TaylorMade RSi 1 Irons Review Thread

Amazing to see how quickly this thread blew up, only being 10 hours old.

taylormadegolf1_zpsc61ac7a3.png

I hope our testers can validate this over time. That's pretty incredible.

Bringing back the TP badge is a good move.

Dan I think back to our first round together and watching you dismantle a course with Burner 2.0 irons. I can't imagine how high and far you'd hit these.

I played the 2.0's for quite a while as I felt they were ahead of the game. Wondering if the same can be said about the RSI line.

I have a feeling you would love them. I am apparently the minority but love my TP MC's. I think these are in line with them with better launch on the low irons.

Yes, the Tour Preferred line definitely brought on some interesting conversation.

Im definitely intrigued by these as I love my speedblades. However I would definitely need to see them in hand and hit them before passing judgment because right now I personally do not like the slot on the face of the club, think I would find it very distracting. But obviously no way to tell until I hit them.

Would you say that these irons are more GI geared?

I thought the SB was high launching too. These were really high in comparison

This is just shocking to me. I bought the speedblades because of their extremely high launch combined with its corresponding distance, which I love. For these to be much higher launching is simply amazing.

Huge props to Taylormade for providing their MC Staffers with these clubs to test out. These look like some sharp irons and Taylormade hasn't disappointed the last few years with their clubs.

So, I'm definitely going to be interested to hear about those face slots after a few months of use. I want to commend the people in here. The comparison pics to the SLDR irons gives me great perspective. The RSi irons by themselves look bulky, but when you put it side by side to a SLDR, its looks pretty darn close to the same size. That gives me great perspective.

I see the TP line is forged. I like Taylormade, I like them so much I've been playing the same set of TM irons for the past 12 years. But didn't TM just say a year or two ago that the club of the future will not be forged? It makes no difference to me between cast and forged, I just find it interesting.

From what you guys are showing for results off toe hits, I am definitely intrigued. I'm much more likely to go out on the toe than in the heel.

Question, and I've had this question since they did the speed slot. The speed slot is inset a bit, so it doesn't take as much abuse from sticks, rocks, or whatever is in the ground when you hit. Are the slots on the face inset, or are they level with the face? It may take some time and usage to get an answer to this question, but what about when you are hitting out of a fairway bunker, and a rock (not sand, but a rock, because that happens) gets between the ball and the face on the toe? Is that rock going to to damage the the material in the slot?

thanks everyone

~Rock

Wow. Amazing of taylormade to send sets to their staffers first to test that awesome. Secondly the TP version is extremely intriguing!!

Would you say that these irons are more GI geared?

I would say that with these releases TaylorMade has kind of blurred the lines a bit. So these are probably GI with some SGI. While the RSi2 is like the SLDR irons, a GI iron in a slightly smaller package that will give you more of a look like it's a GE iron.

Last edited:
Im going back through my notes and realized one I had a slight issue with. I took a couple of the irons out on a round when we first got them and hit a couple out of the rough. I dont know if it was just the type of rough or the fact that it was the longer irons but I was having some issues getting the ball to stay at a constant trajectory. The club heads were kind of sticking in the ground a little and produced very inconsistant results. I dont know if the grass interference between the ball and club face caused this or it just wasnt a good swing but that is something to note. Anyone else have something similar?

I had the exact same issue Kyle. I had very similar notes about that, but wanted to give them another round or two before I made a comment. While I was getting a nice towering trajectory from the fairway and even first cut, I did have some smother issues in the longer bermuda rough.

Two things about that though: why am I in wet bermuda rough? Why am I expecting good results? 8I – PW wasn't awful, but 7i-5i was not desireable

I had the exact same issue Kyle. I had very similar notes about that, but wanted to give them another round or two before I made a comment. While I was getting a nice towering trajectory from the fairway and even first cut, I did have some smother issues in the longer bermuda rough.

Two things about that though: why am I in wet bermuda rough? Why am I expecting good results? 8I – PW wasn't awful, but 7i-5i was not desireable

Interesting That my situation was wet Bermuda rough as well... It wasn't that I was expecting something desirable as much as with the forgiveness built in I thought it would react a little better. I blame Jameis

For my fellow MC'ers, if you grouped these into 3 club categories in terms of long, mid and scoring irons which have you been most impressed with?

For me it is the ease and consistency of the long irons
The longer irons for sure, the 5 iron in this set has been phenomenal for me. I don't carry a 3 or 4 iron anymore, but was able to put a good swing on this 3 iron. It launched too low for me to actually use it, but I was surprised at how solid it felt at contact. I haven't hit a 3 iron in over 10 years!

Interesting That my situation was wet Bermuda rough as well... It wasn't that I was expecting something desirable as much as with the forgiveness built in I thought it would react a little better. I blame Jameis

It's something I want to test a bit more this weekend and see if it was just a fluke thing or what. Low squirters though usually aren't a result I see a lot of with irons out of bermuda on really aggressive moves.

Great reviews so far guys, and keep them coming! This is one of my favourite parts about THP

I'll definitely be following along!

Im going back through my notes and realized one I had a slight issue with. I took a couple of the irons out on a round when we first got them and hit a couple out of the rough. I dont know if it was just the type of rough or the fact that it was the longer irons but I was having some issues getting the ball to stay at a constant trajectory. The club heads were kind of sticking in the ground a little and produced very inconsistant results. I dont know if the grass interference between the ball and club face caused this or it just wasnt a good swing but that is something to note. Anyone else have something similar?

I wonder if it is a turf interaction (sole) issue, a groove spacing/depth issue, or none of the above.

This is awesome! So happy for the TMaG staffers. Great that we're going to get a lot of feedback on these before they hit the street

Edit: Just saw that the TP badge is back too. Nice aesthetic addition for those who loved the logo.

Might be sole turf interaction? Really not sure yet.

These things are definitely forgiving. I have a par 3 at my home course that is all water between the tee box and green. I mishit my 8 iron towards the toe and low on the face, it felt terrible and I knew immediately that it was wet. The ball was quite a bit lower than my normal 8 iron, but it managed to carry the water leaving me a 2 putt par instead of hitting 3 off the tee.

I don't know about you guys, but man the weight of these threw me off. They just feel extremely light to swing.

I don't know about you guys, but man the weight of these threw me off. They just feel extremely light to swing.
Not as light as I was expecting coming from TP MCs with C Taper. I was pleasantly surprised with the feel.

Are you saying these are lighter than the Speedblade and SLDR? Aren't the shafts in these a bit heavier?

I'm really interested in the RSi 2 or TP and will see if I can hit them this week! Might be the ones that finally replace my R11's :act-up:

Back