TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter Review

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
TaylorMade’s new Milled Face Spider Tour X Proto putter offers a weighting configuration that seems almost opposite what we’ve come to expect in conventional club design. The center of gravity (CG) has been shifted forward, an option that TaylorMade previously only made available to Tour staff. While moving weight forward may seem unusual to some, especially on an ultra-forgiving design like the Spider, this concept isn’t completely new. In fact, it’s proven to be quite effective, even in mass marketed putters like Cleveland’s Frontline series.

Continue reading...

"Blade-like feel" on a Spider model is intriguing. I think this putter looks sharp, having long been a fan of the Spider I think it's a nice continuation of that line. Although I prefer an insert vs a milled offering, I wouldnt mind giving this one a shot. I like the alignment scheme they put on this, and am intrigued about the weight being moved to the front. Kind of makes sense to move the weight front on a larger putter.

IMO this is the best looking Spider putter yet. I love that it has a milled face, and that it isn't covered in paint; I haven't been a fan of previous Spider putters with paint because I don't like the way they look when the paint starts wearing away, or chipping. Anyway, I'm looking forward to holding one of these. I'm not a mallet putter guy but I do like the way these look behind the ball. I'm intrigued for sure.

I like the looks of this one. Alignment is super easy and a blade like feel is intriguing.

Never thought they would release this to the public after seeing Scottie and a few others use. This is right up my alley and has me very intrigued. Don't think I will get to try one out immediately, but definitely plan on giving it a go at some point!

This one interests me a lot. Spider alignment which I love with a blade feel sounds great.

I am looking forward to rolling this. The price, is pricey.. lol.

It is on the steep side.

I am sure it is quality and all and I would say this for any product. But paying 500 for a spider even a milled one is a tough pill.

Love seeing this, even if I never end up rolling one. Really love what TM is doing with these recent Spider releases - I bought one of the new Spider Tour putters and I’m enjoying it very much.

I like this but I’m a face-balanced kinda guy.

I'm a slant it could suit me pretty well. I was one of what seemed like about 5 people lol who played the Spider FCG (forward center of gravity). And I liked it. Copper insert was weird for some. This seems like a solid improvement on some of those concepts.

Good looking putter. Nice write up, @Hawk.

Still play my old Spider Tour. There's only one negative, you can't pick a Ball up with it. 😀

Took this to the putting green today.

Really love the looks and details of the putter. Love the smaller profile than some other spider putters I’ve used. The dark grey contrasts very well with the white true path alignment. Some other details like the indent on the hossel and the face screws add to the aesthetics for me. Not a huge fan of the blue bottom (wish it was grey as well), but that really my only complaint looks wise.

Performance wise, obviously alignment is top notch with the true path system. IMO true path is one of the easiest putters to align on the market today. Although I could feel the face wanting to rotate on my backswing, it still felt very stable with the rear weights. I had no issues hitting my starting lines. Speed control was impressive, which didn’t surprise me because I have always preferred the consistency milled faces provide in terms of pace.

The one things that you’ll eaither hate or love with this putter is the feel. It’s probably one the firmer putters I’ve ever used. While I love this, I don’t meet many others who prefer that type of feel. Overall I’m very happy with the putter and look forward to gaming it in the near future.

I kind of want a Spider X.

Seems to fix the worst putting golfers.

A TM spider is a putter I’ve always wanted but just never put one in the bag. I definitely prefer the older head shape circa 2017

I kind of want a Spider X.

Seems to fix the worst putting golfers.
Nba Finals Yes GIF by NBA

Rolled one, didn't LOVE it. Especially with the Jailbird on it's way, I couldn't justify it.
Jailbird over the Spider every day of the week, sir.

Back