TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

Probably going to get two rounds in this weekend, heading down for the impromptu Florida THP gathering. We'll see what kind of new thoughts, if any, I have on these. I need to work more with the AW and dial it in. Heritage Harbor on Saturday and Waterlefe on Sunday.

T4K great write up (as usual) I am seeing many of the same things in my testing as well when it comes to substantiating TM's marketing claims. I will be heading out this weekend and will have a full write up.

Keep up the good work!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

I doubt anyone will ever get this close to my clubs to notice the imperfections (probably about 4 inches away with the naked eye), but still wanted to post for those curious. You can even see some yellow I apparently missed. No matter how hard and close I look, I can't see it with the naked eye. I might try to clean them up a bit more after seeing these super zoom pics I took!

7esa3ara.jpg

tuju4uve.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

That looks pretty nice.

Might need to try out some Acetone.

Great looking pics j!

I got some much needed range time (albiet indoor golf dome range) this week. The feel at impact with these babies is just addicting. I could not get over it. The turf at this range provides very little resistance at all so it's like the feel of your club is magnified and it was just solid contact one shot after another. I didn't really even work on anything, just wanted to hit balls again as it had been a while. It felt great to bang some balls with these irons again. I still absolutely love the 4i!!

jlukes, that is a truly amazing finish you made the RocketBladez look like, it's like an entirely different set of irons.

Well I finally received mine yesterday, custom fitted through my cousin. Went for the Rocketbladez having read the reviews all the way through this thread.

Had my first range session today. Noticed a big increase in distance over my old Mizuno irons consistently with the 6-P.

I really struggled to hit the 4 and 5 though, even off the tee. That said it took a while for me to get used to my old 4 and 5 so I'm prepared to put in the hours again!

Playing twice this weekend so will give my proper feedback then. Only been playing since May but I'll do my best for you guys!

Looking forward to it. Congrats on the new irons!

jlukes, that is a truly amazing finish you made the RocketBladez look like, it's like an entirely different set of irons.

It's really amazing how changing that one stripe changed the entire look of the club.

It's really amazing how changing that one stripe changed the entire look of the club.

Agreed, it looks like an entirely different set!

I will say this on my early thoughts which I will expand later

1. Getting fit makes a big difference
2. KBS shafts are sooooo smooth
3. How does a five iron go so high and still so far?

TapaTalk from the iPhone

Ok, I am going to try and post a bit more feedback.

Looks: These things are gorgeous. I think they are a great blend of forgiveness and a sharp look. I do think I will take the yellow stripe off at some point, but for now it is fine.

Short irons: I have the AW-8 irons in the short irons. These things worked really well for me today. I enjoy the looks and feel of these. On pure shots these things feel really good. I realized with a slower tempo these things worked better for me. I saw a very high ball flight, but I didn't seem to notice yardage loss.

Long irons: I think these speed slots work. I know it is early in my ownership of these things, but I can't tell you how many times I just said "wow" after a shot with these long irons. I have no clue how a 5 iron goes as high as these, but it should make holding a green a bit easier.

So far I really like them. I only hit about 80 golf balls, but I do enjoy them so far

I played a 9-hole executive course with my son today, didn't keep score just enjoyed the beautiful weather (high 70's & breezy) and some good father-son time. All the shots with the Rocketbladez were on a tee and the longest iron I hit was the 7, very consistent yardages (even with my new "swing easy & deliberate" approach). Nice high-launch with most shots, balls were stopping dead on the greens with at the most one/two hops. I had a couple of high-draws that drew too much and ended up left of the green, I re-hit some of those with my J38's and I was more accurate. I think it has to do with the heavier PX 6.0's in the J38's vs. the lighter Rocketfuel shafts.

Had another round with the RBladez today.

Highlight today was actually the 5 iron which on every occasion today proved to be not only very long, but supremely easy to hit.

Par 3 16th today was playing to 177 yards to the middle of the green. Slight cross wind from left to right, and temperature was obviously a factor 2-3*c today. 5iron was struck sweetly and the ball flight was B.. E.. A.. U.. T.. I.. F.. U.. L.. Very slight movement to the right in the wind, and the ball hit the green once, hopped 2 or 3 feet forward and finished up on the fringe. Shot measured out to about 183-184 yards, which in today's cold conditions was impressive.

Seriously contemplating trying to get hold of a 4 iron with the KBS Tour90 shaft, to see how it compares to my Rescue 11 21*, will have to wait and see what popes up on EBay....

Player 18 today but we got more rain last night than they originally projected so the conditions weren't great. Temperatures were in the mid 40s, virtually no wind, but very damp. Fairways were soft and so were the greens.

My swing was a bit off today, but I still had a decent round. I hit some beautiful approach shots with the 8, 9, and PW today. Just beautiful trajectory where the ball either came down and backed up, or just plugged into the green. The greens weren't THAT soft, but the ball just goes THAT high. Hit some fantastic punch shots out of the trees with the 5 iron today as well.

I had no issues with excessive digging in the wet grass. The wonderful turf interaction off of a variety of surfaces continues.

I didn't get to hit 4 iron or 6 iron that much today. I had one absolutely missile with a 4 iron, but it got up so fast that it clipped a limb that I didn't anticipate hitting and deflected off target.

I think during my next range session I am going to focus on slowing down my swing a bit, as well as focus on coming from the inside more to try to eliminate the extreme outside-in swing that I was seeing today. Even though I was hitting some slices, they were still fairy accurate in that I was barely missing the green rather than being 20 yards right of the green. Distance was complete unaffected.

Played 17 at Heritage Harbor in Lutz today. Play was pretty slow, as per usual, so I didn't take any pictures because the down time was spent being frustrated at the foursomes who were in no particular hurry to do much of anything.I figured out the RBLDZ AW, i just choked down on it and the ball started going straight and high. Not real sure how choking down on one of the shortest clubs in the bag made it work better, but whatever, it works now. Played pretty well for myself, shot a 44 on the front, then blew up two holes on the back nine, but parred the last three. Skipped 14 because there were two groups on the tee when I got there. I'm still finding my thin shots are getting much more height with these irons as opposed to my 2.0s, and hits out on the toe are still going more straight than leaking right like they used to. No birdies, but had some birdie putts, so we're getting better. Its a welcome change to have the confidence in these clubs I was lacking before with the 2.0s, being able to aim where I want and instead of going for general areas.

Played my first round of year and shot 81. Hit irons ok but not great. I need range time but that won't happen until March where I live. I think I hit Rocketbladez about the same distance that I did with Burners. I,unlike many others, am not finding that I hit irons much higher. I did play first time with SW and LW. I used the SW alot for chipping and did fine with it. I also used the AW for chipping and did ok with that club too. So far l like the clubs ok but am not in love with them.

Had a couple pretty good practice sessions over the weekend. Yesterday's session was particularly good and it paid off with some very nice results with the RocketBladez 5 iron. I'm not going to throw out numbers, but I'll just say that it was longer and higher launching than I'd personally expect to hit a 5 iron and that made me a happy guy.

Missing low hurt my hands on Saturday, but it was 33° with a 15 mph wind. Nothing could make that feel good.

I brought my other 7 iron to my practice session yesterday, mainly for old times sake. I sort of wish I hadn't because I really just mashed it and everything seemed so right. One very interesting thing to me is that my well struck shots with my 588 CB are neck and neck with the RocketBladez. Spin is higher too, which isn't all that bad because I'm bordering on the low side. I also feel like the last two times I've hit them, the number of good shots vs bad shots is better with my CB's. I don't know why that is. As I've noted before, misses are more penal though.

I feel like I'd love to capitalize on the benefits of the RocketBladez longer irons while still utilizing the 588's in the rest of my set, but lofts, lie, length, weighting, etc, all make that an unlikely scenario. In summary, I'm quite conflicted about the whole thing.

Hawk - Interesting thoughts. What are some of the things that make you like the 588 scoring irons better than the Rocketbladez?

Love hearing about how easy the longer irons are to hit. Think it's something any average golfer loves to hear.

Hawk - Interesting thoughts. What are some of the things that make you like the 588 scoring irons better than the Rocketbladez?

I like the way they feel in hand and how they look for starters. Shallow reasoning, but I do. Also, I just seem to hit them well. Pay me no mind though lol. I'm like the guy that ran into his ex at the bar last night.

Love hearing about how easy the longer irons are to hit. Think it's something any average golfer loves to hear.

They really are. The numbers I see with the 5 and 6 iron are somewhat astounding to me. Not internet long, but definitely Hawklong.

Back