TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

Welcome to reality with the SLDR.

And you already pondering other driver heads. :alien:

I've never ballooned a tee shot before with my set up. In fact, I have been thinking a touch higher flight would be fun. But some of my shots today did. I'm pondering other drivers because an SLDR in a Callaway event feels odd. Same feelings happened in January.

Big Bertha (alpha is my preference) over SLDR ALL day long.

Big Bertha (alpha is my preference) over SLDR ALL day long.

Meh. The stock shaft in the BBa was a poor fit and something proper was too much of an upcharge. But a ballooned tee shot that ends up where those did today, down the middle and a respectable distance, I can live with for a miss.

Stock shaft? You don't play stock shafts so that's really out of the equation.

That head is immensely better than SLDR.

Stock shaft? You don't play stock shafts so that's really out of the equation.

That head is immensely better than SLDR.

For you it's better. For me it works great.

The price I paid for my fitted SLDR was less than what I could get a properly fit BBa for. Side to side dispersion was better for me with the SLDR.

For you it's better. For me it works great.

The price I paid for my fitted SLDR was less than what I could get a properly fit BBa for. Side to side dispersion was better for me with the SLDR.

If it's working that great then you shouldn't change.

Sure it's a Callaway event, but no requirement to show up with their equipment in your bag.

If it's working that great then you shouldn't change.

Sure it's a Callaway event, but no requirement to show up with their equipment in your bag.

So hawkpondering new equipment because shiny things are fun isn't allowed?

I like shiny things :D

So hawkpondering new equipment because shiny things are fun isn't allowed?

I like shiny things :D

I won't detract from this thread anymore....you ponder all ye like, good luck in your search!

I won't detract from this thread anymore....you ponder all ye like, good luck in your search!

Please note... I'm not searching. Just thinking out loud...via a keyboard

Played my 10th practice round with the TP SLDR today. I previously dialed the loft down to 9* and I've been hitting it slightly farther than my 8* R11 but with a slower, more controlled swing. My downswing is on the steep side, so for giggles I adjusted the SLDR's loft down to 8.5* at the turn and still hit the ball much higher than my R11 but 10-15 yards farther, likely due to the baby draw as opposed to the fade with the R11. The lower spin is helping me hit more fairways and I really like the 460cc head. Now I'm motivated to experiment with the remaining 10 million combinations.

One thing that has thrown me for a loop is how noticeable different brands of balls feel and carry with this driver. Every ball felt like a rock off the R11. The SLDR must be more sensitive because I can feel the difference in compression at contact that I've never experienced before. Titleist balls feel like I left the headcover on, but Nike and Bridgestone are like missiles.

Last edited:
When doing a lot more experimenting with the settings on the range today, I determined that the sliding weight had very little effect if any at all on direction. So I lined up the weight with the center of the sweetspot on the clubface to put all the weight behind the ball. The flight and distance seemed much better but I won't know for sure until I take it onto the course. I feel I'm onto something though.

Y​ou are onto something. That's how I have mine set and it's a bomber. If I want to change direction I use the fct

There's a good video from Jason McNiven a club fitter over here who describes exactly what you have both said:
http://youtu.be/p8Gg16NYKcs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He had me running out and make sure mine wasn't set to draw...

Been playing this a couple weeks now paired with an Oban Devotion 4 coming from a r460 9.5, SS of 95. Have it set to 13.5 not so much because it's longer that way, I just like the way bombs look going through the air. I probably didn't need to upgrade from a 5 year old club, but mainly wanted that new shaft attachment technology to be able to change shafts. The SLDR is actually more unforgiving than the R7 460 and certainly not any longer. Like the video says, the sliding weight does pretty much nothing.

Y​ou are onto something. That's how I have mine set and it's a bomber. If I want to change direction I use the fct

Have you found your ideal loft? I've been resisting lofting up, but I'm finally ready to try it. I'm going to start at 10.5*.

Have you found your ideal loft? I've been resisting lofting up, but I'm finally ready to try it. I'm going to start at 10.5*.

I play mine at 10.5 standard loft. It's a really good driver. I personally believe the loft up campaign does not fit me. When it's calm I'll go up to 12 for some high bombs. 10.5 works as I get a nice amount of roll, with 12 I am carry further but don't get as much.

I play mine at 10.5 standard loft. It's a really good driver. I personally believe the loft up campaign does not fit me. When it's calm I'll go up to 12 for some high bombs. 10.5 works as I get a nice amount of roll, with 12 I am carry further but don't get as much.
Played 18 today with the weight directly behind the center of the sweet spot and it definitely worked. The ball jumped off the face much hotter and had the uber solid feel I like at impact. Tried all 6 of the lofts and 10.5* performed the best. I can't believe how straight I'm hitting this club. The lower spin really works. I can get it to fade by swinging harder and haven't tried hitting a draw with it yet.

Last edited:
TaylorMade SLDR Driver - Review Thread

I'm thinking of putting a 7m3 into mine. Just to see what happens. Worse that happens is I pull the 7m3 and put it back in storage

I'm thinking of putting a 7m3 into mine. Just to see what happens. Worse that happens is I pull the 7m3 and put it back in storage

I bet you will hit some laser beams

I'm still really liking my SLDR. Set at 12*, I'm getting a nice high flight that's giving me more distance than I had with my R1. And I'm not sure if it's the low spin, but it stays in play for me, with the distance. The R1 did as well, but on mis hits I'd get more of a pull that would stay low, get on the ground and typically was in play. Probably the biggest 180 impression I've had with a club, as I was lukewarm at best when I first hit it. Now, it's on the verge of entering PGG's golf club hall of fame (once eligibility requirements are met).

I'm still really liking my SLDR. Set at 12*, I'm getting a nice high flight that's giving me more distance than I had with my R1. And I'm not sure if it's the low spin, but it stays in play for me, with the distance. The R1 did as well, but on mis hits I'd get more of a pull that would stay low, get on the ground and typically was in play. Probably the biggest 180 impression I've had with a club, as I was lukewarm at best when I first hit it. Now, it's on the verge of entering PGG's golf club hall of fame (once eligibility requirements are met).

What do you think is the reasoning for the 180? Did you go through any swing changes or did time just help?

What do you think is the reasoning for the 180? Did you go through any swing changes or did time just help?

I think a lot had to do with a swing change. I first hit the SLDR at the first TM Ultimate Testing and my swing was in shambles then, so I wasn't hitting much well. But then I'd hit my R1 great, so I kind of dismissed the club. I went through months of lessons and then was fitted into the SLDR with a different shaft. It just felt like a different club and I loved it. I always thought it was the different shaft, but a few posts today make me think it was more due to the swing change. Or, maybe it's the higher loft. Or maybe a combination of all of those.

Played 18 today with the weight directly behind the center of the sweet spot and it definitely worked. The ball jumped off the face much hotter and had the uber solid feel I like at impact. Tried all 6 of the lofts and 10.5* performed the best. I can't believe how straight I'm hitting this club. The lower spin really works. I can get it to fade by swinging harder and haven't tried hitting a draw with it yet.

I played with this at the range tonight. I put the weight 2 notches over from the default and it felt really nice when I put a good seeing on it. The swing is a bit of a work in progress right now so I'm not bombing this regularly right now but I have to say this is the best feeling driver I have had in years now.

Back