TaylorMade SIM Drivers

Maybe it's the blue or maybe it's the chalk, but that looks really good.
I think it’s both. Although I think the blue would have looked good with the silver from the M3 as well.

Well I showed up at the club and was handed this GEM today. 6 swings later, it won’t be leaving the bag.

I have not been a fan of the sound of the last couple of Taylormade drivers. The SIM improved upon that, to me anyway. The shape of the head works for me as well. The off center weighting provided a nice launch in the standard 10.5* setting with the slide in neutral.

The explosiveness off the face might be a new driver thing, as they all seem to do that, but it was noticed by the pro, assistant pro and a buddy of mine. He actually asked for a model of his own. They handed him a 7.5* with a 6.5 Smoke shaft and he was launching them along side me. I can’t wait til tomorrow when I get to see it in action again

8fd45f6ce4a7a9322daa335bc5c5a130.plist
0ebd64247af447d06d1276c0942b16d2.jpg
ffc6bc8c67b1491f2892305a5bac31a8.jpg
f18909e4f4f9359ecc5b62812e7542a9.plist
828820caac93ef924785393ca1d31533.plist

Here a tight little grouping on the second hole. It’s been a bit wet so this location hasn’t been reached this winter until today.
76688dea9237e1814e19945ae33a5ce7.jpg

Little sound test

That sounds pretty good!!!

Hit both of these at the Dick's near my home last night. Just went in and the bay was open and they had a bag full of the drivers so I swung a few with each head. This was not a fitting so I was not getting dialed in or anything. Both heads were 10.5. Like all TaylorMade drivers to me they feel really firm which I don't prefer. The SIM had the same problem the M5 had for me I just could not make the ball launch. Lot's of line drives with lots of roll out. I hit 2 or 3 in a row that were 160-170 carry and total distance 200-210. The SIM Max was better for me but still fairly low launching compared to my TS3. The total distance was similar in that I was getting 230-240 but the carry was only 200-210 instead of 210-220. I hit down on the ball and rely on spin for launch so these heads are probably low spin. I did not get into the diagnostics because I didn't want to mess with their computer. I would definitely need to be fit to find a good combo for myself here.

Has a chance to demo this yesterday and the look is amazing, best TaylorMade driver yet. Feel was good and the results were good for me with Ventus. Getting 13.1 launch with 2400rpm on the backspin. Right now this and the SZ are my favorites.

Had a chance to hit one today. TBH didn’t pay much attention to what shaft was in it or write down any numbers. I was seeing some really good dispersion and distances were around 270 total. I felt like it was launching a bit low though and also that I could have adjusted the sliding weight to optimize it a bit but just the stock setup I would not have missed any fairways with the half dozen or so swings I took.

Ugh. The Sim Max isnt too bad but the regular Sim is U.G.L.Y. ugly! I dont think that Id put one in the bag even if they gave it to me for free. I know that you cant see the weight at address but having to look at the ugly bottom of that club every time I pulled the headcover off is a hard pass for me.

I love that blue the more I look at it...and yeah Sim Max > Sim to me as well @Badger_Golfer ...we'll see what January 2021 holds for my bag :rolleyes:

Early feedback seems pretty consistent, LOW spin. @JB is that what you saw too? Are thy back on that old train again?

Early feedback seems pretty consistent, LOW spin. @JB is that what you saw too? Are thy back on that old train again?

It was for me. Tested with my local pro who is on staff with them. As I wrote earlier, fans of SLDR are going to really enjoy this one. It looks good, it sounds a little ceramic, but I liked that. It was just so low spin for me and not forgiving out on the toe (my miss).

I love that blue the more I look at it...and yeah Sim Max > Sim to me as well @Badger_Golfer ...we'll see what January 2021 holds for my bag :rolleyes:
Hey, more power to anyone who sees it, hits it, likes it and it helps their game. I'll be keeping my Tommy Armor Atomic. ?‍♂️

Hey, more power to anyone who sees it, hits it, likes it and it helps their game. I'll be keeping my Tommy Armor Atomic. ?‍♂️

while I was warming up, I overheard a guy telling the club pro how badly TM screwed up with the Sim line...and there was back and forth banter supporting the TM bashing which I thought was entertaining since neither has hit the thing.

Its was pretty damn close to the SZ in spin for me with the weight in the back.

while I was warming up, I overheard a guy telling the club pro how badly TM screwed up with the Sim line...and there was back and forth banter supporting the TM bashing which I thought was entertaining since neither has hit the thing.
Yeah, I mean, no one really knows if its a good club or not, other than TM and maybe a few dozen people who have maybe hit it pre-release. I just think its ugly and unfortunately for me, Im someone who if I dont like the look of a club, Im never going to like it or hit it well.
It was much the same for me with the Cleveland Launchers. Im sure they are great clubs but I cant get past the way they look. ?‍♂️

It was for me. Tested with my local pro who is on staff with them. As I wrote earlier, fans of SLDR are going to really enjoy this one. It looks good, it sounds a little ceramic, but I liked that. It was just so low spin for me and not forgiving out on the toe (my miss).

Through a few fittings, I have seen the low spin too and toe misses are a little more penal. I would say it is more stable spin wise than the SLDR, where a small miss could wreak havoc with spin numbers and thus distance/direction. So far the only fairly good fits have been two younger players who are 105+ and an older gentleman who has an old school flip (intentional in his case) at impact and who centers the ball a good deal. Interesting that the spin is so low with the weight, at least visually, so far back. Definitely a need to loft up for most players.

Reactions to the look and feel have been all over the board. Will be interesting to see how this sells come spring - don't move many drivers this time of year since we are at least 4 months away from playing outside.

Through a few fittings, I have seen the low spin too and toe misses are a little more penal. I would say it is more stable spin wise than the SLDR, where a small miss could wreak havoc with spin numbers and thus distance/direction. So far the only fairly good fits have been two younger players who are 105+ and an older gentleman who has an old school flip (intentional in his case) at impact and who centers the ball a good deal. Interesting that the spin is so low with the weight, at least visually, so far back. Definitely a need to loft up for most players.

Reactions to the look and feel have been all over the board. Will be interesting to see how this sells come spring - don't move many drivers this time of year since we are at least 4 months away from playing outside.

Virtually identical for Me. My issue is once you start lofting up too far, you can run the risk of a reduced speed. Fortunately TaylorMade doesn’t lack speed with the SIM so that shouldn’t be much of an issue.

I am playing with my pro tomorrow, so will be testing again.

Virtually identical for Me. My issue is once you start lofting up too far, you can run the risk of a reduced speed. Fortunately TaylorMade doesn’t lack speed with the SIM so that shouldn’t be much of an issue.

I am playing with my pro tomorrow, so will be testing again.

Yes, I will be interested in seeing if you can retain sufficient ball speed as you increase the loft. It does seem like there is a smaller window to find an ideal fit due to the low spin. That said, if you can hit that window, the performance could be very good.

Yes, I will be interested in seeing if you can retain sufficient ball speed as you increase the loft. It does seem like there is a smaller window to find an ideal fit due to the low spin. That said, if you can hit that window, the performance could be very good.

Totally agree. I think for players that are quite fast in swing, this could be a fun option. For those more moderate, the struggle could be real.

Totally agree. I think for players that are quite fast in swing, this could be a fun option. For those more moderate, the struggle could be real.

Moderate speed with pretty consistent contact I MIGHT be able to fit effectively. But for those who move their misses around the face, I do not believe this will be a good option.

Have a Division 1 player coming in Tuesday evening so interested to see how he does with it. He's probably the target market and at least one of his teammates has moved to the SIM.

I understand why they have one design with these characteristics as it fills a niche but I do not understand why their second one isn't something that would fit more of the bell curve. Our rep suggested the Max would fill that role but we really have not seen much difference in the numbers (although there does seem to be a bit of draw bias in that head).

I hit the 9* SIM and SIM Max at my golf shop with Hulk Smoke 6.5 shaft. I prefer the SIM Max, but Hulk shaft was to stout. I’m a high spin player and was getting 2200 spin with the SIM Max. My club head speed is between 105-110 depending on the day. Flight height was 26 yards, which is to low for me. I would game a mid spin and mid launch shaft, so I don’t have to loft up.

Anyone have a comparison of the 6.0 hulk green vs any other Hzrdus or EF shaft? I’m really wanting to try this in the 6.0 green.

If Brendan Steele keeps it up over these next few holes it looks like SIM is getting its first PGA Tour win.

Anyone have a comparison of the 6.0 hulk green vs any other Hzrdus or EF shaft? I’m really wanting to try this in the 6.0 green.

It's hard to explain how stiff the tip of the Hulk is. I have had guys in with 110 swingspeeds and they did not feel they could load it. If you have not tried it, you need to. We have the Black in quite a few drivers but have not fit the Green to anyone yet - launch and spin are just too low.

It's hard to explain how stiff the tip of the Hulk is. I have had guys in with 110 swingspeeds and they did not feel they could load it. If you have not tried it, you need to. We have the Black in quite a few drivers but have not fit the Green to anyone yet - launch and spin are just too low.
Yeah, that spin part is likely going to be why u can’t use it

Sure I’ve compared Smoke green to smoke yellow, smoke black, and even flow blue. What specifically would you like to compare?

I definitely want to try this combo. Hopeful for this spring!

Back