TaylorMade Ultimate Club Testing - Live Update Thread

Sorry JB, thought I was in the other thread. Feel free to move it, total accident.

As I sit here, I might as well talk a little bit more about my fitting with Bob yesterday for the Speedblades.

Started off by hitting a few different 6i's and since I didn't bring my altitude 6 went on into the Speedblades. From iron to iron, even though the older ones had a higher loft, I gained 5 degrees of launch with the Speedblades and a solid bit of distance (Strangely contrary to the jacked up loft argument I know, hahahaha). Talking to Bob throughout my fitting I brought up the lower lofts and I loved that he said essentially that loft numbers are fine but launch doesn't lie. Lower loft but HIGHER launch than "traditional" lofts, the facts don't lie.

Ended up being told I need to go to 2 upright, which is a big change from my last experience and tells me how much my swing has evolved in the last year and a half. Also he recommended 2 wraps under a standard grip (whoooo! already had that right!). As for shafts, the stock shafts were good for me but he said as I sit where I could go S or X I could also think about something like the CTL's. I'll be staying S but Bob said if I ever feel like my dispersion is off I can handle the move to X with my iron swing.

All in all WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! To get to talk shop with one of the best fitters in the nation? Unreal.

I'll get more into the irons and thoughts when the thread goes up but I'll leave it at this, as someone who gamed the bladez for a long time, I honestly think those who think these are the same as the bladez will be very surprised because, to me, they're way less so than anyone realizes.

I'm on the plane about to take off but wanted to emphasize what a great time was had by all and to thank THP, TaylorMade and Championsgate for a pretty special weekend. Just a solid group of guys were there; Speed Blades were hit, birdies were made, balls were lost in gator ponds. I'll have more later, but what a good time.

Taps away

As I sit here, I might as well talk a little bit more about my fitting with Bob yesterday for the Speedblades.

Started off by hitting a few different 6i's and since I didn't bring my altitude 6 went on into the Speedblades. From iron to iron, even though the older ones had a higher loft, I gained 5 degrees of launch with the Speedblades and a solid bit of distance (Strangely contrary to the jacked up loft argument I know, hahahaha). Talking to Bob throughout my fitting I brought up the lower lofts and I loved that he said essentially that loft numbers are fine but launch doesn't lie. Lower loft but HIGHER launch than "traditional" lofts, the facts don't lie.

Ended up being told I need to go to 2 upright, which is a big change from my last experience and tells me how much my swing has evolved in the last year and a half. Also he recommended 2 wraps under a standard grip (whoooo! already had that right!). As for shafts, the stock shafts were good for me but he said as I sit where I could go S or X I could also think about something like the CTL's. I'll be staying S but Bob said if I ever feel like my dispersion is off I can handle the move to X with my iron swing.

All in all WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! To get to talk shop with one of the best fitters in the nation? Unreal.

I'll get more into the irons and thoughts when the thread goes up but I'll leave it at this, as someone who gamed the bladez for a long time, I honestly think those who think these are the same as the bladez will be very surprised because, to me, they're way less so than anyone realizes.

could you tell us what type of swing you have as far as tempo, SS, etc and when you gamed the Bladez where they stock stiff and how did they treat you...thanks for all the updates on this thread

could you tell us what type of swing you have as far as tempo, SS, etc and when you gamed the Bladez where they stock stiff and how did they treat you...thanks for all the updates on this thread

Quick tempo, pretty aggressive move from the top (sometimes way too much so, tempo is a constant work for me). Hit the bladez stock shafts in stuff for a while and also KBS Tour S's, enjoyed the stock shafts a good bit actually. These are the same way for me, I think a LOT of the guys from the weekend would agree they were solid. With my transition I could definitely tell a difference performance wise in smooth and quick though, much more receptive to a smooth tempo in my personal opinion.

Quick tempo, pretty aggressive move from the top (sometimes way too much so, tempo is a constant work for me). Hit the bladez stock shafts in stuff for a while and also KBS Tour S's, enjoyed the stock shafts a good bit actually. These are the same way for me, I think a LOT of the guys from the weekend would agree they were solid. With my transition I could definitely tell a difference performance wise in smooth and quick though, much more receptive to a smooth tempo in my personal opinion.

thanks...I'm the same way with tempo and too aggressive at the top at times...I've never thought of trying an x-stiff or a KBS Tour...but after reading what you guys are saying about the Blades I am very anxious to hit them

It didn't even occur to me that the shafts were stiff flex. I used my usual swing and it seemed to work ok. Didn't really try to get aggressive to accommodate the stiff. They are 10g lighter than my shafts so i wonder if that makes a difference. I'm usually a regular flex guy and totally blanked asking about it during the fitting.I have a more deliberate tempo and usually better when i keep my backswing compact. My 6 iron ss is around 80 (driver 95) but I've been taking a little off and concentrating on smash factor.

Honestly, i think your game would benefit from you staying at stiff. You kill the ball when you hit with a smoother tempo and xstiff might not facilitate that if you start thinking about it being xstiff and wanting to be even more aggressive.

On the other hand, someone like G4L seems to hit his best shots when he gets aggressive with his move (or even more aggressive given his beastly swing). I wouldn't be surprised if his dispersion tightened up going to x.

I completely agree regarding the stock shafts and thought they held up extremely well. I am definitely someone that get aggressive with the swing and really felt with a smooth tempo - these shafts were excellent.

A couple of times I tried to push it a little and I saw my ball draw more than normal. In the end it was a reminder to keep a smooth tempo throughout and I liked it.

Can't wait to playing a few more rounds with these!!

Also wanted to echo my sentiments on what a phenomenal weekend it was. The Omni Resort is top notch and was fantastic and very accomodating to us. The courses were fantastic! Taylormade went above and beyond to treat us like royalty. It was also obvious how much work JB and Morgan put into this event and I know there was 12 guys that appreciated everything. It was an amazing weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just wanted to let you guys know you killed it with this stuff. It's not easy to keep threads updated when you are out at a THP Function with everything else going on. Way to go fellas, you have my interest really piqued for these irons.

Bring on day 2!!!!

20130915_075809.jpg

Canadan is my golf hero!!! Sorry that I played so poorly, but I did manage to use every excuse (at least twice) I could for my poor play.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Canadan is my golf hero!!! Sorry that I played so poorly, but I did manage to use every excuse (at least twice) I could for my poor play.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

It wasn't playing poorly, it was getting you money's worth, and "laying up to a number." In all seriousness, I don't know why you don't swing that Driver more often. That thing was piped right down the middle on more than a few occasions..

Back