TaylorMade SIM Drivers

And depending on the company how its measured.
The SIM I got was 45.75 with no grip.
MAVRIK was 45.75 with grip.

Im sure its a QC thing, but I found that interesting.

I measured the SIM I got at 45.75 with a grip. I am sure variations will be found.

Interesting feedback and appreciate it. Based on your trial what did you end up with? 8* Sim or another model?
Ended up with the 8* head to keep it neutral. I play a lot of rounds post night shift so I can get lazy with an open club face so if I do end up going up in loft at least it'll close the face a bit.

I also agree with everyone that the shaft lengths are ridiculous. I'm 5'7" so I choke down on everything as it is so I had the SIM cut down to 45" and I'll usually grip down to 43.5"

Still in my window for return/exchange but I'm planning on heading back to the shop to try the Maverik and go head to head.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

And depending on the company how its measured.
The SIM I got was 45.75 with no grip.
MAVRIK was 45.75 with grip.

Im sure its a QC thing, but I found that interesting.
So the SIM by most standards would actually be 46" then, yikes.

And I would say yikes to ANY brand at 46".

We really are getting close to Long Tom territory.

Thanks.

I couldn't remember for sure. I knew it was at least 45.5. These shaft lengths are stupid. They may produce high numbers on the one strike average golfers get centered. But over all it makes it harder to have more than one centered strike.

Overall though, I am very impressed with the SIM. Although, I am seeing more mavs being sold.
I have put the Mavrik SZ vs the SIM in head to head testing and each time the SIM came out on top for my swing. Did it at 3 different stores also. So I bought the SIM today, since the store had it in the back. I just had to ask for it, because they can’t put it out until Friday.

The SIM for some reason is easier to square up at impact than my M5. I play my 9* M5 head at a 9.75* setting and usually hit a straight or fade ball flight. I hit straight or draws with the SIM instead and the setting is the standard 9*. The SIM sole shape supposedly crates the most speed prior to impact. Makes me wonder, if the sole shape aerodynamics helps square the face too.

Last edited:
So the SIM by most standards would actually be 46" then, yikes.

And I would say yikes to ANY brand at 46".

We really are getting close to Long Tom territory.
they're just reacting to the XR being 46" stock in 2015

I have put the Mavrik SZ vs the SIM in head to head testing and each time the SIM came out on top for my swing. Did it at 3 different stores also. So I bought the SIM today, since the store had it in the back. I just had to ask for it, because they can’t put it out until Friday.

The SIM for some reason is easier to square up at impact than my M5. I play my 9* M5 head at a 9.75* setting and usually hit a straight or fade ball flight. I hit straight or draws with the SIM instead and the setting is the standard 9*. The SIM sole shape supposedly crates the most speed prior to impact. Makes me wonder, if the sole shape aerodynamics helps square the face too.

Thats wild. Ive had such a hard time in testing on squaring up the SIM. I played M5 all season and never had any issues with contact other the random crappy swing. I initially bough a Mavrik but got rid of it already. I'm sure ill be trying the SIM again very soon while the 150% trade is still active

Thats wild. Ive had such a hard time in testing on squaring up the SIM. I played M5 all season and never had any issues with contact other the random crappy swing. I initially bough a Mavrik but got rid of it already. I'm sure ill be trying the SIM again very soon while the 150% trade is still active
Can I have your Morgan Cup driver? ?

What shaft were you testing with? I used my gamer which is an older Diamana Blue S+ Limited 60 gram stiff.

Can I have your Morgan Cup driver? ?
Lol no chance! I've loved the results with the SZ over anything else ive hit.... I just have a problem with having 2 bags full of clubs!

What shaft were you testing with? I used my gamer which is an older Diamana Blue S+ Limited 60 gram stiff.

I used my gamer LA Golf Ozik Black Tie and was all over the place. Then put in the Lin-Q and had pretty similar awful results. Even tried the Sim MAX and that was worse

That was 2 weeks ago so maybe just an odd day, although I was hitting M5 exactly like ive seen all year

Got my Sim Max yesterday. And today... SNOW. Figures! We hardly ever get snow.

should be melted and around 50 Friday. Will give it a go then.

as far as length goes,
I ordered mine at 45” and it came in on the dot.

The SIM driver is also 3 grams lighter than the M5. Had to add lead tape to get a to 19 grams.

Killed it with the SIM today. Hit 10/14 fairways....haven’t hit that many fairways in a long time. I usually hit on average 55-60% of fairways. I would say 10-12 yards longer than my M5 and my score of 76 reflected it. The 3 players I was paired up all said, I was stripping it with the SIM.

We will definitely be spending time with this lineup for #RangeDays next week.

I finally got to test this today and it’s probably what I’m buying for this season. I hit a 9* head with the stock smoke green and Ventus Blue shafts in x-flex. I usually play my drivers at 44.5” and D2 and as a result I had a hard time getting the face to close at first and was hitting some out to the right due to face angle and heel side impact that were still spinning sub 3k. I think there is a ton of potential for this to be the longest club I’ve ever hit when built to my specs and with quality golf balls.

I moved the weight to the heel to help with face angle and saw the average spin drop to 2200 for me which I rarely see with a driver and even had a few 1800-2000 rpm strikes which I’m not sure I’ve ever hit before. The longest carries were just under 290 (312 total) with junk Wilson practice balls that were providing suboptimal ball speeds for me/my swing.

I also didn’t see it as anything like the SLDR when it comes to forgiveness or lack there of. Because of the club length not fitting me, the majority of the strikes were toward the heel and I was still seeing awesome spin numbers and great ball speed for that area of the face.

I love the SIM. The ball speeds with this our outstanding.

I am scared to go try one, love the M5

I am scared to go try one, love the M5
Donny, my M5 is in the closet now. That’s how good the SIM is for me. My M5 had a peak height of 110-115 feet and the SIM is between 90-100 and gives me the boring flight window I like to see.

I need to go hit these again & take my G410 lst to compare. the Ping edged out the Mavrik

I tried the SIMs yesterday and I’m thinking if you fight spin and have some speed, the std SIM Might be a good option to test. For my speed/spin tendencies, the SIM Max was giving me numbers I could play on course (2100 spin). The std SIM was giving me around 1800 to 1950. The ball speeds off of either didn’t necessarily impress me (compared to other current clubs), but the spin consistency was really good across both models. Lastly, the stock Ventus blue shaft in X felt very good. Think I could have no issue playing it. Of course, just not at 45.75” long.

Last edited:
I tried the SIMs yesterday and I’m thinking if you fight spin and have some speed, the std SIM Might be a good option to test. For my speed/spin tendencies, the SIM Max was giving me numbers I could play on course (2100 spin). The std SIM was giving me around 1800 to 1950. The ball speeds off of wither didn’t necessarily impress me, but the spin consistency was really good across both models. Lastly, the stock Ventus blue shaft in X felt very good. Think I could have no issue playing it. Of course, just not at 45.75” long.

Your spin numbers mirrored what I saw. I don't think I cracked 2100 with regular SIM and I am pretty steep.

Played 18 yesterday with the Sim Max and standard “Ventus blue” stiff shaft. Course was pretty wet so there was zero roll but my carry numbers seem improved as I was around 220-230 carry. I think the biggest thing for me was the accuracy. I may have aimed left or right of my target but the ball flight was dead straight. I usually dislike the feel of TM drivers at impact (likely a combination of a sound and feel) but this one felt different to me. The one big thing was I felt confident swinging the club. We have a TM fitting on the 20th so I’m going to try to get it dialed in as the fitter will have more shafts available. Overall I was pretty impressed. Hopefully 27 more today to try it out.

Last edited:
Just throwing this out there: I’ve read/watched videos on the interwebs with some seemingly conflicting reports on face angle of these drivers. I’ve read some say that the SIM max sets up closed and from what I saw yesterday, couldn’t disagree more. I perceived the std SIM actually as looking more closed in comparison. This could be due to many factors of course: shop lighting, differences in head shape, manufacture tolerances etc.. My point here is simply to not have any pre-conceived notions on either head and try em all if you can with an open mind. You might be surprised.

Back