TaylorMade RSi 1 Irons Review Thread

Don't worry Franklin51, I'm sure the "S" version of these irons will be out in 3 months.

Interesting, since they are replacing the SpeedBlades that came out over a year ago.

The speedblades weren't my thing and neither were the rocketbladez. But that video has me thinking about those TP irons. I'm not big on TMAG but even I will give these a go

For the record, I could not hit the 8 iron 170 yards. It was actually right in line with my SLDR 8 iron around 130 yards.

For the record, I could not hit the 8 iron 170 yards. It was actually right in line with my SLDR 8 iron around 130 yards.

I'm with you, I haven't found these to be too long. Although I'm not in the boat where I hit my PW 140+ yards as it is. I'm going to see if I can borrow Pete's SC100 soon and maybe get some sort of numbers.

Interesting, since they are replacing the SpeedBlades that came out over a year ago.

This is quite accurate. I think the confusion comes with the SLDR irons.
They came out with Speedblades well over a year ago (THP Hosted an Ultimate Club Testing).
Then they came out with TP line (THP hosted an Ultimate Club Testing).
Then they came out with SLDR, which I think most thought replaced the SpeedBlades (they didnt).
Now they are coming out with this set for early 2015, which is to replace, all of those (other than MB).

I love new launches and I love more launches. I think people are just confused because of the SLDR and where they fell, along with how they fell in line with that launch discussing forged irons vs cast irons, etc.

They came out with Speedblades well over a year ago (THP Hosted an Ultimate Club Testing).
Then they came out with SLDR, which I think most thought replaced the SpeedBlades (they didnt).
Now they are coming out with this set for early 2015, which is to replace, all of those (other than MB).

I love new launches and I love more launches. I think people are just confused because of the SLDR and where they fell, along with how they fell in line with that launch discussing forged irons vs cast irons, etc.

Yup, I mean the SLDR irons launched in May, so one could say their lifespan was rather short. That being said I really like what TM is doing with this release. They will still carry the TP Blade, but then after that everything else will be under the RSi umbrella. I think it will assist in removing confusion to the consumer. Also, the new tech sounds pretty impressive. Now how well it will actually work for us, the jury is still out on. But as far as getting their products aligned, I like it.

It doesn't seem too soon for the speedblades a year ago and and the tp in January a year from the Tour Preferred line, but it does seem like the RSi 2 is kind of a replacement for the SLDR, or at least aimed at the same golfer.

Yup, I mean the SLDR irons launched in May, so one could say their lifespan was rather short. That being said I really like what TM is doing with this release. They will still carry the TP Blade, but then after that everything else will be under the RSi umbrella. I think it will assist in removing confusion to the consumer. Also, the new tech sounds pretty impressive. Now how well it will actually work for us, the jury is still out on. But as far as getting their products aligned, I like it.

100% agreed. If you ignore the SLDR irons launch, this one fits in absolutely perfectly. Apparently around the internet, releasing lots of options is cool if you are some companies, and awful if you are others. To me, launches are fun, give choices, help consumers with pricing and give golfers the latest technology.

I just do not understand the SLDR irons launch at all. Based on everything they said, its like the opposite of what is happening here. But I like what I am seeing here and will have a lot more coming as I continue to test these.

100% agreed. If you ignore the SLDR irons launch, this one fits in absolutely perfectly. Apparently around the internet, releasing lots of options is cool if you are some companies, and awful if you are others. To me, launches are fun, give choices, help consumers with pricing and give golfers the latest technology.

I just do not understand the SLDR irons launch at all. Based on everything they said, its like the opposite of what is happening here. But I like what I am seeing here and will have a lot more coming as I continue to test these.

Completely agree with that SLDR iron launch. Not so much with the product itself, because I thought they were good irons, but what we were told at the time. However this does seem to signify the end of the SLDR lineup and steers us back to the R convention.

SLDR strikes me as a last ditch effort to compete with some other offerings and milk the SLDR name one last time before moving on.
I liked the SLDR irons quite a bit and at the time I thought they were Tmags best offering so I expect to like the RSi2 as well.

In my opinion, the SLDR iron was launched in response to a competitor's iron with very similar characteristics. The SLDR is kind of a blend between a GI and a player's club, and this other competitor's iron (which will remain nameless but is currently in my bag) was released earlier in the year.

I never thought that this competitor's iron really compared to Speedblades or the TP CBs or MCs. But the SLDR irons are a very close match.

I have only had limited interaction with the SLDR irons. But I have been thoroughly impressed with them. They seem to set up well for me.

My only question is whether the RSi2 irons are intended to replace the SLDR irons.

Oh -- and TM could release another set of irons in three months and I would appreciate it. An opportunity for something different or a chance to get a deal on the prior release.

Both of those sound good to me.

RSi2 is set to replace those SLDR irons.

RSi2 is set to replace those SLDR irons.

I really may look for a set of SLDR irons in the spring, then. I'll finish the looming winter hibernation first.

I'd be interested in trying the RSi2s though.

Good stuff guys! The line looks pretty interesting. Great pics too!

I don't think that's being rude. I think a lot of things in the golf industry have been looked at as gimmicky at one point or another. Think about movable weights, adjustable hosels, speed slots, etc.
Well put buddy, and I think some seem gimmicky if they don't perform, but in the end it's all about performance!

All I can say is .. . . wow....way to go TMAG !
These irons look badass and I can't wait to hit them.

Oh -- and TM could release another set of irons in three months and I would appreciate it. An opportunity for something different or a chance to get a deal on the prior release.

Both of those sound good to me.

TM will be releasing a RSI TP set in January!

TM did it big tonight on the shows on PGA Tour Radio. One of the most interesting things I discovered was in testing, Mishits a 1/2 inch from the center of the face were going 5-7 yards further in the RSi I irons than the Speedblades..... Really incredible

The more I hear about irons the more I want to hit them.

TM did it big tonight on the shows on PGA Tour Radio. One of the most interesting things I discovered was in testing, Mishits a 1/2 inch from the center of the face were going 5-7 yards further in the RSi I irons than the Speedblades..... Really incredible

And the speedblades were plenty forgiving.

You heard that too huh? Half an inch mishit on an iron is darn near missing the iron

You heard that too huh? Half an inch mishit on an iron is darn near missing the iron

Yea, teaching could be a thing of the pass if you can start getting away with Mishits that bad

Yea, teaching could be a thing of the pass if you can start getting away with Mishits that bad

A poor swing might be masked by tech as far as distance control, but it can't fix a poor path etc

Back