestions?

Lower the loft and look into possibly getting a different "lower spin" shaft. I couldn't hit the stock blur shaft and had to get a different one.

r11 4 wood

So, before these torrential rains found their way to NE Ohio, I was able to get out and golf like a madman for a couple of days (hence my absence). I've come to realize that I have two misses with the 4 wood - I either top it terribly or hit a push. If neither of these scenarios occur, well then the ball is long and straight (hopefully where I aimed.)

I had some of the best shots of my life this week, with this club, and I think a lot of it has to do with the confidence it places on my game. I was sitting on the teebox of a 247 yard par 4 (biggest birdie hole on the planet) and I teed up the 4 wood to get the ball up there, and leave myself chip onto the green. I hit it pure, and by pure I really mean it. The ball started on a mid trajectory and slowly ascended - wants it reached it's apex, it maintained the height and then landed surprisingly softly on the green. Yes, I carried that green with my 4 wood. The ball rolled out 10 yards and laid harmlessly on the back of the green.

Another shot that was good by my standards was 197 yards from the fairway. The fairway climbed uphill to the green, and with the wind us...we guessed it played around 225. I knew I couldn't get my hybrid there, so I pulled 4 wood and hoped for the best. I hit the ball as pure as the previous shot, and it soared up...and over the front of the green. The ball sat at the very back of the green, and I was thrilled to have found another GIR.

On to the bad shots. I find it very easy to come out of my swing with this club. It might be because I've felt the pureness of those shots and get eager to see where every ball is going, but it needs to be rectified. When I do top the ball, the club shows it isn't very forgiving to these mishits. I had 230 to the pin and ended up hitting from about 150 after roll out - so these are wasted strokes.

When I hit the push, it isn't a big deal...unless there are hazards to the right. I'm pretty sure I've figured the push out, but we will see once I can get back out on the course.

Overall, I still get excited every time I pull this club out of the bag. It's by far the most aesthetically pleasing club I own, and even though it lacks some forgiveness, it makes up for it in the confidence it puts on me. I do notice that the headcover is to big for the club (as Dent previously mentioned) but that is me nitpicking. Also, a lot of people have said they don't notice the white after a couple of swings, but I notice it every time that I hit this club - and honestly I love it. I love the pearl white crown compared to that of my Superfast 3 wood with the honeycomb pattern and red lines...this club is a looker, and for me, it performs as well or better than it looks.

I went to the R11 from a Superfast. I found the R11 a little less forgiving but more accurate. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the club and congrats on the purchase! Hope it treats you well!

So far I have only been out to the range with it once and didn't hit it much but when I did I noticed that the ball didn't balloon like it did with the Superfast so that alone for me is a big deal. I've always had I high spin rate with the driver 3000+ RPM so if the ball doesn't balloon for me anymore it should mean that I'm not loosing the distance that I have in recent years. I used to be able to carry the ball 280-290 yards with the Superquad TP that I had (proper fitting of the shaft and ball) until it broke. I got the feeling though that I will get the same sort of numbers with the R11 once I get a little more practice with it.

Hopefully the weather will get a little better here so I can get out to the range and then the course sometime this week.

I pulled out the R11 7 - wood today and the three times I used it were very inspiring. Most of the regulars on here know I am more of a hybrid man but today this club was solid, nice high ball flight with a slight fade. A slight fade is not exactly my signature shot shape. I was pleased with the performance to the point it might kick one of my hybrids to the curb. I can not over emphasize how well this little club would fit in most senior golfers or lady golfers bags. Heck it would work great for anyone who is a 7 - wood fan. If you are in the market for a 7 - wood, you need to put this on your consideration list.

edit: I also wanted to share this. Today I had the ASP on OPEN and the FCT on UPRIGHT. I kind of stumbled on to the upright fct setting and it seems to work well for me.

Last edited:
Just wondering.... what is the difference between the R11 and R11 Ti Fairway Woods?

What is the advantage of the Ti over the regular version and what, if any, negatives does the Ti carry?

I pulled out the R11 7 - wood today and the three times I used it were very inspiring. Most of the regulars on here know I am more of a hybrid man but today this club was solid, nice high ball flight with a slight fade. A slight fade is not exactly my signature shot shape. I was pleased with the performance to the point it might kick one of my hybrids to the curb. I can not over emphasize how well this little club would fit in most senior golfers or lady golfers bags. Heck it would work great for anyone who is a 7 - wood fan. If you are in the market for a 7 - wood, you need to put this on your consideration list.

edit: I also wanted to share this. Today I had the ASP on OPEN and the FCT on UPRIGHT. I kind of stumbled on to the upright fct setting and it seems to work well for me.

Quick question, do you play the 7 wood more like a hybrid with your swing? Compared to say swinging it like a 3-4 wood.

Quick question, do you play the 7 wood more like a hybrid with your swing? Compared to say swinging it like a 3-4 wood.

Mardin -- Yes in fact I do play it with more of a hybrid type swing. If you hit down and through with this 7 - wood it produces a beautiful ball flight. I have problems with a 3 - wood ( mostly in my head) and do better with the clubs that you can play like an iron. This 7 - wood works really well with the iron type strike.

Just wondering.... what is the difference between the R11 and R11 Ti Fairway Woods?

What is the advantage of the Ti over the regular version and what, if any, negatives does the Ti carry?

From what I can see on the Taylormade site the TI version has a slightly larger head and only a 3, 5 and 7 wood option available. The larger head should be a little more forgiving on off center hits because of the larger face size. As for the negatives the only thing I could think of would be the larger head could be harder to hit out of longer grass as there would be more grass grabbing the larger head which could cause it to twist more.

Well the Mitsubishi Diamana 'ahina 72 Stiff flex shaft and R11 shaft sleeve that I ordered for my R11 driver arrived tonight. I mounted the sleeve on the shaft and took it in to get a new grip put on it. I decided to try out the Iomic grips this time (white) as I usually use the Golf Pride Decade multicompound just to see what they are like. I can't wait to hit it and compare it to the Blur TP shaft that the driver came with. The only problem is my next couple of nights are busy so I probably won't be able to get out to the range until Thursday. The wait will be killing me. :banghead:

From what I can see on the Taylormade site the TI version has a slightly larger head and only a 3, 5 and 7 wood option available. The larger head should be a little more forgiving on off center hits because of the larger face size. As for the negatives the only thing I could think of would be the larger head could be harder to hit out of longer grass as there would be more grass grabbing the larger head which could cause it to twist more.

Hi folks
I hit the ti today. I liked it, but my steel face sounds better and I like it. The ti is larger and more forgiving. I had one tapped and could see the ball marks on the face. 1 heel shot, about 190ish. Topped one that I didn't even kooky at. Next one was a little off centre toward toe got me around 220 ish. Dead centre was 240ish. When hit well it is straight. Face is hot. It is pretty deadly. I would still save 60 bones and get the non ti

I had a great driving day with the R11 on Sunday. I did manage to hook two but they snap hooks and lost one because it rolled really far into the water. I also had one push. I don't really consider the push that bad because I put a swing on it just didn't close the clubface.

When I'm on I don't feel this driver is any sort of issue. But the day I had off was brutal. I can't get over how much I love the sound of this club and how much that instant feedback I get from hitting the face has done for me. With the white head I still can't believe this isn't a 460cc head. This is definitely one of those drivers that will work for some but it's not for everyone from what i'm seeing. I was talking to one of the workers at the clubhouse and he was mentioned his buddy having the hardest time adjusting to the club.

Well I really want to hit the Ti 3 Wood now. I am planning on using my new 3 wood off the tee or fairway. It won't be used in the rough. I have a 1 hybrid for that. I've always struggled off the tee, but hopefully my new driver helps. However, I would love to have a confident 3 wood in the bag that I could always turn to if needed.

If the Ti is more forgiving and will get me more distance then great. However, I love the feel and sound of the non-ti. We'll see.

My last couple of rounds with the R11 have been brutal, turns out it was the Indian. I am working hard on finding my driver swing again. I hope it comesback soon

As mentioned above the Ti has a larger face, but it's also a titanium face thus allowing for potential greater distances due to an increase in the trampoline effect (however said distance gain can be erratic).

Back