TaylorMade SIM Drivers

@Canadan

Just got back from hitting these at Dicks. Just to get a feel for them not really a fitting by any means. Not a true picture since I wasn’t warmed up, but some general numbers:

Sim with Ventura blue stiff:
Club head 90 mph not warmed up
ball speed 130
Smash 1.45
Launch 16.8
Backspin 3098
Peak height 33 yds
Average Carry 201, total 221
Best 212 - 228

Sim max with Ventura red
Club head 92
Ball 133
Launch 15.2
Backspin 2980
Peak height 30 yds
Carry 201 total 224
Best 218 - 238

I tried the hzrdus green and that didn’t do much other than a few worm burners and the misses were way right/left - I suspect I was tired and sweaty palms inside the latex gloves didn’t help.

It was fairly evident that I was catching the sim high on the face - couldn’t adjust tee height though. But the max having a larger face helped obviously. The dispersion was better with the sim max and Ventura’s red.

I don’t feel like the twist face helped me at all other than feeling awful when I missed. It’s good feedback but misses still misses pretty badly.

I’m not blown away by any of that and it’s no better than what I’m playing. It’s likely user error more than the tool. I plan to play tomorrow and see how it goes and then go over to golf galaxy after since I’ll be warmed up and see if there’s any difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The whistle or whoosh sound drives me nuts.
Yeah there is definitely a weird sound there I'm glad I'm not the only one to hear it . You would think if it's catching the air and making that sound it would be creating drag, no?

Took my sim (9° with the stock diamana, lofted up to 10.5°, weight in the heel) out on the course today and hit it for the first time. Coming from the M5 which I hated, I was worried... But... This thing is pretty wicked. GPS and rangefinder had my drives at around 270-285 total which I am happy with. I found the launch to be very high but it was expected given that I lofted up to close the face a bit. But, even with the high launch in happy with the distance. I'll play with the loft once I get my swing back a bit more.
I hit the few drives I did take remarkably straight, hopefully I can keep this up (I realize it's not the club).
Sound is different but not awful, feel is I but harsher than in used to (previous driver is a GBB).

Last edited:

Happy new driver day! Me too!!!!
52e0a246cab767ac2a24be906313232d.jpg

d9b77e9d71b8526e5b0f7f1ca3f1e22a.jpg

Has anyone tested the SIM against the old SLDR? I've been gaming the latter since 2014, and honestly feel like TM has basically re-created the SLDR, with slightly more forgiveness by adding the "...asymmetric sole and powerful new Inertia Generator" as well as "Twistface" technology.

Otherwise, I see the same color scheme as the SLDR, similar "slider", and a dramatic focus on lowering spin.

Personally, I don't know that my SLDR will come out of the bag. I've just paired mine with the Evolution IV 569 in X-Flex, and I don't know that it can be beat.

Welp, the first range go with the Max/Ventus Blue shaft didn't go as I'd hoped. :(

I've read comments that this shaft has a softer butt section and now I'm wondering if that could be a potential reason I struggled to hit it consistently in my first range session. My swing isn't great right now, so there is that of course. The Mav SZ is sitting pretty atm.

Has anyone tested the SIM against the old SLDR? I've been gaming the latter since 2014, and honestly feel like TM has basically re-created the SLDR, with slightly more forgiveness by adding the "...asymmetric sole and powerful new Inertia Generator" as well as "Twistface" technology.

Otherwise, I see the same color scheme as the SLDR, similar "slider", and a dramatic focus on lowering spin.

Personally, I don't know that my SLDR will come out of the bag. I've just paired mine with the Evolution IV 569 in X-Flex, and I don't know that it can be beat.
To be fair, it’d be hard to NOT be more forgiving than the SLDR haha

I have been pretty steadfast that if someone liked SLDR, they will like SIM. Those that didn’t, might not. I was in the latter camp, despite my liking the look of it quite a bit. It was very low spin for me and when I missed high on the face or toe side, the ball went nowhere. That was at Club Champion though. Perhaps I see something different out on the course.

I have been pretty steadfast that if someone liked SLDR, they will like SIM. Those that didn’t, might not. I was in the latter camp, despite my liking the look of it quite a bit. It was very low spin for me and when I missed high on the face or toe side, the ball went nowhere. That was at Club Champion though. Perhaps I see something different out on the course.

I can tell you in my really brief experience with the G410 LST those high toe shots are penalized more on the SIM. The good swings go a country mile though.

Was this with the Standard SIM?

I can tell you in my really brief experience with the G410 LST those high toe shots are penalized more on the SIM. The good swings go a country mile though.

The G410 LST was similar to the SIM to me, but not quite as penal. I prefer the tech of the SIM with the carbon crown and having weight below the tee, as well as the aero that mimics much of the Cobra stuff.

Then again, I didnt get up with either, so what do I know :ROFLMAO:

Yes, but I didnt see the huge difference with the Max that some other did.

I didn't either other than the MAX is more stable over all.

I saw some pretty significant difference in spin rates with the Max model but nothing about the numbers put it ahead of any other clubs I hit.

The G410 LST was similar to the SIM to me, but not quite as penal. I prefer the tech of the SIM with the carbon crown and having weight below the tee, as well as the aero that mimics much of the Cobra stuff.

Then again, I didnt get up with either, so what do I know :ROFLMAO:
I like that the PING doesn't whoosh in my swing 🤣.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Thumb down to the Ventus Blue, for me the Diamana perform and feel better.
Do you find the diamana to launch VERY high?
I am now playing mine in (stiff with a 9° head) the upright setting and I find it launches a mile in the air. I get little to no roll once it lands. It carries tho, as I'm getting around 275-285 total distance on my drive but when I get to my ball the divot it made from landing is less than 10 feet behind me (if that).
I can't complain about the distance and how nearly straight it goes everytime but it just feels like I'm losing out of any roll.

At your speed that makes sense. I’m hovering around 105

For the people I fit, almost all are going higher lofts. I start with the 10.5 head and typically go up from there very much like the SLDR. I cannot even get the 8 degree head above 9 degrees launch.

For the people I fit, almost all are going higher lofts. I start with the 10.5 head and typically go up from there very much like the SLDR. I cannot even get the 8 degree head above 9 degrees launch.

As lofts go up, sometimes speed comes a bit down, so is this a fit to only this head or is it still the best option?

As lofts go up, sometimes speed comes a bit down, so is this a fit to only this head or is it still the best option?

I apologize, I am not sure I completely understand your question. What I think you are asking is if this is an overall practice or specific to this head? If that is the case it is very much specific to this head. With this head most are just launching it so low that speed is almost meaningless. It is hitting the ground around 180-200 yards.

If that is not the question, I apologize.

I apologize, I am not sure I completely understand your question. What I think you are asking is if this is an overall practice or specific to this head? If that is the case it is very much specific to this head. With this head most are just launching it so low that speed is almost meaningless. It is hitting the ground around 180-200 yards.

If that is not the question, I apologize.
Thanks. What I meant is when you are fitting, is it only this head. Meaning a person decides already they want a SIM? Or even when you start adding loft it’s still coming out as the best option, as in some cases more loft equals less speed.

Thanks. What I meant is when you are fitting, is it only this head. Meaning a person decides already they want a SIM? Or even when you start adding loft it’s still coming out as the best option, as in some cases more loft equals less speed.

For sure. There are a percentage of people. That come in and want what they want best fit or not, So I do my best to make that work. I am not a club champion fitter in the sense that I have unlimited options, but I am not golf galaxy either. kind of in the middle I guess.

If someone comes in and is not brand or head specific. The SIM is not where I start.

Not this guy! I have an AoA of about 4.2 on average so I’m hitting too much up on it for 10.5 and every driver I hit was super spiny at that loft. Even with 18 different shafts. I settled on the Ventus blue 6s (made for) and it fits me well. With a 9d head set at 9.75, I get Lower spin (down to 2400-2700 from 3700! And launch angle down around 14.5 (down from 16.5 on my previous). I still need to work on getting it down to about 13 and I think this will be a killer! I hit a few bombs today with it (for me) getting one out to 257 Into a steady wind. A few rounds with it and I should have my swing dialed into and it’ll only be better.

Back